I'm addicted to 'S'......

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Still managing to hold off this Sport mode thing... I can’t last much longer and I know exactly where my fuel mileage is about to go!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Still managing to hold off this Sport mode thing... I can’t last much longer and I know exactly where my fuel mileage is about to go!
The difference (to me) is negligible. I made a 200 mile round trip at 26.4 on Saturday and my around town has held steady at 20-21. That's including some WOTS and max boost with one 0-100 mixed in!

Reactions: Ric

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The difference (to me) is negligible. I made a 200 mile round trip at 26.4 on Saturday and my around town has held steady at 20-21. That's including some WOTS and max boost with one 0-100 mixed in!
It is interesting to me the wide variety in MPG people are experiencing. I noticed at least 3-5 MPG reduction when I tried sport mode for about a quarter of tank. It was a significant decline for me.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
It is interesting to me the wide variety in MPG people are experiencing. I noticed at least 3-5 MPG reduction when I tried sport mode for about a quarter of tank. It was a significant decline for me.
I would imagine the mpg hit would be scooting around town and not so much on the highway where the gear hunting would be minimum at best.

So a 200 mile trip would most likely be highway.

While I'm on this...does anyone know if Sport mode keeps in boost all the time...or at least most of it?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would imagine the mpg hit would be scooting around town and not so much on the highway where the gear hunting would be minimum at best.

While I'm on this...does anyone know if Sport mode keeps in boost all the time...or at least most of it?
I would be surprised if it didn't stay in boost almost all the time - the RPMs in sport mode are considerably higher than in D. For example, when I was just driving down the road at 55-60, the RPMs were 2500-3000 - no high load, just cruising - in D it would have been like 1500 in 10th gear.

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase

I've been monitoring that. My gauge reads -10 vacuum to 30psi boost. Normal cruising in D I'm in mild vacuum (-4 or so) but while in S I hover right at 0 to +1. I notice boost kicking in going uphill vs. a gear shift while in S also.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I've been monitoring that. My gauge reads -10 vacuum to 30psi boost. Normal cruising in D I'm in mild vacuum (-4 or so) but while in S I hover right at 0 to +1. I notice boost kicking in going uphill vs. a gear shift while in S also.
Just curious, what gauge are you using?

OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, what gauge are you using?
For now I'm using the OBD Fusion Iphone App. I'm currently researching other alternatives.

Deleted member 1634

I would be surprised if it didn't stay in boost almost all the time - the RPMs in sport mode are considerably higher than in D. For example, when I was just driving down the road at 55-60, the RPMs were 2500-3000 - no high load, just cruising - in D it would have been like 1500 in 10th gear.
Same here. After reading this thread, I tried S mode a couple times back and forth to work (60 mph with a few stoplights), and definitely noticed the RPMs well above where they usually are in D. Same sort of 2700 in S vs 1200-1500 in D. I can't stomach losing that much MPG. Especially since I've always been more efficiency oriented in almost everything I do.

I'm glad S exists for fun moments and for those of you who like to get your blood pumping. But I'm going to be boring and stick with D for the most part.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. After reading this thread, I tried S mode a couple times back and forth to work (60 mph with a few stoplights), and definitely noticed the RPMs well above where they usually are in D. Same sort of 2700 in S vs 1200-1500 in D. I can't stomach losing that much MPG. Especially since I've always been more efficiency oriented in almost everything I do.

I'm glad S exists for fun moments and for those of you who like to get your blood pumping. But I'm going to be boring and stick with D for the most part.
I will be boring along with you. :)

The truck is still pretty amazing when you stomp the gas in D mode though! It just isn't quite as quick to respond as in Sport mode, but it wakes up and moves!

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired

One thing that is not mentioned frequently is the ability to start in 2nd gear in S mode to avoid spinning on snow/ice.

Reactions: Doc

Deleted member 1634

I will be boring along with you. :)

The truck is still pretty amazing when you stomp the gas in D mode though! It just isn't quite as quick to respond as in Sport mode, but it wakes up and moves!
Exactly! D has more than enough get up and go for 99.9% of the things I'm going to do with it.

Deleted member 1634

One thing that is not mentioned frequently is the ability to start in 2nd gear in S mode to avoid spinning on snow/ice.
Now that is an interesting thought. I guess I don't have experience yet with the truck in winter conditions to know if spinning in 1st is a common enough occurrence. If it is, then that is certainly a good reason for us boring folk to use S mode, at least to get moving.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For now I'm using the OBD Fusion Iphone App. I'm currently researching other alternatives.
Thanks, never heard of it. Is it not worth getting if you’re looking for something else?
Sponsored