Does no one make an over-the-cab topper?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I remember this forum member and he modified a ladder rack to fit over his soft topper. I wonder if the same thing could be done for a regular topper.

Hmmm...

IMG_20200117_140327.jpg
For what it's worth there are the two racks from Sherpa Equipment. One is called a half rack but it's more of a quarter rack. Pricy but nice quality(recently got one for the Pathfinder). Maybe that would be something to consider?

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
For what it's worth there are the two racks from Sherpa Equipment. One is called a half rack but it's more of a quarter rack. Pricy but nice quality(recently got one for the Pathfinder). Maybe that would be something to consider?
Not paying that price when I know I can fab up something far cheaper and more versatile and do it cleanly. Would be a good excuse to finally learn to weld and see how I do outside of weldless designs.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Not paying that price when I know I can fab up something far cheaper and more versatile and do it cleanly. Would be a good excuse to finally learn to weld and see how I do outside of weldless designs.
For cheaper? Possibly, they do use Aluminum Parrs(with the exception of the bolts and washers). More versatile? Hard to say. Really depends on how it is designed. After just installing one on my Pathfinder I can tell you it is nice and fairly versatile. Really just depends on what your needs are to what you need it to be.

Also remember that most companies out there that have already built a roof rack for different vehicles have done the homework for you. That is part of why it has a higher cost.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
That's the thing. To modify the camper shell I have is some nice hobby time.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
You know me of course DIY came to mind, but I think that is on a level I am not prepared to endure.

I am considering an idea modifying my existing RCI rack to raise it, so I can then widen it. It is a universal product so I can technically widen it another 6-12". Then DIY build and internal "camper" shell. I considered a soft topper, but I think it will waste too much space and won't give me any hard points of connection to build the internals off.

What I am trying to figure out is a way to keep my side storage pods, which pose a problem of internal protrusion. If I shift them out, it just looks kind of.... off.
Sponsored