If Buying Today, Would You Still Buy the Ranger?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
* If you were buying today, would you still choose the Ranger? Why?
Yes.
* What problems have you had that disappointed you in the Ranger?
Zero issue
* What did you like & dislike about them?
Chevy was still trying to resolve the tranny issues and I am not spending 40k plus on a truck with drum brakes and happens to be the most uncomfortable truck I have been in.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Nailed it. The Colorado IMHO is a pos. Nuf said.
That was the only other mid size truck (I owned a Tacoma) I test drove before buying my Ranger. It was just ok nothing special and the interior seemed really outdated and then there's the tranny issues I read about. Went back and test drove a Ranger for the second time and that one followed me home. ?

HDA

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech
The what, now? I was unaware the Ranger came with a gas cap, just a flapper valve & my apologies but I can't envision how that would drip fuel on the paint?
Hi HDA,

Since Ranger is a capless fueling system, Would you please elaborate on you dripping on the paint concern. Sounds like something is wrong that needs correction....The capless design on my Ford products has never exhibited this condition.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

Sometimes when I use the lever to set the gas pump when it clicks off it will spout out fuel. It's only at certain stations so I'm wondering if this is what he means? Otherwise 99% of the time it works as it should.

The gas door has instructions which instructs us to wait 5 seconds before pulling the gas nozzle out after filling. I've waited 10 seconds and a drop or two STILL falls out and drips down the side wall. No big deal, but because of this first impression of the capless system I prefer the capped system.

I will try to get a video or what I mean.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
The gas door has instructions which instructs us to wait 5 seconds before pulling the gas nozzle out after filling. I've waited 10 seconds and a drop or two STILL falls out and drips down the side wall. No big deal, but because of this first impression of the capless system I prefer the capped system.

I will try to get a video or what I mean.
Umm I don’t believe either system has anything to do with you dribbling fuel down the side of your truck.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Umm I don’t believe either system has anything to do with you dribbling fuel down the side of your truck.
I would tend to agree. I was taught decades ago that after the pump stops you wait a few seconds then tip the nozzle DOWN to get every last drop, wait a few seconds, then tip the nozzle UP before removing it so you don't drip on the paint. It's a slight motion, really, and at this point I don't think I can do it any other way.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
* No, because the answer to the next question.
* Hybrid F150. More everything. Power, size, MPG, towing capacity, and the 7.2kW generator. I go to the track and not having to lug a giant (loud af) generator around will be the bomb.
* Nothing so far.
* I'm over 70,000 miles so far. I'm good.
* Colorado, Frontier, older Super Dutys
* n/a

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a F150 Hybrid today. Awesome truck in every respect. It even had this cool little piece of trim. Gonna wait for a Ranger Hybrid though. Still too big.
426B53D8-14B5-4435-8632-EA1D575A8775.jpeg

Turbo Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Sales
I have had the truck for 7 weeks, coming from a fully loaded 2019 F150 Lariat 3.5EB, both great trucks, I have a Lariat Tremor trim on the Ranger and simply love it best overall vehicle I have had over the last 10 years, Ford nailed it with the Ranger Tremor. It is such a better ride than the FX4 or regular trim, plus it looks awesome

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I have had the truck for 7 weeks, coming from a fully loaded 2019 F150 Lariat 3.5EB, both great trucks, I have a Lariat Tremor trim on the Ranger and simply love it best overall vehicle I have had over the last 10 years, Ford nailed it with the Ranger Tremor. It is such a better ride than the FX4 or regular trim, plus it looks awesome
I also came from a 2019 F150 and I think that's the primary reason I'm not enthused with the Ranger. Ford nails almost everything on the F150, I loved everything about it except that it was so large my wife didn't like driving it anywhere. I was expecting a 2/3 scale F150 but the Ranger is a different animal entirely.

In regards to the thread questions I would probably not buy the Ranger again; not because it's a bad vehicle (it's certainly the best midsize on the market) it's just not what I thought it was.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I also came from a 2019 F150 and I think that's the primary reason I'm not enthused with the Ranger. Ford nails almost everything on the F150, I loved everything about it except that it was so large my wife didn't like driving it anywhere. I was expecting a 2/3 scale F150 but the Ranger is a different animal entirely.

In regards to the thread questions I would probably not buy the Ranger again; not because it's a bad vehicle (it's certainly the best midsize on the market) it's just not what I thought it was.

Funny because all I ever owned were F150's and I have no desire to go back to one. They served there purpose when I needed a larger truck for my business but now the Ranger does. For me it's the perfect size! Plus before they weren't so large and would actually fit into the garage. I just cant see buying a brand new vehicle and leaving it outside especially here with our heat. It's bad enough getting into my truck when it's in the garage never mind baking in the 110+ heat all day. ?

I love the new Lightning but again it's way to big. I'm really looking forward to the new PHEV Ranger. I'm sure it'll take a couple of years to perfect it but I think that will be the perfect mid size truck when they do.

Last edited:

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Funny because all I ever owned were F150's and I have no desire to go back to one. They served there purpose when I needed a larger truck for my business but now the Ranger does. For me it's the perfect size! Plus before they weren't so large and would actually fit into the garage. I just cant see buying a brand new vehicle and leaving it outside especially here with our heat. It's bad enough getting into my truck when it's in the garage never mind baking in the 110+ heat all day. ?

I love the new Lightning but again it's way to big. I really looking forward to the new PHEV Ranger. I'm sure it'll take a couple of years to perfect it but I think that will be the perfect mid size truck when they do.
The size of the Ranger is perfect, I like the way it looks, I love that it's an international vehicle so it has lots of aftermarket support; I really think they nailed the fundamentals.

My problems with the Ranger are mostly just that, my problems. I prefer the F-Series interior design to the Ranger's which is more like the last gen Explorer; I like the power of the 2.3 but I dislike the character of the engine and how it interacts with the 10R80 (this is not my first turbo four); I bought an XLT without reading into the content list because I thought it would be equipped on par with the F150 XLT (it's not); and most of all I feel like my truck was assembled on a Friday afternoon after I had to tighten down my own driver's seat and now have to investigate a clunking sound from the rear end and another one from the front I can feel through the steering wheel.

I live in Northeastern NY state so unfortunately my vehicles eat salt and mag chloride all winter and inevitably get ruined no matter what I do.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I would still buy it but would find one or order one with a locking rear diff. Open diff is crap on dirt roads, especially turning right from a stop, it just wants to spin and go no where. The wheel lifts in a certain spot and I need to turn 4x4 on to get out.

Even better would just be regular old LSD/Posi without a button to tap. It's only been around for 100 years.

Only problem with the truck was two dead batteries over the winter, but that may have been due to leaving my dash cam on (it's supposed to turn off automatically).
Sponsored