Is there a way to keep cruise control on when you first start up your truck?

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
My last Two Acura’s (TSX and MDX) and my wife’s Honda Fit’s cruise stayed on. I can’t remember what my first generation Ford Escape did.
Our ‘17 Escape (but only SE trim) doesn’t do it, and I’m good with that.

But you’ve got me wondering - what are these “chimes” you’re talking about when setting cruise on the Ranger? I’ve been using Cruise (the ACC version) a LOT over the past few months and never had a chime ring at any point while setting it. That’s with a ‘19 Lariat if that makes a difference....
Sponsored

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
our 2018 Honda Civic doesn't need to be told to be on all the time. I mean...to be fair its an extra button press. I can see it as a convenience but not that big a deal if it didn't?

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
They try to make vehicles as idiot proof as possible for very good reason. :headbang:?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
to be fair its an extra button press. I can see it as a convenience but not that big a deal if it didn't?
I have two basic techniques:

1) I don't remember that I need to turn it on, hit the set button, start slowing down, cuss, speed up, turn it on, hit the set button again
2) I remember that I need to turn it on, hit the button to turn it on, hit the set button, start slowing down, cuss, speed up, realize it was already on and I turned it off, turn it on again, hit the set button again

there's no time that I ever want to hit the set button and have nothing happen, so the extra step of hitting the on/off button is just an unnecessary aggravation that also produces a non-deterministic set of steps to activate cruise control. I don't expect it to change, but I can still think it's stupid.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
So far with the Ranger, I have to turn it on each time, listen to the chimes, then select Set.
But you’ve got me wondering - what are these “chimes” you’re talking about when setting cruise on the Ranger? I’ve been using Cruise (the ACC version) a LOT over the past few months and never had a chime ring at any point while setting it. That’s with a ‘19 Lariat if that makes a difference....
Same. I've been using cruise control *very* consistently in my Ranger (no adaptive) and I have never once heard/seen/had a chime of any sort when turning on/enabling/disabling/etc cruise control. Just the indicator in the dash that it's on and the speed it's set at.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Same. I've been using cruise control *very* consistently in my Ranger (no adaptive) and I have never once heard/seen/had a chime of any sort when turning on/enabling/disabling/etc cruise control. Just the indicator in the dash that it's on and the speed it's set at.
Every time I turn the cruise on, I hear a series of 3, 3 ding chimes. A menu comes up on the screen giving me choices for normal cruise or adaptive cruise, etc. I hit OK for normal cruise. That doesn’t stop the chime from happening the next time I turn it on.

Housemanager

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Supercab Ranger
Every time I turn the cruise on, I hear a series of 3, 3 ding chimes. A menu comes up on the screen giving me choices for normal cruise or adaptive cruise, etc. I hit OK for normal cruise. That doesn’t stop the chime from happening the next time I turn it on.
I think it is a great design, when you turn on cruise control the message saying you turned on cruise control, displays over the digital speed display, when you need it the most.

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
You get in and hit (ON) What's the big deal. GEEEZ!!!!!!
I would like to know why when I get in it does not say hello to me like my Alexa does.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Our ‘17 Escape (but only SE trim) doesn’t do it, and I’m good with that.

I wondered about the same thing. Until reading your post I assumed it was a Canadian-spec feature.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
What was your previous car?

I've owned Fords, Chevys, Hondas, Nissans, Subarus, and Dodges.

None of them left cruise on when you shut the vehicle off.

Edit: Just remembered the old school GM cruise on the turn signal stalk. With it's toggle switch you could leave it in on.

However, it's the only consumer setup I can think of.

My milktruck's toggle switch can be left in "on" as well. But I imagine commercial vehicles differ somewhat.

Last edited:

cpnkirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
My last 2 vehicles were Silverados. Both kept cruise on all the time. I miss that, and I'd love to find that setting in FORScan!

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I'm okay with 2 step activation. But what I DO want is a clearer tactile difference between the buttons so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to use cruise.

My previous car was an 07 Honda Fit and all the buttons were very obviously different just by touch. The tactile differences on the Ranger are there, but they're too subtle.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
My Chevy has cruise on a push in (button in)...push again for off (button up)...so cruise is always on... :wink:

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Some years ago some Ford model vehicles caught fire in people's garage's because they left the cruise control switches on. I bet that they do not want to have this happen again.

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
edit to add: most annoying thing about the one that has cruise control lock on is that the guys at the shop turn it off ever f'ing time I take it in and I have to actually turn it back on.
I can relate, but in my case the bone of annoyance is they always seem to turn off the radio and turn off the Auto mode for the headlights, Kind of ticks me off. At least they follow my instructions to NOT run it thru their gratis car wash.
Sponsored