Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not surprised about the negative feedback from that last post I made. Things you need to understand to if I am listening to point being made. There are fair points like those who do not need it because they hardly drive to begin with. There are also those who questioned the clearance issue. When the price point is mentioned you have to remember what you are buying. If there is something I have learned over the years is American's(yes myself included) are cheap. If you want a good product you are going to have to pay. Dont want a good product then dont pay. It has already been stated by another member how Long Range Automotive is well known and has good products. Now if you still think you would rather just pay for a few gas cans that is fine but also understand 3 issues I have found(and only one is minor). Issue 1 is you have to plan for space if you dont have a mount for the can. Issue 2 is still have stop to fill up(I myself would rather fill 1 tank and call it good). As for ussue 3 is with the lovely capless fuel filler ford has. With that it does become an interesting process to fill the tank with a can since a funnel of sorts will be needed and hopefully you dont spill fuel in the process thanks to tue lovely EPA designed fuel can spouts(I have yet to meet someone who actually likes them). Just some food for thought.
The problem, really, is that you're asking for input but then getting a bit aggressive when people give it. You'll get a range of opinions and it's likely you won't agree with many, but you need to let it be and expect that as part of the ask.
Sponsored

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
If there was an above the frame option with something around 25 gallons I would purchase one. We tow a boat every weekend and average 11-12 mpg on a 200 mile trip. I would love to be able to make it there and back on one tank with fuel to spare.

Andy Portman

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Hauling all that extra gas weight around hurts gas mileage and is just that much more wear and tear on the vehicle. Liquids are heavy, as anybody that carries a 5 gallon gas can can attest to.

I can see the "tanker" option for an off road rig, but for a daily driver it makes no sense at all.

My bladder gives out way before the fuel tank does....
?? only problem with this logic is you can stop and empty your bladder. Can’t stop and refill the gas tank.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
?? only problem with this logic is you can stop and empty your bladder. Can’t stop and refill the gas tank.
Where are you driving that the stock fuel tank 300 mile range isn't enough?

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Hauling all that extra gas weight around hurts gas mileage and is just that much more wear and tear on the vehicle. Liquids are heavy, as anybody that carries a 5 gallon gas can can attest to.

I can see the "tanker" option for an off road rig, but for a daily driver it makes no sense at all.

My bladder gives out way before the fuel tank does....
:LOL: I know where you're coming from.

J Krutsch

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew FX4
Where are you driving that the stock fuel tank 300 mile range isn't enough?
I pull an RV where I get 10-11 MPG. Thus my range is 180 mi max and 150 with a comfortable margin of error. That isn't much if I am camping in Eastern Oregon where gas pumps are few and far between. The goofy little funnel that I must use to pour a jerry can is a pain in the ass and then has to be bagged or cleaned before it can go back behind the seat. Not for everyone, but for some of us, a larger tank would be nice.

Arron

First Name
Arron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4 Sport Magnetic
Occupation
Software developer
I’m in.

I’ve done my reasearch on extended range tanks and its likely going to be pricy if you want quality and safety. I feel if you want the range and you dont want to be leaking fuel everywhere you are going to have to pay a bit for it. I’m ok with that.

I’m looking forward to the day I can get this new tank installed please keep us updated on progress Of the design and how the new tank process is going.

3 things I’m looking fo:
* 35ish gallons
* little to no change in ground clearance Below the running boards
* some place on the west coast I can get the tank installed properly.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Everyone take a second to reach out to Titan fuel tanks. I messaged them and sent them a link to this thread... sub $1000 for a made in USA 36 gallon tank on 2015-2020 Colorados and canyons.
Made from Polymer.

http://titanfueltanks.com/7012316

Screenshot_20200717-213532_Chrome.jpg
Not trying to be biased or an a****** but I have installed a few Titan fuel tanks and they do not fit well and after a short period of time become loose and shake in the mounting straps. Due to that I wouldnt recommend them.

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Not trying to be biased or an a****** but I have installed a few Titan fuel tanks and they do not fit well and after a short period of time become loose and shake in the mounting straps. Due to that I wouldnt recommend them.
Ah that sucks

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ah that sucks
Unfortunately it does, you would think with an American made product it would be a fairly nice quality. I think I contacted 3 or 4 companies all together and Long Range Automotive was up for the idea. I cant promise with anyone else but who knows.

Rigwright

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Union Millwright (Retired)
I just towed about 4,400 lbs 160 miles. Dropped off the car and the tow dolly. Putzed around town a little with the Grandkids. Then drove the 160 miles back home. Still have an 1/8 tank of fuel. Never re-filled the tank on the Ranger, but I had to drain the coffee from me a few times along the way. That was over 330 miles pulling a pretty good load half the trip. The stock tank range is adequate for my needs.
20200717_115846.jpg

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just towed about 4,400 lbs 160 miles. Dropped off the car and the tow dolly. Putzed around town a little with the Grandkids. Then drove the 160 miles back home. Still have an 1/8 tank of fuel. Never re-filled the tank on the Ranger, but I had to drain the coffee from me a few times along the way. That was over 330 miles pulling a pretty good load half the trip. The stock tank range is adequate for my needs.
20200717_115846.jpg
Something I have noticed a while back is when towing a vehicle with a tow dolly usually isn't too bad. I remember when I towed my 280ZX with my Frontier and fuel mileage was still fairly close to normal. Not something I'll understand but it is what it is.
Sponsored