Damper falling off (the horror!)

Aragorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Crew Cab
About three or four times now, I have opened my tailgate and it has slammed open with the “thunk” you would expect of an un-damped tailgate (The horror!). Sure enough, each time the Ford tailgate damper I bought from @LevittownFordParts.com has popped off from the top each time.

I can always pop it back on easily enough, but it inevitably happens again within a few weeks.

Is this user error? Did I forget an installation step? Or do I have a dud of a damper?
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
That is what happens with the unnecessary junk. Now you dont know what to do. You have become dependent on junk where as if you had been operating the tailgate the normal way you would have one less problem. ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Can you take a picture of it so we can see the instal? I've had mine for almost a year now and have never had any problems with it. Only thing I can think of is the back plate is loose or installed crooked and it's sliding a little and causing the damper to pop out of place. You really have to make sure it's tightened good or it will slide after a few uses.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
About three or four times now, I have opened my tailgate and it has slammed open with the “thunk” you would expect of an un-damped tailgate (The horror!). Sure enough, each time the Ford tailgate damper I bought from @LevittownFordParts.com has popped off from the top each time.

I can always pop it back on easily enough, but it inevitably happens again within a few weeks.

Is this user error? Did I forget an installation step? Or do I have a dud of a damper?
Hi Aragorn,

Check your cable and make sure it is not getting trapped when you close the tailgate.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
I have the same issue, its a "training" issue with the cable on that side.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
clearly you need the double install....then you have the backup damper just in case.
No, that side is for the tailgate closer for when they are made for you girls. LOL:giggle:

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So, basically, train the cable by bending it out of the way when I close it?
Just add something like a velcro tie and it will guide the cable back to the side. I had a velcro tie from a HDMI cable and then added some black tape to the bottom this way it can't bind between the damper and the body.

Velcro:Tailgate Strap.jpg

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Just add something like a velcro tie and it will guide the cable back to the side. I had a velcro tie from a HDMI cable and then added some black tape to the bottom this way it can't bind between the damper and the body.

Velcro:Tailgate Strap.jpg
So now things are evolving in to mods for dampers? We might need a new sub forum for that. :p

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
So now things are evolving in to mods for dampers? We might need a new sub forum for that. :p
OMG!!! I haven't even fallen for the mod yet and now it's doubled in price and requiring more hardware!!
That's it, I'm going for a Ridgeline!!:LOL:

Not to mention that Dave needs more things to keep him rolling in the forums...:angel:

and the problem was probably caused by using it as a B@tt scratcher while trying to figure out how to install it in the first place...and that bent the rod :blush:

This really is the mod that keeps on giving, it's probably the best of all time.:computerrage:

I'll be smiling all day on this one, thanks all!!

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just re-read all this and laughed out loud in real life :LOL:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OMG!!! I haven't even fallen for the mod yet and now it's doubled in price and requiring more hardware!!
That's it, I'm going for a Ridgeline!!:LOL:

Not to mention that Dave needs more things to keep him rolling in the forums...:angel:
You'd better not! :punch: I've already lost on friend here to a RL no way another is defecting!

I told you before you'd better get your damper sooner than later or else. ?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You'd better not! :punch: I've already lost on friend here to a RL no way another is defecting!

I told you before you'd better get your damper sooner than later or else. ?
That probably would never happen as someone I am married to would have to reattach a physical component then saw them off again,,,aaaaiiiiiieeeeee:lipssealed:

EDIT: I just realized that the above statement COULD cover one or the other or both of your statements... I can't get a damper cause my wife said so lol!!! and I spent a goodly amount of time getting to the Ranger and the RL was discarded waaaaay back there before the Taco went out the door;)

Last edited:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
you bought a damper didn't you???
Funny story, I was in the parking lot of HomeDespot and accidental ly dropped the tg open..kaboom. First thought was that snapped the cables straight! Second thought was how fast it opened and third thought was glad that Dave wasn't around to see cause I hate told you so's...:turkey:

No, haven't bought one yet
Sponsored

Last edited: