Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
My truck has 700 miles on it. Ceramic coated and garage kept.

Looked at the hood yesterday, and there are two very fine dings on the front of the hood where the closing mechanism is under the metal. Makes me kind of curious if this is a widespread issue, but I haven't seen any others to verify.

At least make me feel better, lol.
Sponsored

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
11k miles open close hood a lot on oil checks. no dings .in fact paint has held up pretty good with no chips !!(maybe your latch is nt hitting center? i would be at dealer !!

OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
11k miles open close hood a lot on oil checks. no dings .in fact paint has held up pretty good with no chips !!(maybe your latch is nt hitting center? i would be at dealer !!

They're not at all visible to passerbys. And I am VERY OCD about paint work (I used to do body work and ran detailing business). The dealer would just have a shop that doesn't know what they're doing around here paint it and fill it. It's about 0.2mm deep indent.

I will keep it as is since its not terrible, but I'm thinking that the dealer that installed my leveling kit did it.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Bumped my hood with the trash can and have a dent almost dead center.
I know the tailgate is Aluminum, is the hood also?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Bumped my hood with the trash can and have a dent almost dead center.
I know the tailgate is Aluminum, is the hood also?
Hi Mike,

Entire front clip is aluminum.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I’m cursed with new vehicles, somehow I’ll put a ding in it within a few weeks no matter how hard I try to avoid.
Sure enough, three weeks in, my door gets away from me and have my first ding.
Good, it’s done, all other dings won’t bother me as much. It’s been christened.

Happens with new bikes too. :mad:

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Not yet on the Ranger, but I bought a 2016 M3 when they first came out, $72k with every option on it. Less than two weeks after I bought it someone slammed a door into my passenger side front door, so bad they had to order a new door skin and replace it, talk about feeling sick.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I have a tiny ding on my front passenger door. My fault though. When I was installing my leather steering cover, my truck was near the garage door. I have large swinging screen doors that close in front of the garage door. Windy day, didn't secure the screen door well enough... Bam. My fault.

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
If it makes you feel better, I've had a bunch of dings and minor damage since buying my 2019 Ranger last July. The first bit of damage I did was opening the door and accidentally hitting a tree with the door edge. This caused the paint along the edges of the door to be quite damaged (about 1.5 inch long right around the edge). Fortunately, I bought some rubber edge guards (black) that matches the color of the rest of my truck's accessories (plastic bed liner / black running boards) and so it actually looks quite nice with them on and you cannot see the paint scratch. The next set of dings (about 3 very small but visible under the right light conditions) happened all on the passenger side door. I do not have a garage and park in a car port. My neighbor hit my truck several times with his old 1990s Chevy Cavalier (those doors are heavy as hell). Each time it did a minor ding. Third, I got a pretty nasty clearcoat only scratch on the hood when visiting my parents, my mother decided to wipe off a very small branch that had fallen from a small tree on my hood. When she did so (she's a short old lady), the branch caused about a 12-13 inch scratch right in the middle of the hood, but it is 100% clearcoat (can't feel it to the touch) so I will likely buff it at some point (once more damage is accumulated over time).

Finally, and the worst so far, my neighbor once again opened his car door, but this time let go of his door and it swung open (my car port is downhill next to his). Rather than "tapping" my truck, it hit it hard, caused about a 1/2 inch deep ding (literally on the body line of the back door) and minor clearcoat scratches. I called a paintless dent repair guy, he was able to get about 90% of the ding out, but he said he would need to drill a hole if I wanted the body line to match exactly with the rest (I left it as is, as you can't tell unless you are literally looking at it closer than 2 feet away).

- I'm not even going to talk about the damage that a plastic bed liner does to the bed paint, but that's okay. I plan to Spray some LineX on the bed in a year or two.

This is all despite me doing everything in my power to try to take care of my truck. I park as far away all of the time, I wash/wax once a month at least, I never take it off road and mostly use it for freeway driving and carrying mid size furniture on the bed (moderately sized desks, cabinets, mattresses, etc.).

Honestly, I feel like if you don't have a garage of your own now days, you just can't keep a vehicle body/paint in excellent condition anymore.

From my year with this Ranger I have found a few things I hate about it. (1) Body panels are the thinnest I have ever seen in a truck. Honestly, I went to the Chevy and Nissan dealers near me, and knocked on the door body panels on the frontier and Colorado, both are a bit more substantial / hefty sounding than the Ranger. I assume the steel is very thin on these trucks. (2) The paint is very easy to chip/damage compared to older vehicles (I have a 2002 Camaro with original paint, always kept outside, has been through hell, never waxed, barely washed, and the paint still mostly holding up). I doubt this truck (even with regular washing/waxing) will have beautiful looking paint longer than a 2nd year of ownership. (3) Always go with "White" as your color, less hot in summer, and you can't notice clear coat scratches all that much! The darker the color, the more imperfections are visible.

After a year of ownership, I feel mixed about the truck's long-term potential to stay looking good. I have faith that the performance will stay good over time though.

Last edited:

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
If it makes you feel better, I've had a bunch of dings and minor damage since buying my 2019 Ranger last July. The first bit of damage I did was opening the door and accidentally hitting a tree with the door edge. This caused the paint along the edges of the door to be quite damaged (about 1.5 inch long right around the edge). Fortunately, I bought some rubber edge guards (black) that matches the color of the rest of my truck's accessories (plastic bed liner / black running boards) and so it actually looks quite nice with them on and you cannot see the paint scratch. The next set of dings (about 3 very small but visible under the right light conditions) happened all on the passenger side door. I do not have a garage and park in a car port. My neighbor hit my truck several times with his old 1990s Chevy Cavalier (those doors are heavy as hell). Each time it did a minor ding. Third, I got a pretty nasty clearcoat only scratch on the hood when visiting my parents, my mother decided to wipe off a very small branch that had fallen from a small tree on my hood. When she did so (she's a short old lady), the branch caused about a 12-13 inch scratch right in the middle of the hood, but it is 100% clearcoat (can't feel it to the touch) so I will likely buff it at some point (once more damage is accumulated over time).

Finally, and the worst so far, my neighbor once again opened his car door, but this time let go of his door and it swung open (my car port is downhill next to his). Rather than "tapping" my truck, it hit it hard, caused about a 1/2 inch deep ding (literally on the body line of the back door) and minor clearcoat scratches. I called a paintless dent repair guy, he was able to get about 90% of the ding out, but he said he would need to drill a hole if I wanted the body line to match exactly with the rest (I left it as is, as you can't tell unless you are literally looking at it closer than 2 feet away).

- I'm not even going to talk about the damage that a plastic bed liner does to the bed paint, but that's okay. I plan to Spray some LineX on the bed in a year or two.

This is all despite me doing everything in my power to try to take care of my truck. I park as far away all of the time, I wash/wax once a month at least, I never take it off road and mostly use it for freeway driving and carrying mid size furniture on the bed (moderately sized desks, cabinets, mattresses, etc.).

Honestly, I feel like if you don't have a garage of your own now days, you just can't keep a vehicle body/paint in excellent condition anymore.

From my year with this Ranger I have found a few things I hate about it. (1) Body panels are the thinnest I have ever seen in a truck. Honestly, I went to the Chevy and Nissan dealers near me, and knocked on the door body panels on the frontier and Colorado, both are a bit more substantial / hefty sounding than the Ranger. I assume the steel is very thin on these trucks. (2) The paint is very easy to chip/damage compared to older vehicles (I have a 2002 Camaro with original paint, always kept outside, has been through hell, never waxed, barely washed, and the paint still mostly holding up). I doubt this truck (even with regular washing/waxing) will have beautiful looking paint longer than a 2nd year of ownership. (3) Always go with "White" as your color, less hot in summer, and you can't notice clear coat scratches all that much! The darker the color, the more imperfections are visible.

After a year of ownership, I feel mixed about the truck's long-term potential to stay looking good. I have faith that the performance will stay good over time though.
My neighbor would only do that once. That is pretty rude.

PeterPotatoes

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Mechanic
With about 2.5k miles, the sides have multiple scratches from pine trees on tight trails and dented skid plates.

Doesn't bother me, I have a 350z I'm trying to make into my garage queen.

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
My neighbor would only do that once. That is pretty rude.
He is/was a dick, but what could I do man? An elderly retired guy in his early 70s and a veteran. He had been giving the apartment managers problems for years, but they couldn't kick him out. Apparently, he drove away other tenants who were living where I am now. He's the kind of guy who would knock on your door accusing you of shit you didn't do.

With that said, a few weeks ago the land lord had to call an ambulance for him, apparently he was extremely ill (has/had lots of health conditions), and he has not come back for 3 weeks since he wen to the hospital. Sadly, I think he might be critically sick, or maybe worse. I'm glad I didn't make it a bigger deal with hindsight. Poor guy. Can't even be mad at him.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
He is/was a dick, but what could I do man? An elderly retired guy in his early 70s and a veteran. He had been giving the apartment managers problems for years, but they couldn't kick him out. Apparently, he drove away other tenants who were living where I am now. He's the kind of guy who would knock on your door accusing you of shit you didn't do.

With that said, a few weeks ago the land lord had to call an ambulance for him, apparently he was extremely ill (has/had lots of health conditions), and he has not come back for 3 weeks since he wen to the hospital. Sadly, I think he might be critically sick, or maybe worse. I'm glad I didn't make it a bigger deal with hindsight. Poor guy. Can't even be mad at him.
Your compassion is commendable.:)