Does no one make an over-the-cab topper?

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Capri Camper makes one for mid size trucks but it does not overhang the cab. They used to have one that did but I don’t see it on their website any more. It was within the Ranger’s cargo capacity.
Travellite RV had two for mid size truck that were pretty laid out but their website is down so they may have gone out of business.
I’d get either one without hesitation if money were no object but I’d add Firestone air bags.
Sponsored

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Capri Camper makes one for mid size trucks but it does not overhang the cab. They used to have one that did but I don’t see it on their website any more. It was within the Ranger’s cargo capacity.
Travellite RV had two for mid size truck that were pretty laid out but their website is down so they may have gone out of business.
I’d get either one without hesitation if money were no object but I’d add Firestone air bags.

Way too bulky for what I want.

If I wanted an actual camper I'd go with a pop up.

But I'm not looking for a camper of any sort, just a regular topper with the added storage room over the cab.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Way too bulky for what I want.

If I wanted an actual camper I'd go with a pop up.

But I'm not looking for a camper of any sort, just a regular topper with the added storage room over the cab.
Jack...have you considered just building one, similar to the picture in your post #6. I've observed your work on the forum, and it seems your fully capable of a DIY.
Simple aluminum frame and you could source something like RV siding. It's common, used for rv repairs, light weight, and easy to form. Aluminum sheets, filon sheets or fiberglass sheets.
That way you could design just what you want without having to alter something.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Jack...have you considered just building one, similar to the picture in your post #6. I've observed your work on the forum, and it seems your fully capable of a DIY.
Simple aluminum frame and you could source something like RV siding. It's common, used for rv repairs, light weight, and easy to form. Aluminum sheets, filon sheets or fiberglass sheets.
That way you could design just what you want without having to alter something.
Yea, its just not a project I want to take on. It always leads to a rabbit hole with me. One of those instances where I would prefer to have the shell ready to go, then I can do the personal work on the interior setup.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here's a really off the wall idea...I remember it from a neighbor I knew many many years ago. He had a Chevy van and wanted a raised roof...this was before the custom raised roof vans that came along.
He bought a used aluminum jon boat the same length as the roof and attached it, upside down, and then cut the van roof the shape of the boat.
You could get a used regular topper and do something along those lines with a fiberglass jon boat, long enough to overhang the roof. Seal the front portion of the boat, cut a hole in the topper roof for height.
Maybe not explaining it right, but the pic shows what I'm referring too.....
Sounds silly, but may give yos some ideas to modify a regular topper.

maxresdefault.jpg

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Something like this, but with the front over-hanging the truck roof....

download (1).jpg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
So how much money investment wise you need? Looks like you've already contemplated it.
Not sure...my thoughts was to use 3/4" honey comb aluminum/composite sheets as to keep weight down..I designed this with 100% flat surfaces so the difficult part of assembly would be the joints...the sheets would be pricy though...

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure...my thoughts was to use 3/4" honey comb aluminum/composite sheets as to keep weight down..I designed this with 100% flat surfaces so the difficult part of assembly would be the joints...the sheets would be pricy though...
Ever thought about mocking up one and glassing it to start with?

Fiberglass materials are readily available even at Walmart.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a really off the wall idea...I remember it from a neighbor I knew many many years ago. He had a Chevy van and wanted a raised roof...this was before the custom raised roof vans that came along.
He bought a used aluminum jon boat the same length as the roof and attached it, upside down, and then cut the van roof the shape of the boat.
You could get a used regular topper and do something along those lines with a fiberglass jon boat, long enough to overhang the roof. Seal the front portion of the boat, cut a hole in the topper roof for height.
Maybe not explaining it right, but the pic shows what I'm referring too.....
Sounds silly, but may give yos some ideas to modify a regular topper.

maxresdefault.jpg

Wow...

That is actually brilliant. Hmmm....

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ever thought about mocking up one and glassing it to start with?

Fiberglass materials are readily available even at Walmart.
Doesn't really fit my needs...would never be big enough and too tall to get into garage...I'd rather have a toy hauler/camper trailer that I can leave outside and connect up to go when I'm ready to travel...

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't really fit my needs...would never be big enough and too tall to get into garage...I'd rather have a toy hauler/camper trailer that I can leave outside and connect up to go when I'm ready to travel...
Understandable.

I've been watching videos on people building their own using aluminum square tube with a mixture of aluminum brazing joints and riveted brackets. Doable for sure, but man... that is a lot of man hours.

Against what I want to do, I too have been researching short/light pull behind campers. I just hate the idea of being tethered to something, even if it is just point A to point B. Though a utility trailer conversion would be super fun to build.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Understandable.

I've been watching videos on people building their own using aluminum square tube with a mixture of aluminum brazing joints and riveted brackets. Doable for sure, but man... that is a lot of man hours.

Against what I want to do, I too have been researching short/light pull behind campers. I just hate the idea of being tethered to something, even if it is just point A to point B. Though a utility trailer conversion would be super fun to build.
I'd rather be tethered to a small light weight trailer just big enough for my needs that I can disconnect than have something on my bed that's always there...

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
I'd rather be tethered to a small light weight trailer just big enough for my needs that I can disconnect than have something on my bed that's always there...
i like both tbh lol but when it comes to doing offroad stuff and trying to get to a off-grid location to camp a trailer is a bitch lol

i have me m100 as a base camp but ill be selling it to go for a gfc so its all back on the truck and can be taken off when need be this will also allow for me to take the dual sport places more now which is what i want to do more and more now
Sponsored