Just another post that may or maynot make some on here jealous

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Nice idea.

Problem that I see is the added 30lbs system weight + another 30lbs in gear versus the tailgate load rating. If it breaks under you and you break your leg, then the repair + sick leave is out from your pocket not from any insurance.

The carpet is also a condensed water magnet and could cause molding of the gear there in.

Definitely something which Ford could take up as an extra. They could reinforce the tailgate for higher load, add dampeners and make the box lockable. Sounds about right place for emergency gear, jacks, straps, signal flags and all.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I want to say it is made out of steel. What grade I'm not too sure. How much weight can it hold? Enough but again you dont want to put to much for two reasons. 1 it is a tailgate so you dont want to necessarily work out all the time. 2 the tailgate is only rated to hold up to 200 lbs if I remember correctly and the storage compartment weighs between 25 to 40 lbs(I didnt put it on a scale).
Tailgate is rated for 485lbs.

1615833990407-png.png

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Well as the title says you may or may not be jealous. A while back someone on here brought up the idea of the Huracan Fabrication tailgate storage. Unfortunately at the time there were none for the Ranger in the US.

Well there is now!! I was lucky enough to get the first one for test fit and I can say that it looks nice!! Yeah it took between 4-5 hours to install but I feel it is worth it!!

Also with the added weight it may encourage some to get the tailgate damper!!

If you want one here is a link to the site!! Perhaps if enough people go for preprder they might be able to lower price for a group buy!!

http://www.hfabusa.com/products/ford-ranger-tailgate-storage

0908211823.jpg

0908211824.jpg
Thanks for posting this. Very interesting concept. I am still hoping that Ford will start offering something like the Ram's built-in storage for the two bed walls! (Yeah, they are lockable and drainable, if you take my meaning....)

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Thanks for posting this. Very interesting concept. I am still hoping that Ford will start offering something like the Ram's built-in storage for the two bed walls! (Yeah, they are lockable and drainable, if you take my meaning....)
Yeah unless ford did it where they didnt have problems then sure. That system from Ram is a pile of shit to say the least.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice idea.

Problem that I see is the added 30lbs system weight + another 30lbs in gear versus the tailgate load rating. If it breaks under you and you break your leg, then the repair + sick leave is out from your pocket not from any insurance.

The carpet is also a condensed water magnet and could cause molding of the gear there in.

Definitely something which Ford could take up as an extra. They could reinforce the tailgate for higher load, add dampeners and make the box lockable. Sounds about right place for emergency gear, jacks, straps, signal flags and all.
Well thankfully you would not have to worry as one other member just posted strait from the manual that tue tailgate can take up to 485 lbs of load. That there say tuese tailgates will do just fine and wont break that easily unless you do something really stupid

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
It definitely looks cool and I see the reason people would want it. It’s also nice that they ship to Canada. It’s just that $600 USD quickly becomes $1,100 CAD after shipping, exchange, duty, and taxes.

In the words of Kevin O’Leary. . . I’m out.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It definitely looks cool and I see the reason people would want it. It’s also nice that they ship to Canada. It’s just that $600 USD quickly becomes $1,100 CAD after shipping, exchange, duty, and taxes.

In the words of Kevin O’Leary. . . I’m out.
Contact them directly for pricing as that may help. You may be suprised

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
It a great idea but how my level (Not lift) set up it makes the tailgate so low to the ground that I’ll hurt my back getting stuff outta that compartment ?.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
First, great thread, nice detail and photos. Comprehensive review of new products are always appreciated. Nice install.

I love the concept, there is allot of wasted space in the tailgate, but I think this product is more space/weight/work than I want. It looks like there is more space than can be fully utilized unless everything is very light which in my experience just leads to a mess of things piled on top of each other, much like the center console. That is complicated by it opening while flat, but most of the time it is vertical, and driving will assist is everything settling to the bottom.

Ideally I'd like a few smaller compartments using the 2 areas beside the latch assembly, maybe a long compartment on the bottom as well. Two or three, compartments without needing to remove the internal framing would be great. Work gloves, reflective safety vest, hand cleaner, paper towel, soft shackles, straps, rope, etc. Enough storage for small light clean dry items, but just enough that I don't need extra separators, smaller containers or have to dig to find the other glove every time. Also anything dense, even a small D-shackle for example will bounce allot, being so far behind the rear axle.

I do think it is a great product, but slightly more than needed IMO.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
First, great thread, nice detail and photos. Comprehensive review of new products are always appreciated. Nice install.

I love the concept, there is allot of wasted space in the tailgate, but I think this product is more space/weight/work than I want. It looks like there is more space than can be fully utilized unless everything is very light which in my experience just leads to a mess of things piled on top of each other, much like the center console. That is complicated by it opening while flat, but most of the time it is vertical, and driving will assist is everything settling to the bottom.

Ideally I'd like a few smaller compartments using the 2 areas beside the latch assembly, maybe a long compartment on the bottom as well. Two or three, compartments without needing to remove the internal framing would be great. Work gloves, reflective safety vest, hand cleaner, paper towel, soft shackles, straps, rope, etc. Enough storage for small light clean dry items, but just enough that I don't need extra separators, smaller containers or have to dig to find the other glove every time. Also anything dense, even a small D-shackle for example will bounce allot, being so far behind the rear axle.

I do think it is a great product, but slightly more than needed IMO.
You are not entirely wrong here and that is why it is important to strategically place any said items in there. Depending on what you want to put there and how much you can avoid that problem but if not done right that will become a problem.

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
For the price, storage capacity, and work required to install, it would make more sense to go with an option like a decked system and spend the extra money in my opinion.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For the price, storage capacity, and work required to install, it would make more sense to go with an option like a decked system and spend the extra money in my opinion.
I have to disagree.

It really depends on what you are doing with your truck to justify the decked draw system. Why? Well even though you get two sliding dears there becomes some waisted space next to the drawers(same idea for ARB but not as much) and you dont have as much bed space. Not a bad thing if you are trying to more or less delete the bed or put a topper on.

With the Huracan Fab tailgate storage you use space that is already waisted and it can fit with a draw sytem if one so chooses to. You also keep the same amount of bed space that you stared with after the install.

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I have to disagree.

It really depends on what you are doing with your truck to justify the decked draw system. Why? Well even though you get two sliding dears there becomes some waisted space next to the drawers(same idea for ARB but not as much) and you dont have as much bed space. Not a bad thing if you are trying to more or less delete the bed or put a topper on.

With the Huracan Fab tailgate storage you use space that is already waisted and it can fit with a draw sytem if one so chooses to. You also keep the same amount of bed space that you stared with after the install.
There may be wasted space on the sides (compartment wise), but you can still load more gear on top and utilize the entire footprint of the bed. I have a couple of friends that have them and load tons of gear on top, you just need to strap it down. It depends how you look at it - internal volume, yes, there is wasted space. Ability to store stuff in the bed, there is no wasted space - just put it on top and strap it down. Just my opinion.

I think $600 for this is not worth it. I think it is a cool idea to utilize wasted space, its just a lot of money and a lot of work for a small space.
Sponsored