First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Well as the title says you may or may not be jealous. A while back someone on here brought up the idea of the Huracan Fabrication tailgate storage. Unfortunately at the time there were none for the Ranger in the US.

Well there is now!! I was lucky enough to get the first one for test fit and I can say that it looks nice!! Yeah it took between 4-5 hours to install but I feel it is worth it!!

Also with the added weight it may encourage some to get the tailgate damper!!

If you want one here is a link to the site!! Perhaps if enough people go for preprder they might be able to lower price for a group buy!!

http://www.hfabusa.com/products/ford-ranger-tailgate-storage

0908211823.jpg

0908211824.jpg
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Heck, if you fill it up with stuff it might require TWO dampers!!

Very slick!

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heck, if you fill it up with stuff it might require TWO dampers!!

Very slick!
Not going to lie, there is a fair amount of space. But lets be honest, chances are the things you put in there are most likely going to be light.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Not going to lie, there is a fair amount of space. But lets be honest, chances are the things you put in there are most likely going to be light.

Looks good! Perfect spot for for all the tie-down gear and emergency roadside stuff. Fairly light.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Neat product I guess. Personally it seems to fall into the "solution looking for a problem" product category.

Looks like a requirement for use is packing it full, less stuff just bouncing around.

I could see a cool idea being cutting thick foam inserts for specific items. Like the stuff rifle cases use.

Edit: Yea, I think they really over-looked the potential by not including "pick n pluck" foam. That carpet is cool and all, but serves basically minimal purpose.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not to be devil's advocate, but what exactly are you going to put in there that you couldn't/wouldn't put somewhere for less cost and installation difficulty?
You have a fair question.

Think of it this way. When I left my 2016 Frontier it had plenty of storage under the rear seats. So much that I had all my needed stuff for towing and tie down stuff there. When I got to the ranger I was disappointed in the lack of storage under the rear seat. The extended cab is even worse.

What other options were on the market(that you didn't have to custome build or get creative necessarily)? Well you have the swing box!! But here is the flaw I see with it which led me to a different idea. Besides the fact it takes up bed space you also loose 2 tie downs. That was enough for me to say no thanks.

This doesnt take near as much bed space and technically give you more available storage. What will you put in it? Thats a good question. Thats up to the individual. Maybe you do a lot of Overlanding and want a place to keep recovery gear and air hose for the compressor there? Mabe you just want to have straps, tow hitches and other things in there? Thats just a start.

Mind you it isnt for everyone but I suspect a fair amount of people on here will buy it.

Should I mention that its American made? Most accessories available for the Ranger and other vehicles are made in China so to say the least that is a step forward!!

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I could see this being useful. What is the door panel made of & how much weight can it support?
I want to say it is made out of steel. What grade I'm not too sure. How much weight can it hold? Enough but again you dont want to put to much for two reasons. 1 it is a tailgate so you dont want to necessarily work out all the time. 2 the tailgate is only rated to hold up to 200 lbs if I remember correctly and the storage compartment weighs between 25 to 40 lbs(I didnt put it on a scale).

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
I want to say it is made out of steel. What grade I'm not too sure. How much weight can it hold? Enough but again you dont want to put to much for two reasons. 1 it is a tailgate so you dont want to necessarily work out all the time. 2 the tailgate is only rated to hold up to 200 lbs if I remember correctly and the storage compartment weighs between 25 to 40 lbs(I didnt put it on a scale).
Thanks, yea I was thinking more stepping on it when hopping in or out. If it’ll bend or warp.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Excerpt from online description:

Fully lockable, it comes with gas struts to keep the lid steady when open and a carpeted interior. Once installed, this tailgate is easily as strong as the factory tailgate.

This mod requires access to an angle grinder, metal file, drill, basic hand tools and a little DIY knowledge. Some of the original tailgate must be removed in order to fit this storage compartment.

So, is this a replacement tailgate (as implied in first paragraph), or a modification of the factory unit?

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excerpt from online description:

Fully lockable, it comes with gas struts to keep the lid steady when open and a carpeted interior. Once installed, this tailgate is easily as strong as the factory tailgate.

This mod requires access to an angle grinder, metal file, drill, basic hand tools and a little DIY knowledge. Some of the original tailgate must be removed in order to fit this storage compartment.

So, is this a replacement tailgate (as implied in first paragraph), or a modification of the factory unit?
A modification to the original. You have to cut the back(inside wall) of the tailgate and you have to remove some of the support structure but be aware that the tailgate strength is thrill there.