How do you reach all of the outside of your windshield to dry it?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It’s funny, I sometimes use a Leaf Blower to initialky get the water off the truck and it works great on the body, but does not do a great job on the windshield.

Perhaps I have to rinse the windshield more to get more of the waxes off, because the water sure adheres to it. (Waxes included in the soap and from Meguairs Hybrid Ceramic Wax)
If it's not to expensive up there you can use Optimums Opti Seal on the outside of your windshield and all the windows. The water will bead up for a good 6 months and it will come right off when drying. It's like Rain-X but much better. It's a paint sealant but also great for glass (I use it on my shower door) and stainless appliances.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee
Sponsored

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Good question. I open both front doors and stand on the black foot steps to reach the upper part of the windshield from each side. This is a quick and easy way to clean it.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I purchased the long handled squeegee today. I tried to get a long handled snow brush, but this year’s supply does not come in until this Friday, so I will get it on the weekend.

I went all Rain x today. It is something I can get locally and it will do a decent job.

I bought the Rain‑X® Original Glass Water Repellent and the Rain‑X® 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner + Rain Repellent and some Rain-x -40° windshield Washer fluid. I was surprised that I was able to put virtually the entire container of rain-x in the reservoIr. The dealer did not put very much windshield washer fluid in the truck at the time of purchase.

Today I was suppose to get the small front letters for the Ranger and had heated up my detached garage in preparation for their arrival by mail. The outside temperature was just above freezing. I also used the last of my rubbing alcohol to prepare the surface. The letters got delayed, and now hopefully will arrive tomorrow.

I now will wait until Sunday to warm up the garage again. I need it warm, in order to clean and put the first coating of rain-x on and then also warm to put the front and tailgate letters on. The rear tailgate letters, I get on Friday, with the snow Tires/wheels and bed extender.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
You're lucky, I'm only 5'7" and I have to lug a 4' ladder around the truck like 6 times! For washing the roof, middle of the hood and the windshield. This is both for washing and then drying and even more if I'm going to speed detail it. No wonder I need a nap when I'm done. ?
Ditto!

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It rained out and I put the truck in the garage and tried the squeegee. It worked perfectly.

I then heated the garage up a little and I cleaned the windows with the Rain-x windows cleaner, then applied the rain-x Repellent. I needed a tall stool to reach by hand the center of the windshield. Being in the garage on a concrete floor, I felt comfortable with the tall stool beside the truck.

I am glad I purchased the squeegee, because I tried standing on the door sill and no way I was going to reach the center of the windshield and standing on the tire is not in my skill set.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it's not to expensive up there you can use Optimums Opti Seal on the outside of your windshield and all the windows. The water will bead up for a good 6 months and it will come right off when drying. It's like Rain-X but much better. It's a paint sealant but also great for glass (I use it on my shower door) and stainless appliances.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee
I didn’t chose the Optimums Opti Seal because the Rain-x was available locally, but also using a paint sealant sort of scared me, at least for now.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I didn’t chose the Optimums Opti Seal because the Rain-x was available locally, but also using a paint sealant sort of scared me, at least for now.
No need to worry that's what it's made for. I've been using this stuff for about 5 years. Before using their products I talked to Optimum directly and they're the ones who recommended using it on glass, plastic trim, and wheels. The chemist is the one who told me he uses it all around his house from his kitchen SS appliances to his gas grill. :)

The Rain-X is good too but just doesn't last as long. I just washed my Ranger Friday but next time I'll take a picture and show you the way it beads off the windshield. Last time I coated it was back in March.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I use the tailgate damper to... oh, wait, nevermind.
I stand on the running boards or door sills to reach the roof and windshield. With the supercab, its a little difficult to reach the middle of the back glass that way so I slowly open the tailgate, open the bed cover, climb in, remember I forgot to bring the towel or glass cleaner, climb back out, grab the supplies, climb back in and finally reach the back glass. :facepalm:

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm only 5'8 so hitting the center of the hood and the middle of the windshield is tough. For those areas and the rear window I pull out my two-step small ladder.

Dick Richie

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 5'6'' tall. I assumed everyone opened their doors and stood on the sill? I hop in the back of the truck with my chamois or micro fibre towels to catch the middle in front of the antennae. This is probably my 10th pickup. All the others were full sized Rams or F150's. On a side note I tossed on the black Ford Ranger door sill guards ordered with my Ford Pass points from my local dealer in Houston.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had mentioned I put Rain-X Water Repellent Hydrofuge on the windshield and other windows, as well as Rain-X cleaner and repellent.

We are having a late summer at the moment. I had put away all of my home truck washing materials, but brought them out today to wash the truck, as it was a gorgeous day.

When it came time to dry the windshield, I directed my leaf blower on it. Prior to the Rain-X, the water adhered to the windshield making it all but impossible to totally blow off.

Today the water blew off like feathers off of a table. It was unbelievable. It blew off the truck better as well, so my waxes and detail spray are also working. I actually did not have to use any of my main drying towels, and just used my polish cloths with the detail spray to finish it off.

2F075EF5-8B39-4200-905A-A894AE6F6543.jpeg

F0C4FC52-346A-49B3-BCD7-711FBB704912.jpeg

941242DE-CE16-4A13-9533-DF826319C986.png

84E2DEA4-DB32-4D23-9968-A83717C429FE.jpeg

Last edited:

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
I had mentioned I put Rain-X Water Repellent Hydrofuge on the windshield and other windows, as well as Rain-X cleaner and repellent.

We are having a late summer at the moment. I had put away all of my home truck washing materials, but brought them out today to wash the truck, as it was a gorgeous day.

When it came time to dry the windshield, I directed my leaf blower on it. Prior to the Rain-X, the water adhered to the windshield making it all but impossible to totally blow off.

Today the water blew off like feathers off of a table. It was unbelievable. It blew off the truck better as well, so my waxes and detail spray are also working. I actually did not have to use any of my main drying towels, and just used my polish cloths with the detail spray to finish it off.

2F075EF5-8B39-4200-905A-A894AE6F6543.jpeg

F0C4FC52-346A-49B3-BCD7-711FBB704912.jpeg

941242DE-CE16-4A13-9533-DF826319C986.png

84E2DEA4-DB32-4D23-9968-A83717C429FE.jpeg
Looks really good Gary :like:

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Tailgate dampner! Use it in conjunction with the running boards or the door sill.

Ranger Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager
Here’s one more tip that has worked well for me: i like to use Stoners “Invisible glass” and have specific microfiber towels (that are used for nothing else except glass - and never see fabric softener when I clean them). Always clean the inside from right to left, and always clean the outside from top to bottom - that way, if you check your work in the sunshine and see a streak - you will automatically know what side of the glass it’s on!
Hope this helps

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
Electric leaf blower. I never dry the paint of any of my vehicles by rubbing things on them...
Sponsored