Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
How did that work out? I've been told that you can't do paintless with aluminum hood.
I just had this done by a local pro...the two sizable dents on front of my hood resulting from a flying bolt has now been smoothed out...still left the area needing to be touched up...
Sponsored

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
I just had this done by a local pro...the two sizable dents on front of my hood resulting from a flying bolt has now been smoothed out...still left the area needing to be touched up...
Hmmm... maybe I should do some more investigation. Did this person have their own setup? Small town in middle of nowhere so not sure I can find that level of expertise here. But gosh I hate having to do a full respray etc.. even tho I wouldn't be paying for it.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ouch-pdr-on-aluminum-hood.9684/

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
How did that work out? I've been told that you can't do paintless with aluminum hood.
Came out fine. Can’t tell anything happened.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm... maybe I should do some more investigation. Did this person have their own setup? Small town in middle of nowhere so not sure I can find that level of expertise here. But gosh I hate having to do a full respray etc.. even tho I wouldn't be paying for it.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ouch-pdr-on-aluminum-hood.9684/
Yes, this person's a long time pro doing PDR...The guy who fixed my dent said aluminum hood can be stronger than steel and takes different technique...but are just as fixable as steel...

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Just a fair warning for folks. The metal on this truck can ding very easily .... way easier than I actually ever thought possible. Not exaggerating when I say it's about as durable as a can of beans. I'm in the habit of tapping the metal with my knuckles every time I wash it. I don't do it hard, just loud enough to remind me of how hollow the body panels are (yes it really does bother me that the truck body feels cheap). Well, I looked at those areas under the right light today and noticed about 15 minor distortions. Turns out they are dings but they are so small that you cannot feel them or see them if you're up close. You can only see them if you look at them from the right angle. I caused all of those by simply tapping my Knuckles against the metal. I didn't do it any harder than I would have knocking on a wooden door. Either my truck is especially crappy, my skinny sedentary ass is miraculously strong, or these body panels are just pathetic.

Last edited:

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
He is/was a dick, but what could I do man? An elderly retired guy in his early 70s and a veteran. He had been giving the apartment managers problems for years, but they couldn't kick him out. Apparently, he drove away other tenants who were living where I am now. He's the kind of guy who would knock on your door accusing you of shit you didn't do.

With that said, a few weeks ago the land lord had to call an ambulance for him, apparently he was extremely ill (has/had lots of health conditions), and he has not come back for 3 weeks since he wen to the hospital. Sadly, I think he might be critically sick, or maybe worse. I'm glad I didn't make it a bigger deal with hindsight. Poor guy. Can't even be mad at him.
That guy was a dick. Point blank. Old. Sick. Or not. A dick is a dick. I would have called the law on him everyone he damaged my property.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Had a nice ding on my hood at 3k that I had pushed out recently but nothing since...knock on wood...

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
I've now got 3 scuffed factory sport wheels. A few scratches on both sides. That being said this is the most I have had in a truck since I was a kid. I've had it a 3 offroad parks and multiple gravel and forest roads. I'm still impressed with how capable these trucks are.

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
Just found a ding on my driver door sill... No idea where it came from but i don't put my foot there. Any suggestion on sill covers? or just get PDR done?

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I just put a pretty good ding in my door sill. I was planning to get sill covers anyway. I never expected this, though.

What’s shocking to me is that I dented it with my right shin. It was raining, and I slipped and fell getting in. Landed square on the sill. No broken bones, thank God. Hurt like hell. Started swelling immediately, and looked like was going to be a pretty decent bruise. I didn’t get home for about 4 hours after it happened. I put a bunch of DMSO on it, and it’s not even bruised now. Happened 5 days ago.

71970D0A-AB40-452E-8CF7-8FA168E241F2.jpeg

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
Damn man - my shin hurts by looking at that. Wish Ford put some rubber/plastic sill covers on. Seems silly they didn't especially on a truck higher than normal. Could have sworn my old 92 Ranger had them. I'll have to take pic of mine and upload it but it is in middle of sill near where yours is atm.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn man - my shin hurts by looking at that. Wish Ford put some rubber/plastic sill cover. Seems silly they didn't especially on a truck higher than normal. Could have sworn my old 92 Ranger had them. I'll have to take pic of mine and upload it but it is in middle of sill near where yours is atm.
I know what you mean. My 2000 Mazda B3000 had one. Every car I've ever owned had 'something' there. I was surprised it had nothing. Unprotected paint where the boots belong seems like asking for trouble. I'm looking at aftermarket sill covers.

It did hurt... Still got a lump on the shin...

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Noticed a new one just recently. The setting sun highlighted a very subtle dimple on the hood right up near the windshield. We had a pretty serious hailstorm a week before, so I'm guessing there was one hailstone that was just a little bit bigger than the rest. I checked over the rest of the truck really carefully and don't see any others. The paint is fine, and you really have to have the light hit it just right to see the dimple, so I'm not going to bother with doing anything about it.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Just found a ding on my driver door sill... No idea where it came from but i don't put my foot there. Any suggestion on sill covers? or just get PDR done?
Won't really help with dings, unless it is really small, but I went with these from Amazon:

Here is a picture of what they look like. It's just a sticker, but it works and was fairly cheap.
20210703_172843.jpg