Poll - Is the tailgate damper the new "Rick Roll" ?

Having any funny response to the tailgate damper is like

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
survival of the fittest. i got smacked with a few heavier old fashioned tailgates when i was a kid. plus I used to sit in the back of the station wagon with the rear window down to suck the exhaust... never affected me... twitch
[/QUOTE
Many of us did such things as children because maybe our parents did not know any better or because that's just how things were at the time (I've ridden many miles unsecured in the back seat of a car and in the back of a pickup truck). But that doesn't mean we can't take advantage of safety measures available to us today that were not available "back in the day".

I'm not a believer in "helicopter parenting" and keeping kids completely away from every little thing that could hurt them. But I AM a believer in keeping them reasonably safe using whatever measures are available to us now.

For some of us, the damper thing is a fun joke to manipulate...but for some of us that still have little ones running around, it's an actual safety consideration that maybe is no joke to those that have kids or grandkids to watch after.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
"150 + lbs tailgate right to the face. "

credibility out the window right there.

I have not remove the tailgate and was guestimating based on my thinking it was steel, not aluminum. Despite this getting hit in the head with even a 15 - 20 pound plate with the force at which the un-dampered tailgate opens can and will do damage. For example recently I was driving in t-posts and lifted the driving tool that weighs 25-30 pounds up a little too far, cought the edge of the post and came down hitting me on the top of the head with the side of the tool from about 6-8 inches. I suffered a minor concussion as a result. Now take a say for argument's sake a 15-20 pound tailgate, when opened freely will impact with as much if not more force as what I experienced because the only resistance is from the hinges and hitting a child in the face/head. So yeah.. It's going to cause injuries to the kid, from minor bruising to possible bone fractures.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
Some of my best remembered life lessons are from experiencing them. Not everyone gets a trophy and life is hard especially if you don’t learn from your mistakes.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Been using mine for over a year and so glad I did this every time I open the gate...don't understand the hate...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Been using mine for over a year and so glad I did this every time I open the gate...don't understand the hate...
Same here. I use mine several times a day and love this cheap, easy mod! Some here Ahem... @FoD just take a little longer to convince. ? ?

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
"150 + lbs tailgate right to the face. "

credibility out the window right there.

I know a tailgate is heavy to a point. but you're grossly exaggerating.
i know shit happens, and when 10 stars line up in the milky way and you do manage to drop the tailgate on your kids head....you can look at the thousands of other risky situations they were in before this even had a chance to happen.
a TG damper has turned from an item of convenience to a safety feature. thats desperation in my mind.
I still dont have one....but maybe i should in case that kid down the street shows up unannounced.
Good grief, you nailed it! So many ridiculous excuses for unwatched children, cargo management, unlocked vehicles, skittish personalities or whatever lame excuses.....you are so correct, but nobody will own up to it! Thank you!

OP
OP
FoD

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. I use mine several times a day and love this cheap, easy mod! Some here Ahem... @FoD just take a little longer to convince. ? ?
Been working with the removed rear shocks, took someone's earlier idea and set them up as opposing push-pulls.

Now, it looks like you have shove down with all you shoulder arm and upper body strength push closed with all your leg and back strength. No more head bonking kids ever and you wind up looking like Stone Cold Steve Austin!

Oh he'll yeah!
1600908326264.png

even better tailgate mod?

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Damper deniers...they should remove their shocks and show us how it's done ? :crackup:

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
No Karen's, Dave's, princess', snowflakes or amateurs allowed.
hey hey hey easy with that. I'm a Dave I hand split firewood for the winter. turn my garden by hand. I use a push mower. I change my own oil. I built My sauna even hand mixed the concrete for the slab. My wife aka PRINCESS can throw 50LB boxes of potatoes with gusto- bitch scares me. little Japanese ladies shouldn't be able to throw half their weight. The rest of that statement is fine and add millenials. oh I HATE MY DAMPER!

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
hey hey hey easy with that. I'm a Dave I hand split firewood for the winter. turn my garden by hand. I use a push mower. I change my own oil. I built My sauna even hand mixed the concrete for the slab. My wife aka PRINCESS can throw 50LB boxes of potatoes with gusto- bitch scares me. little Japanese ladies shouldn't be able to throw half their weight. The rest of that statement is fine and add millenials. oh I HATE MY DAMPER!
Easy fix, have PRINCESS remove it for you.:rockon:

OP
OP
FoD

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Easy fix, have PRINCESS remove it for you.:rockon:
In this particular case, you probably need to spell out the "it" that princess is going to remove, especially if ripping or tearing is involved ?
Sponsored