I quit my job, but snagged you guys a cool pic on the way out...

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I’d rather have it & not need it than need it & not have it. Unfortunately, been there done that. :oops:
10-4. bought an extended service plan on every vehicle I bought (not leased) over the last 25 years. Used it on many of them, as I rarely had problems during the factory warranty. I bought an Allstate Premier 10yr/150,000mi full coverage warranty through my dealer on the Ranger. Honored at any shop not just Ford/Lincoln dealers. I only got my money back in repairs once (1999 Chrysler LHS tranny). The peace of mind is worth it and coming up with $100 deductible on a fixed income while on a vacation is much easier than paying for a repair that might run in the thousands.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I worked for just over a month as a service writer in the area my wife and I relocated to in Florida (from the ATL area) and I got to see some neat stuff. But, the wife and I discussed it and the job wasn't for me, as much as I enjoyed working around cars and trucks. And, the coworkers were pretty good to work with and treated me very well.

On May 25th, I had a 2019 Ranger come across my desk with HVAC issues. The blend door diagnosed bad, and it required a dash out repair. This day also happened to be the last day of my Factory warranty! After I quoted the repair job, I walked over to the finance department and purchased myself the Ford extended warranty.

Basically a bad blend door cost the owner $4000.00. OUCH!!!!
2022-05-31 11.40.32.jpg

Please throw some prayers and/or positive thoughts my way. I retired (early) from a 16 year career in law enforcement to move down here so my wife could start a different job. I have an application in with a local PD for a civilian position as a quartermaster-fleet manager position. I'm really hoping I get it and it turns out to be what I've been looking for!
Good luck on the job search.... and thanks for posting the photo. Holy Schnikey's.

You would think the Tech. would have placed blankets or at least something substantial on the seats to protect them.. go figure?

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
WOW, that looks rough. I have a question since you are the expert for the moment. I have been wondering about a “blend door” issue on my 2019 Crew Cab. Passenger air is cold, driver side is coolish. Dual AC and passenger side set to 72 is much colder than driver side set to 67. Would this be a blend door problem or something else? Thanks
Yeah - it sounds like the problem has hit you. Ford calls for a whole new evaporator/heater housing to fix it in most cases and the part is $1700. If you're lucky, it could just be a sensor or wiring issues.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Nope! The tech that did this one LOVED it! They seemed to enjoy the challenging jobs.
I'm too old now to lay on the floor with one leg wrapped around the gearshift and head resting on the brake pedal, loosening a bolt that I can't see by turning a wrench with my right hand across my body while holding a part with my left.

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
I just ordered a generic heater control valve to install inline and hopefully prevent the dreaded heater box warpage. These trucks have full heat through the heater core at all times leading to all kinds of failures (planned ?). I'm glad i don't have the big screen (hint). No dual control either. The AC is also constant and I am going to try switching the AC clutch off. These trucks are either too hot or too cold and in constant correction. A stupid design IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-B...13bc6c195e3cb18534e2f802063748&language=en_US

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
A stupid design IMO.

Agree, would rather have old style mechanical controls than these auto ACC systems which big trouble when they fail and like you I find they aren't great at maintaining stable temps.

Photo of repair is scary but not quite sufficiently scary for me to purchase an x warranty, but would be nice to know what the failure probability is for 2019 models - which I'm sure Ford knows and also sure they aren't about to share.

Counting on Ford making it less financially painful should my unit fail, or maybe some hungry lawyer will launch a class action suit.

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
I'm more concerned with the full heat damaging other components over the course of time. I bet the big screens will have early failures because of this.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I worked for just over a month as a service writer in the area my wife and I relocated to in Florida (from the ATL area) and I got to see some neat stuff. But, the wife and I discussed it and the job wasn't for me, as much as I enjoyed working around cars and trucks. And, the coworkers were pretty good to work with and treated me very well.

On May 25th, I had a 2019 Ranger come across my desk with HVAC issues. The blend door diagnosed bad, and it required a dash out repair. This day also happened to be the last day of my Factory warranty! After I quoted the repair job, I walked over to the finance department and purchased myself the Ford extended warranty.

Basically a bad blend door cost the owner $4000.00. OUCH!!!!
2022-05-31 11.40.32.jpg

Please throw some prayers and/or positive thoughts my way. I retired (early) from a 16 year career in law enforcement to move down here so my wife could start a different job. I have an application in with a local PD for a civilian position as a quartermaster-fleet manager position. I'm really hoping I get it and it turns out to be what I've been looking for!
$4,000?

How.much labor was quoted? Also as long as the HVAC system wasnt leaking any Regrigerant then you shouldn't have charged for the Refrigerant either. That seems a bit high especially for how long it took to get mine fixed.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The job was sucking the life out of me. 0650 to 1700, but many days of be stuck there until 1800. And then if go home exhausted and in a foul mood.

The coworkers were great and I got along with my boss pretty well. But the job just wasn't for me.

Hopefully I'll be around here again a bunch more!

So basically like police work, minus the ability to cuss out the "customers"?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
reading 501-12 of the tech manual, the whole process to remove the dash looks pretty tame compared to some other jobs.
it simply has a bigger wow factor on the visuals once its out of the way.

That's a job I would tackle with a 6 pack, 3 beers to get it out, 3 to get it back in.
with the limited mounting points, some chafe tape added when it goes back together, I wouldn't be worried about creating squeaks.
Hell with that, I'd be the first to do a "dash delete" mod.

:LOL: