How much plastic is in your Ranger's body?

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
I installed the genuine Ford molded splash guards, F&R. Simple enough. They use existing body screws and provided clips. But when the instructions told me to drill 1/8" holes into the wheel well trims for screws and retainers, I said NO WAY! I'm installing these to prevent rust, not cause it.

Then I placed a magnet on the trims. Plastic. Then the front fenders and hood. Plastic. I've no problem with plastic body parts. Obviously I couldn't see the difference. My alma mater, Deere has been using sheet molded compounds for tractor bodies for nearly 35 yrs. And my insurance doesn't seem to care. My Ranger costs less than our 13 yr old Sebring.

I understand why the box is metal. Too bad they can't figure out a way to make a rigid box with SMC. I've yet to see a 10 yr old P/U in Iowa that isn't rusting above the rear wheels.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the genuine Ford molded splash guards, F&R. Simple enough. They use existing body screws and provided clips. But when the instructions told me to drill 1/8" holes into the wheel well trims for screws and retainers, I said NO WAY! I'm installing these to prevent rust, not cause it.

Then I placed a magnet on the trims. Plastic. Then the front fenders and hood. Plastic. I've no problem with plastic body parts. Obviously I couldn't see the difference. My alma mater, Deere has been using sheet molded compounds for tractor bodies for nearly 35 yrs. And my insurance doesn't seem to care. My Ranger costs less than our 13 yr old Sebring.

I understand why the box is metal. Too bad they can't figure out a way to make a rigid box with SMC. I've yet to see a 10 yr old P/U in Iowa that isn't rusting above the rear wheels.
I thought the box was aluminum?

OP
OP

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought the box was aluminum?
I just took the magnet to the garage. The inside of the box is magnetic.
Tail gate is not magnetic.
Thinking I should back off on the plastic theory. The tail gate, hood and front fenders sure sound like metal. Maybe these panels are aluminum.

OP
OP

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fenders, hood and tailgate are a heavy gauge aluminum
Thanks, I just figured that out.
I didn't realize mfgs. figured out how to get a good paint job on aluminum.

Anyway, I'm going to drill my splash guard holes.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

You'll be fine...every Ranger with splash guards has holes drilled into them including mine:)

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Between 2001to 2010 the Explorer Sport Trac was sold with a plastic composite material box.

Sport Trac Image

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer

The entire F-150 body and bed is aluminum and has been for quite a few years. There is no magic to painting aluminum, they have been painting aircraft for 75 or more years.

I was somewhat disappointed that the Ranger did not follow suit and have an entire aluminum body and bed.

FWIW, anytime I drill holes in a vehicle to mount something I either put RTV on the threads of the fastener before running it in or I touch up the hole with paint.

Tcarter

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercab
Occupation
Retired
I just took the magnet to the garage. The inside of the box is magnetic.
Tail gate is not magnetic.
Thinking I should back off on the plastic theory. The tail gate, hood and front fenders sure sound like metal. Maybe these panels are aluminum.
They are indeed aluminum. I was in an accident with an older lady that drifted into my lane before I could react. She lied and claimed I hit her. No witnesses and my insurance skyrocketed. I digress. When I had the minor damage to the front left fender and bumper repaired, Ford no longer made aluminum fenders. So I have one aluminum and 1 steel fender which is bs. I have two dents, one on the front fender and 1 on the left front side of the bed where somone hit it in a parking lot. I try to park well away from crowded parking but still was gumped by inconsiderate drivers. What I want to know is what type of plastic is used on the front panel just above the bumper. The pos front license plate I used for a Van Halen plate was tapped somehow and gouged the plastic panel. I plan to use JB Weld putty to tape, fill and sand before using touchup paint but can't find out the type of plastic used as the product doesn't work on some plastics (polypropylene and polyethylene). Unfortunately, I have a tricoat Rapid Red Ranger and the touch up paint that has the primer, midcoat, topcoat and clearcoat is pricey. Does anyone know the plastic type used on the front panel just above the bumper between the grill and bumper? I really miss the cars of old that were all steel. Aluminum can't be repaired like steel. If aluminum gets a major dent, the paintless dent process can't be fixed. It has to be replaced. Thx for any info you can provide in regards to the plastic type of the said panel. I miss my 95 Splash which I traded. I have posted other issues with battery and tranny issues. Newer vehicles quality has been destroyed by government mandates. With the technology of today, we should have bullet proof vehicles. I also think it's like other modern products. Built in obsolescence for repair profits.

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
make sure your screws are not going to rust
Sponsored