Just another post that may or maynot make some on here jealous

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
It's pretty cool, not for me but cool nonetheless. I'm sure there is a market for it...
Sponsored

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
That's too much modification for me probably. Despite the amount of room it provides, I can't see it being worth enough to me to justify.

I could get down with a smaller one though. It could use the same mounting location as the top plate. Steel lid, hinge and ring to seal to, carpeted plastic insert straddling the center support to take advantage of any knook and cranny. It could be two smaller compartments with separate doors even. That'd be enough for me probably. And it'd be reversible.
I agree with you there. And I bet a lot of people would be happy to spend 400-500 and NOT have to destroy the tailgate. Still have room for jumper cables, recovery rope/strap, folding shovel, and some tie-downs.
Email them - the engineering is done, they just need to make it a bit smaller.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I agree with you there. And I bet a lot of people would be happy to spend 400-500 and NOT have to destroy the tailgate. Still have room for jumper cables, recovery rope/strap, folding shovel, and some tie-downs.
Email them - the engineering is done, they just need to make it a bit smaller.
Yeah chances are they wont make a smaller design. If you think it has too much room you need to see it in person. Part of why I did this is due to the "Lack" of storage the Ranger has under the rear seats and before this there was no real good option to buy. How did I determine this? Well to start every option on the market took up bed space(and there isn't much with the 5ft bed). Second even if you went with a swing box you also lost a minimum of 2 tie downs and that was not an option to me. If the Ranger had better storage under the rear seats then I may not have been to concerned about doing it.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I really like the idea of the tailgate for storage,to keep things like straps etc. in the bed area and ready,but have and do load a golf cart (600 lbs before my 205lb ass climbs on it),motorcycles etc. into the bed with load ramps.So I guess I need to study the design and attachment to see if it does maintain enough structural ability to handle loading the toys..

Really clever idea though.
Something to think about. Yeah your golf cart may weigh 600 lbs but are you supporting that on only the front or rear wheels? Most likely not. For the short period of time it will be ther it should be fine.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Second even if you went with a swing box you also lost a minimum of 2 tie downs and that was not an option to me.
You've said this a couple of times now. But it's untrue. You don't loose any tie downs with the swing boxes. They are reinstalled with the bracket.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You've said this a couple of times now. But it's untrue. You don't loose any tie downs with the swing boxes. They are reinstalled with the bracket.
Yeah they might be reinstalled but I recall them being covered up by the swing box

MST Overland

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Attorney
Five ARs, 7 pistols and 3000 rounds will definitely not be light...?
This is exactly the use I was thinking of. Just removing a few cross bars and converting the existing aluminum cover to a hinged unit would be enough to avoid firearm theft. Nobody would think of prying open the tailgate. I have been looking for a hidey-hole and this is a perfect idea for two reasons (1) the rear of the vehicle would be a likely spot to seek cover in an emergency and (2) it would be easily accessible no matter how much junk is in the trunk...

Skotbites

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Occupation
Photographer
There's a few of these installs knocking about on YouTube so not sure who's is 'first'.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There's a few of these installs knocking about on YouTube so not sure who's is 'first'.

Does YouTube videos are out in Australia so it is very similar just not 100% the same

BriGuy3030

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Union Ironworker Local 396
There may be wasted space on the sides (compartment wise), but you can still load more gear on top and utilize the entire footprint of the bed. I have a couple of friends that have them and load tons of gear on top, you just need to strap it down. It depends how you look at it - internal volume, yes, there is wasted space. Ability to store stuff in the bed, there is no wasted space - just put it on top and strap it down. Just my opinion.
That was EXACTLY my logic when I decided to invest in the Decked drawer system. For me, it would be a once in a blue moon, where I would NEED that volume depth. What was more important to retain was the linear square footage when seasonally loading/hauling all of my camping gear. Aside from that, M-F going to & from the job site, all of my tools & work gear (Union Ironworker) are completely secure & protected from the weather in my Decked system.
… I keep my riggging (straps, shackles, etc.) in either of the two ammo can locations adjacent to the drawers.

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
That was EXACTLY my logic when I decided to invest in the Decked drawer system. For me, it would be a once in a blue moon, where I would NEED that volume depth. What was more important to retain was the linear square footage when seasonally loading/hauling all of my camping gear. Aside from that, M-F going to & from the job site, all of my tools & work gear (Union Ironworker) are completely secure & protected from the weather in my Decked system.
… I keep my riggging (straps, shackles, etc.) in either of the two ammo can locations adjacent to the drawers.
BINGO! Glad you are enjoying your system :thumbsup:

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
Well as the title says you may or may not be jealous. A while back someone on here brought up the idea of the Huracan Fabrication tailgate storage. Unfortunately at the time there were none for the Ranger in the US.

Well there is now!! I was lucky enough to get the first one for test fit and I can say that it looks nice!! Yeah it took between 4-5 hours to install but I feel it is worth it!!

Also with the added weight it may encourage some to get the tailgate damper!!

If you want one here is a link to the site!! Perhaps if enough people go for preprder they might be able to lower price for a group buy!!

http://www.hfabusa.com/products/ford-ranger-tailgate-storage

0908211823.jpg

0908211824.jpg
Saw this and loved it, ....but....it doesnt appear to be water tight?? I see the carpet getting wet and moldy? Can you provide some info on if it is in fact water tight? May use it to store hunting gear/rifle, etc if it was.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Saw this and loved it, ....but....it doesnt appear to be water tight?? I see the carpet getting wet and moldy? Can you provide some info on if it is in fact water tight? May use it to store hunting gear/rifle, etc if it was.
So you are actually correct on this as I found out myself a few weeks ago. What could be done to make it water tight? Get some small rubber weatherstrip and put it around the lid and you are good to go. I plan on doing this soon. As for the carpet? You could always remove it if you want.

puda

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler
Occupation
Industrial Automation
@Frenchy, curious what you think of this after having some more time to use it?
Sponsored