First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Cactus Grey Ford Ranger XLT, FX4
Occupation
Metalworker
A good friend on mine has a maple syrup business back in MA. It started out as a hobby then morphed into a huge business for them. He's also one of the only certified organic ones in the area and makes a killing now. You wouldn't believe how much he does in the maple shack he has out front of his house? There's a non stop flow of cars all day there and he sells a ton of maple ice cream and maple cotton candy too.

https://ferrindino.com
I used to live in Vermont, and I would kill for some real maple soft serve! They call it cremee there for some reason
Sponsored

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here because I see several posts about adding octane boosters. You don't want to add any octane booster to your fuel that uses methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl, also called MMT. This is pretty much all of the off the shelf octane boosters. The Ford Ranger Owner's manual specifically warns against doing this.

I run high octane as much as I can because our trucks are designed for higher-compression, as are many turbo-charged 4-cylinder engines. Ford says, in your manual, in forums, in news articles that higher octane fuel will improve the engine performance. They also say not to use any fuel less than 87 octane, even when operating at higher altitudes. They have a reason for adapting the engine to operate satisfactorily with 87 octane and that is sales. Many people and companies will not purchase a vehicle that "requires" higher octane because of higher operating costs.

Higher octane does not mean higher energy. You will get more power because the ignition of the fuel is happening with greater compression. If a lower octane fuel is used, you will not produce as much power, but as long as all the fuel is being burned, you are producing the same amount of work. So MPG will not improve, very much, with a higher octane fuel. Also, if your engine is designed to operate with 87 octane fuel, then using 91 or 93 octane fuel will not improve power and might actually reduce the power. An older engine might improve if it is knocking.
Thanks for bringing this up. I really like the points you make here, although I do not fully understand what you mean by "You will get more power (with higher octane) because the ignition of the fuel is happening with greater compression." This would only make sense to me if the computer is dynamically adjusting boost control depending on the octane, but I think that this is only achievable through a new tune.

The benefit of running higher octane is that it allows you to run higher compression either by design (bore / stroke / head volume, etc.) for all engines or boost control for turbocharged or supercharged engines. I doubt that the ECU is dynamically adjusting boost control when you put in higher octane fuel or else aftermarket tunes would be less necessary. Tunes such as the Ford Performance Tune and Livernois can achieve higher power numbers in their higher octane tunes by increasing the boost.

The owner's manual states, "For best overall performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."

My impression is that the engine is altering the timing slightly, retarding the timing when the computer detects pinging under load via knock sensors, which is more likely to happen in hot conditions and situations like towing. Under normal driving conditions, if the engine doesn't knock or ping, you might not experience any difference between 87 and 93 octane.

Running E10 or E15 versus ethanol free gasoline is another story. Ethanol fuels can be quite good for boosted engines since the ethanol has a greater evaporative cooling effect in some applications like throttle body fuel injection, allowing more air to make it into the cylinder. More air = more power.

BUT with direct injection, I think we completely miss out on this benefit since the air and fuel do not mix until they are in the cylinder, so there are no chances to cool the charge and squeeze more air into the cylinder. Bummer.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Thanks David! And my IRA thanks you too. :oops:?
As someone who likes using products to make our Rangers better. And someone who knows about fuel additives, do you know anything about this one?

Seems pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2007-Gasoline-Injection/dp/B00CPL8PSG

"... tested by Technischer Überwachungsverein (Technical Inspection Association), an independent German testing firm. TUV approval means it’s been tested for safety and that it meets manufacturer claims "

1675273454167.png

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here because I see several posts about adding octane boosters. You don't want to add any octane booster to your fuel that uses methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl, also called MMT. This is pretty much all of the off the shelf octane boosters. The Ford Ranger Owner's manual specifically warns against doing this.

I run high octane as much as I can because our trucks are designed for higher-compression, as are many turbo-charged 4-cylinder engines. Ford says, in your manual, in forums, in news articles that higher octane fuel will improve the engine performance. They also say not to use any fuel less than 87 octane, even when operating at higher altitudes. They have a reason for adapting the engine to operate satisfactorily with 87 octane and that is sales. Many people and companies will not purchase a vehicle that "requires" higher octane because of higher operating costs.

Higher octane does not mean higher energy. You will get more power because the ignition of the fuel is happening with greater compression. If a lower octane fuel is used, you will not produce as much power, but as long as all the fuel is being burned, you are producing the same amount of work. So MPG will not improve, very much, with a higher octane fuel. Also, if your engine is designed to operate with 87 octane fuel, then using 91 or 93 octane fuel will not improve power and might actually reduce the power. An older engine might improve if it is knocking.
I can confirm that the Fuel Injector Pro does NOT have any MMT in it. I had emailed the chemist I know there and he confirmed it. I'm sure many others do and it's definitely something to be aware of.

Q: Hi Mike,

Hope you are well.

I have a question hopefully you can answer.

Does the Fuel Injector Pro contain Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl ?

A: Hi David,

No it does not contain any.

Mike

Gold Eagle Co.
4400 S. Kildare Ave.
Chicago, IL
60632-4372

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As someone who likes using products to make our Rangers better. And someone who knows about fuel additives, do you know anything about this one?

Seems pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2007-Gasoline-Injection/dp/B00CPL8PSG

"... tested by Technischer Überwachungsverein (Technical Inspection Association), an independent German testing firm. TUV approval means it’s been tested for safety and that it meets manufacturer claims "

1675273454167.png
Sorry David I don't. I've been using the Fuel Injector Pro for years and haven't tried anything else. They said the ones you just purchased were the replacement (even though it's been out for while) for the FIP.

Amazon! :shock::oops:o_O...Shame on you!:crackup:??

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Sorry David I don't. I've been using the Fuel Injector Pro for years and haven't tried anything else. They said the ones you just purchased were the replacement (even though it's been out for while) for the FIP.

Amazon! :shock::oops:o_O...Shame on you!:crackup:??
LOL, I'll order Liqui Moly as soon as you start carrying it! -D

From the reviews and explanations, it looks like quite the product. I don't think I'd use it often. The one I did get from Gold Eagle will be for each tankful for both our cars, so lots of use of a seemingly very safe product (some cleaners, with too much PEA, seem to be able to destroy oxygen sensors). Of course, that's all anecdotal but I don't want to be that guy, especially with Soupie. The dump attendant's might worry if Soupie breaks down.

Soupie's older cousin, Minty, broken down after being overloaded for the dump:

1675275274207.png

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
LOL, I'll order Liqui Moly as soon as you start carrying it! -D

From the reviews and explanations, it looks like quite the product. I don't think I'd use it often. The one I did get from Gold Eagle will be for each tankful for both our cars, so lots of use of a seemingly very safe product (some cleaners, with too much PEA, seem to be able to destroy oxygen sensors). Of course, that's all anecdotal but I don't want to be that guy, especially with Soupie. The dump attendant's might worry if Soupie breaks down.

Soupie's older cousin, Minty, broken down after being overloaded for the dump:

1675275274207.png
I'm sure it's good it's just once I find a product and company I really like I rarely look elsewhere. I joke a lot about the Graphene being the best (well it is! :wink:) but there's so many great detailing products out there now and work well too. I use to use Optimum products and really liked them but they just didn't hold up well out here. I'd be lucky to get 6 months before it broke down. I saw the Graphene and was reluctant to try it but have used many other Gold Eagle products and now their quality. With the Graphene and the Graphene detailer even after 1 year I still get great protection and water beading. Just goes back to the old saying "If it's not broke, don't fix it." :D

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
I'm sure it's good it's just once I find a product and company I really like I rarely look elsewhere. I joke a lot about the Graphene being the best (well it is! :wink:) but there's so

many great detailing products out there now and work well too. I use to use Optimum products and really liked them but they just didn't hold up well out here. I'd be lucky to get 6 months before it broke down. I saw the Graphene and was reluctant to try it but have used many other Gold Eagle products and now their quality. With the Graphene and the Graphene detailer even after 1 year I still get great protection and water beading. Just goes back to the old saying "If it's not broke, don't fix it." :D
I'm convinced my Graphene from the summer is still holding up. Soupie always looks shiny (but Soupie rarely drives on wet winter highways, so none of that nasty winter road grime. You know it all too well from your time in Massachusetts. Did that drive you nuts back then or is you super shiny truck action a more recent development?

I really see Graphene as the "modern wax". It's easier to apply, can be bugffed off sooner, and is easier to buff off with very long lasting results. I'm a 100% convert to it. Thanks to you (a serious thanks this time). =)

How Soupie feels after Graphene - vroom vroom!

1675282535320.png

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I'm convinced my Graphene from the summer is still holding up. Soupie always looks shiny (but Soupie rarely drives on wet winter highways, so none of that nasty winter road grime. You know it all too well from your time in Massachusetts. Did that drive you nuts back then or is you super shiny truck action a more recent development?

I really see Graphene as the "modern wax". It's easier to apply, can be bugffed off sooner, and is easier to buff off with very long lasting results. I'm a 100% convert to it. Thanks to you (a serious thanks this time). =)

1675282535320.png
greta.gif

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

1675282535320.png
I've always been an OCD nut even back there. As you know it's just harder to try and keep things clean especially when you get those below freezing temps. But I would usually go out and hand wash my truck every Sunday during the winter just to get the salt off it to the self wand wash. I'd use those gloves I linked in the other thread so it really wasn't to bad as my driveway was in the sun.

Living out there is a lot nicer as we don't have a lot of rain so it stays cleaner much longer. It's just challenging in the summer when it's 112+ but the self serve wand wash again comes to the rescue. We've had more rain than usual this winter (but it is our rainy season now) so it's due for a good detail but for me it still needs to warm up some. ?