First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I just recently started shopping for a 5th gen (or 6th) last week.
Walked out of a Toyota Dealership and started talking to my friends.
I originally thought the newer Rangers could only tow 3500 - (I don't know where I got that, but that's why I had already decided against a ranger.).
But after talking to my friend of how much they love their Maverick, I googled again '2022 Ranger Tow Capacity'.
And then after reading up more on the 2022 or upcoming 2023, I have made my decision to get me a 5th or 6th gen Ranger.
I'll be browsing around these forums to help my research. I'm very familiar with forums and use the FAQ's and Search features before I post.
Hopefully this is a pretty active forum.
I'm an older fellow who prefer to stay away from Facebook.
Thanks for this forum.
-Robert
Welcome Robert,

I think many on the forum who are current owners have similar thoughts banging around in their head, with regard to 5G and 6G.

I, like you, am wary of new model years, so my 2022 Ranger turned out to be the right thing for me. Like you, in my truck buying journey, I first looked at Toyota (my wife has a Hylander Hybrid which she loves, or at least did love until she started driving my Ranger), so Toyotas a logical place for me to start. Luckily for me, the seating position of the Taco was a non starter, so that pushed me to look at Rangers. I say luckily, because after I actually started to understand what the Ranger represented, I realized there was no competition at all in the two offerings. The Ranger is far ahead on just about every measure.

Historically, notwithstanding my most recent purchases prior to the Ranger, I am a buy and keep for a long time kind of guy. So the 6G is a bit of a conundrum, but this truck is so perfect for my needs, I know, when the 6G is out and readily available, it will still be a pretty high bar to get me to switch to the 6G. Although I am looking forward to that analysis.

Anyway, if you need the best mid-sized truck available and you need the best and most knowledgeable people to guide you through the process, you have come to the right place. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
LostMy65

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Welcome Robert,

I think many on the forum who are current owners have similar thoughts banging around in their head, with regard to 5G and 6G.

I, like you, am wary of new model years, so my 2022 Ranger turned out to be the right thing for me. Like you, in my truck buying journey, I first looked at Toyota (my wife has a Hylander Hybrid which she loves, or at least did love until she started driving my Ranger), so Toyotas a logical place for me to start. Luckily for me, the seating position of the Taco was a non starter, so that pushed me to look at Rangers. I say luckily, because after I actually started to understand what the Ranger represented, I realized there was no competition at all in the two offerings. The Ranger is far ahead on just about every measure.

Historically, notwithstanding my most recent purchases prior to the Ranger, I am a buy and keep for a long time kind of guy. So the 6G is a bit of a conundrum, but this truck is so perfect for my needs, I know, when the 6G is out and readily available, it will still be a pretty high bar to get me to switch to the 6G. Although I am looking forward to that analysis.

Anyway, if you need the best mid-sized truck available and you need the best and most knowledgeable people to guide you through the process, you have come to the right place. :)
Thanks for that.
The amount of replies I've already gotten here is on par with my favorite classic truck forum. Lots of friendly helpful folks.
Yes, I buy new and keep for at least 10 years.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I originally thought the newer Rangers could only tow 3500 - (I don't know where I got that, but that's why I had already decided against a ranger.).
But after talking to my friend of how much they love their Maverick, I googled again '2022 Ranger Tow Capacity'.
And then after reading up more on the 2022 or upcoming 2023, I have made my decision to get me a 5th or 6th gen Ranger.
I'll be browsing around these forums to help my research. I'm very familiar with forums and use the FAQ's and Search features before I post.
Thanks for this forum.
-Robert
Welcome Robert. When it comes to towing, the Ranger is a beast. You may have been thinking 3,500 lbs because it’ll tow about that much from a tow ball bolted to the bumper (landscaper’s cargo trailer - that kind of thing). The tow package is where the bigger numbers come from. The Ranger even has a “tow mode” that adjusts its transmission’s shift behaviour to accommodate the load. Definitely get the factory tow package - the hitch is engineered for this truck and integrated to have more clearance than the aftermarket models.

Good luck.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
You probably got the 3500 number from Google. It's frustrating. A relative wouldn't let me tow their boat because he Googled "2019 Ranger tow capacity" and 3500 pops up in big bold letters. I had to show him my manual and the door sticker before he believed me. I reported it to Google but it still shows up as 3500. Maybe if a mob of us here from Ranger5g also reported it Google would take action.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Thanks for this forum.
-Robert
Welcome from a fellow older fellow! Hmm on that English ....

Apart from yelling at kids to get off my lawn, I spend a good amount of time here. I'm an old Toyota fan (just gave my FJ-40 to my daughter - I've been driving it since 1976!). So when I wanted to get a truck, the Tacoma was a natural choice for me (and my wife had a Corolla she put 360,000 miles on in 10 years).

I was interested in it for summer kayaking day trips and possible hauling a small travel trailer in the future. So I started looking around ... it quickly became obvious that it would cost me a good chunk extra to get anything that towed like the base model Ranger. I looked the specs for all midsize trucks.

I ended up with a 2022 XL 4X2 with 101A. A pretty economical truck but with big tow capacity and decent payload. Our Scab is rated at 1,882 pound payload and the standard 7,500 tow with the tow package. Unfortunately, the brake controller is not part of the tow package.

So I ordered it in January and got it in May. While I waited I learned many handy things about the Ranger from this forum (plus it's a great bunch of folks).

No questions are too dumb or too tough - Ive seen some pretty amazing innovation by members.

Now as to what you should order.

The biggest gripe I have with the '22 is that the technology is basically from 2019 (and maybe even earlier). That's okay with me though, I have the capacity to stay in my lane and hit the brakes. And I just want a truck, nothing fancy.

But if you want fancy, the higher trim Ranger (Lariat) is pretty nice. And a '23 would be pretty state-of-the-art. For the '22s, some things were deleted because of the chip shortage and others here can fill you in on that.

If money's not a huge factor, a '23 with higher trim would be a really comfortable truck. But there's nothing wrong with a good used '19-'22 Ranger either

I may sound like I don't like tech, but I'm a bit of a utilitarian person (or so I claim to be). My wife has a fancy fully loaded '22 Mazda that has incredible tech and I do enjoy it. Awesome cameras (the 360 thing is really nice) and the adaptive cruise control and all the fancy pants stuff makes for a nice ride (even has double glass on the sides and dual door seals for a quiet ride). I can tell you that a 5 hour trip in her car is a lot less tiring than bouncing around in my Ranger (but my Ranger's a zillion times more comfortable than my old FJ-40).

So ... welcome to the forum and good luck!

OP
OP
LostMy65

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Welcome! and yes it is very active and can be not for the faint of heart but this is a great group of ppl, if you are in the us despite the ramblings and lies of others the 2023 will be a current gen aka a 5g the new 6g is gonna be for 2024 in the usa.
Did I hear you correctly, the 2023 is still the same generation as the 2019-2022?
USA isn't getting the redesigned, longer wheelbase, version in 2023? (It won't be like the one in the attached image?)

Screenshot_20220727-142046.png

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Welcome Robert. There is a wealth of good info on the forum. Many of us here are of advanced experience, Ha Ha. I have been on many forums and I find this one to be the best one because of the people on here. We love to help people spend money on things they didn't know they needed.

OP
OP
LostMy65

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Welcome! and yes it is very active and can be not for the faint of heart but this is a great group of ppl, if you are in the us despite the ramblings and lies of others the 2023 will be a current gen aka a 5g the new 6g is gonna be for 2024 in the usa.
So, according to the 6G forum, it's 2024 before we see the redesigned Ranger?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So, according to the 6G forum, it's 2024 before we see the redesigned Ranger?
Yes the ROTW 6G will be out in '23 but here in the US it'll be in '24. I thought I read/heard it could possibly come out here in mid to late '23 but with the way things are I wouldn't hold my breath. If it were me I would put in my order right away and you might get one before the change over or get bumped to the next Gen. Either way you'll at least have an oder in the system.