I quit my job, but snagged you guys a cool pic on the way out...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
whats the chances that goes back together correctly and rattle /squeak free ?
HI NB,

I have quite a bit of experience with dash removal and it is almost 100% that there will be dash rattles etc... Since these vehicles were prototypes we had to diagnose and chase the rattles and fix them... Cost in real terms on these $1M plus prototypes was a few hundred thousand dollars.. Not practical at a dealer, so here is hoping for success......

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Good for you John and it's nice to have options like this. I've heard a few say they were quoted around $2,500 for this job but $4,000? :shock: Sounds like a shady dealership to me and I'm glad you have/had the option to leave, it's not worth being unhappy! Hopefully the next one works out better for you...Good luck!!
The cost of the labor is pretty high, but so is EVERYTHING here in South Florida!

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good vibes sent your way for success John.

Sounds like crickets in here from the anti extended warranty guys that like to say how it’s a waste of money.
It'll probably be on of those things where I bought it so I'll never have to use it, but if I hadn't bought it...

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
extended warranties make someone money, and its not me......i calculate my savings over the 34 years i have been driving new vehicles and never really needing the standard warranty, so my savings are in the tens of thousands.
i can afford a blend door repair, even if it stings a little
The extended warranty was $2500 and requires a $100 deductible.
After seeing how these newer vehicles are slapped together and are requiring big ticket repairs...

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You've been fairly quiet here lately, I was curious what was up.

That was probably a cool experience for a bit. Sucks it didn't work out.

I'm betting the quartermaster/fleet gig would be right up your alley. And given your background, and adding the service writer experience, you should be a shoe in.

Good luck!
The job was sucking the life out of me. 0650 to 1700, but many days of be stuck there until 1800. And then if go home exhausted and in a foul mood.

The coworkers were great and I got along with my boss pretty well. But the job just wasn't for me.

Hopefully I'll be around here again a bunch more!

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Even the factory struggles with that sometimes , the guys at the dealer who get stuck with that job are probably mad...
Nope! The tech that did this one LOVED it! They seemed to enjoy the challenging jobs.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
After seeing how these newer vehicles are slapped together and are requiring big ticket repairs...
I've never bought one before but I just bought an extended warranty too. After seeing what others went through with this blend door (I temporarily fixed mine myself) and all the other electronics onboard, I thought it was a good move since I'll keep it at least another 2-3 years.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I'm gona be a 3 and 36 guy from here on out , or whatever factory warranty comes with it , well , mine will be time as I would never hit the mileage, which , imo , should be what counts , the mileage...warranty shouldn't be ticking away on a engine that sits in my garage ... 100 thousand mile 10 year powertrain warranty at least ...

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
I worked for just over a month as a service writer in the area my wife and I relocated to in Florida (from the ATL area) and I got to see some neat stuff. But, the wife and I discussed it and the job wasn't for me, as much as I enjoyed working around cars and trucks. And, the coworkers were pretty good to work with and treated me very well.

On May 25th, I had a 2019 Ranger come across my desk with HVAC issues. The blend door diagnosed bad, and it required a dash out repair. This day also happened to be the last day of my Factory warranty! After I quoted the repair job, I walked over to the finance department and purchased myself the Ford extended warranty.

Basically a bad blend door cost the owner $4000.00. OUCH!!!!
2022-05-31 11.40.32.jpg

Please throw some prayers and/or positive thoughts my way. I retired (early) from a 16 year career in law enforcement to move down here so my wife could start a different job. I have an application in with a local PD for a civilian position as a quartermaster-fleet manager position. I'm really hoping I get it and it turns out to be what I've been looking for!
WOW, that looks rough. I have a question since you are the expert for the moment. I have been wondering about a “blend door” issue on my 2019 Crew Cab. Passenger air is cold, driver side is coolish. Dual AC and passenger side set to 72 is much colder than driver side set to 67. Would this be a blend door problem or something else? Thanks

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
It is just ridiculous to design a vehicle where a Blend door cost $4000 to repair.
Makes me happy that I bought a life time warranty on my Ranger
Might be one too many zeros in there. I had the same problem and got mine fixed under warranty. They had to remove the dashboard and replace the whole upper heater case plenum. In and out the same day.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I’d rather have it & not need it than need it & not have it. Unfortunately, been there done that. :oops:

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I been buying extended warranties for new cars for the last 4 years. Honda, Ford, Jeep and ave cost is around $1500 for 6 yr 100k. Always search internet for manufactures warranty. With todays electronics, computers, sensors and dealer hourly labor cost etc, an extended warranty is a no brainer IMO.

Four months ago my wife’s Honda Si needed injectors and a fuel rail…..$1200 repair bill and cost me nothing because of warranty. Honda is one of those run forever cant kill it type of vehicle (maybe not anymore, I dunno). Glad I have four more years and 65k of coverage on my already paid for warranty to cover us thru my retirement.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
WOW, that looks rough. I have a question since you are the expert for the moment. I have been wondering about a “blend door” issue on my 2019 Crew Cab. Passenger air is cold, driver side is coolish. Dual AC and passenger side set to 72 is much colder than driver side set to 67. Would this be a blend door problem or something else? Thanks
Mine did just the opposite, heat coming out of the driver's side vents that was so hot , I couldn't hold my hand in front of them regardless of the temp setting, auto or manual, only had fan speed #2. The passenger side worked normally. They found codes B1081:07 & B1086:07 stored in the FCIM. Mode and left door linkage were broken.
Might be one too many zeros in there. I had the same problem and got mine fixed under warranty. They had to remove the dashboard and replace the whole upper heater case plenum. In and out the same day.
IMG_0586.JPG

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Even the factory struggles with that sometimes , the guys at the dealer who get stuck with that job are probably mad...
when i was still working at the GM Oshawa Car Plant, we had one guy in the repair department who would tackle those kinda repair jobs. It took him a long time to re & re the dash but he was quite capable and luckily there weren't too many times he had to do it.

I might check to make sure I still have his number though just in case I need him to work on my Ford LOL
Sponsored