TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
sure about that?
Absolutely! Bonafide American Crocodiles. I just read of an incident a few years back where a state park ranger at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo was out with his girlfriend on the gulf coast side of the island at 9pm about 1/4 mile off shore on Kayaks to watch the fireworks. Croc came up and took a junk out of his girl friend's kayak. No warning before the event.

They have always been down there, just weren't a lot of them, But like I said, they are many more there now then when I was a there my first 19 years. I left in 1975. Adult males weigh up to 2,000 lbs and can reach lengths of 20'. I am not kidding! Crocs have a mean streak. Alligators are more mellow. Both will kill you. Both are at the top if the food chain in South Florida. I grew up 30 miles south of Miami right at the entrance of the Everglades park.

I have never seen crocs in fresh water, but I have seen them well off shore in salt water, esp from south Biscayne Bay to down around the tip of Florida heading west to Cape Sable. Here is a recent article about How the Nuke Plant is a nursery for crocs...

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
well I'll be... I'm an uninformed northerner I guess. I have never heard of them only alligators. is there hunting of crocs like gators?

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only reason I knew about them is that I grew up there and lived near the swamp. 5'-8' rattle snakes (eastern(the biggest) Timber (still big) and pygmy < 2') are the norm. Coral snakes, and Cotton mouths are also very common. I actually had several close calls as kid with cotton mouths. I caught a bass and was reeling him in when I noticed the cotton mouth following the fish. He followed him right up the bank! I started to run dragging the fish behind me until it fell off the lure. Came back a little later and the snake and the fish were gone,

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
The only reason I knew about them is that I grew up there and lived near the swamp. 5'-8' rattle snakes (eastern(the biggest) Timber (still big) and pygmy < 2') are the norm. Coral snakes, and Cotton mouths are also very common. I actually had several close calls as kid with cotton mouths. I caught a bass and was reeling him in when I noticed the cotton mouth following the fish. He followed him right up the bank! I started to run dragging the fish behind me until it fell off the lure. Came back a little later and the snake and the fish were gone,
I've had a few experiences with water moccasins just like that. they get AGGRESSIVE when it's hot out

Reactions: TJC
OP
OP

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
I rented a pontoon boat for $300 for a day. When I brought it back I asked how much and the lady told me $65k!!!! I mean granted it was brand new but it doesn't even have a hull! It's two steel tanks and when I swam under you can see the floor is plain, unfinished, unpainted plywood!

Not to mention trailer and or docking fees.
Yeah new boats are more than I paid for material when I built my house in 13. Of course trucks are to that point too. Living is expensive lol

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had a few experiences with water moccasins just like that. they get AGGRESSIVE when it's hot out
Yes! South Florida is alive! More bugs and creatures than you can count. The cotton mouths used to literally cover the road (road kill) on the Tamiami Trail.

I remember teaching my dog to retrieve sticks that I'd throw in the canals that drain the Everglades. After a few times I hear that growl / bellow ... and call my dog back! The gator is out and about! Time to go home.

It is a loud deep low growl !!
Sponsored