Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the the results are in. TheNorseman’s Ranger will go un-dampened! Sorry Dave! Keep up the good work!! I’m with you in spirit! (This seems like a great opportunity to develop your own line of professional grade extreme tailgate dampers, in order to spread the good news further toward the poles)
Guaranteed that @AzScorpion has already spread the good news to the Poles. ;)
Sponsored

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I’m wondering if I can find a tailgate damper that functions down to -40. (Looking at you Dave) I know the DeeZee one tends to slow and seize at lower temps, and I am not interested in dealing with that. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to all, including product links, name calling, and death threats. If I can’t find one that meets that qualification I’ll just have to go un-dampened.
Let the fireworks commence!
What temps are you talking about? I live in Minnesota and do not have issues with my damper in the winter here (which last about 6 months). We do occasionally see prolonged negative temps.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Well not to many things work well at -40, I know I don't! ? Plus, it's already been proven the others are junk. There's only one original!

DeeZee.png
100,100 miles tough! At minus 40, I don't work so problem solved...

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I added the damper to my 2015 F-150 - was the Ford parts one that installed behind the tail light. My 2018 F-150 had it from the factory because of the power tailgate. Both worked well all year. Added this to the Ranger, love it most of the time. What a pain when it gets too cold.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
It was zero here today and damper worked fine.

Summary
February 9, 2023

HighLowAverage
Temperature29.5 °F-0.4 °F10.2 °F
Dew Point19.2 °F-3.3 °F5.6 °F
Humidity92 %50 %83 %
Precipitation0.00 in----

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well, we all know that power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Here we have a perfect example of a dubious moderator's power being weaponized.
?

Sergeant Hulka.jpg

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Knowing the F-series have a torsion bar inside the tailgate, I searched if the Ranger does. I see there are kits available for the ROW Rangers (includes torsion bar, brackets, and an optional damper). Does the NA model have a torsion bar from the factory?

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I can attest to the dampers slow opening when cold. But they are easy enough to take off for the cold season. I haven't done so yet but it's always an option. :like:

OP
OP
TheNorseman

TheNorseman

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Cactus Grey Ford Ranger XLT, FX4
Occupation
Metalworker
What temps are you talking about? I live in Minnesota and do not have issues with my damper in the winter here (which last about 6 months). We do occasionally see prolonged negative temps.
OEM dampers on most trucks I’ve come across are virtually unusable at anything below -30, which we generally get 2 weeks to a month of up here every winter. As someone said, the bigger ford trucks have torsion bars, and those still work, but I think I’ve only seen one damper work well on a truck at those temps, and it was much larger than what would work on the ranger.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OEM dampers on most trucks I’ve come across are virtually unusable at anything below -30, which we generally get 2 weeks to a month of up here every winter. As someone said, the bigger ford trucks have torsion bars, and those still work, but I think I’ve only seen one damper work well on a truck at those temps, and it was much larger than what would work on the ranger.
You'd have to be a "seasonal" damper user. Just pop it off before winter and store it until spring like a bear going into hibernation. ??

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
You'd have to be a "seasonal" damper user. Just pop it off before winter and store it until spring like a bear going into hibernation. ??
Oh the seasonal, BANG! I don't know how the gun went off...

Bravohook

First Name
Addame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Sheepdog
I’m wondering if I can find a tailgate damper that functions down to -40. (Looking at you Dave) I know the DeeZee one tends to slow and seize at lower temps, and I am not interested in dealing with that. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to all, including product links, name calling, and death threats. If I can’t find one that meets that qualification I’ll just have to go un-dampened.
I have one and really, its not needed. I just got to get it. When I lived in MT and it got into the negative it would take the tailgate forever to open up I would find myself pushing it down, most likely shortening the life span of it. Im gonna remove mine when I get back home from my work trip.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
????????????????????

Sponsored

Last edited: