Fuel in oil

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I got my oil analysis back from blackstone and I have 2.8 fuel dilution at 3,803 miles on the oil. I also have high silicon, aluminum and potassium.

should I be worried about those elevated levels?
Nah, I don't think that's anything to worry about. (IMHO)

here is my report.
Don't forget to enter your poll results.

My dealership told me that Ford has sent out a notice to the dealerships that they will no longer consider oil sample analysis for fuel dilution issues for any of the Ford DI engines. Ford is claiming that fuel dilution is normal in their DI engines.
That's unfortunate to hear. I suspect you can thank Jim Farley directly for that. It's his goal to lower warranty costs, and if that means shitting on the people that really need it, he apparently will do so. You can almost bet 100% he had a say in this. What's keeping you from lawyering up at this point?
Sponsored

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Nah, I don't think that's anything to worry about. (IMHO)

Don't forget to enter your poll results.

That's unfortunate to hear. I suspect you can thank Jim Farley directly for that. It's his goal to lower warranty costs, and if that means shitting on the people that really need it, he apparently will do so. You can almost bet 100% he had a say in this. What's keeping you from lawyering up at this point?
Well, I just got home from having the truck in for the 14th time. It did not go well. The dealership told me they were unable to reproduce the "stalling" situation after taking the truck out on 2 separate test drives. That sounded plausible, as it has only done it 4 times over the past 1000 miles or so. They recorded (pictures) the high oil level on the dipstick to give to Ford in order for Ford to authorize any more warranty work on the truck. They have already been told by Ford, that Ford will not authorize any more work related to fuel dilution, as it is an inherent condition of all of the Ford DI engines and has been determined not to be harmful to the engine. In my case. we're not talking about a little fuel dilution, 3 oil samples, taken by my dealership, were all double digit fuel contamination, in as little as 500 miles. Two other oil samples were taken, but Ford will not allow them to be shared with me. The earlier samples are posted somewhere in this thread. Anyway, the dealership told me they will pursue the issue based on the high crankcase oil levels and will also pursue the "stalling" issue separately, although they may be related . I told them, I just picked up a dash cam, so when it happens again, I can have a recording, hopefully without anyone getting hurt or killed. They said they would keep me up on the progress with Ford. This all sounded plausible and I thanked them and got in my truck to head home and that is when all hell broke loose.

I started very early on recording each of my visits to the dealer, taking pictures of the odometer while in the dealership drop off bay as well as when I picked up the truck. So what happened was, when I got in the truck to leave, I went to take a pic of my odometer and I noticed there was only .6 miles put on the truck since when I dropped it off. I may have raised my voice a couple times, voicing my displeasure, as I was just told, a few minutes earlier, that they could not reproduce the issue during 2 test drives? 2 test drives that totaled a whopping 6/10s of one mile? The manager came out and hurried me into his office, as there were plenty of other customers waiting to pick up their own vehicles, many of which who were standing in line right behind me when I was being fed a boat load of bullshit. In the end, they blamed it on the technician, who would be disciplined for falsifying the work he had done. The dealership told me that if Ford does not approve anymore work on my truck, that I need to lawyer up. Ford Customer Service also recommended that I should contact the BBB. Geesh, is this what Ford has become?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
In the end, they blamed it on the technician, who would be disciplined for falsifying the work he had done.
1) Sure they have a scapegoat, but what else has this dealership falsified? Supposed oil analyses that they won't produce the results on? Claims about Ford no longer will authorize work on fuel dilution? Replacing any of the components of your truck that they claim to have replaced?
2) You have documented evidence that this dealership has falsified warranty claims for Ford. This needs to be reported to Ford corporate.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
@MotoWojo thanks for keeping us up to date. The stalling issue sounds scary as hell.

Is your truck factory stock or have you done/had modifications done?
Factory stock except for aftermarket wheels and tires, no lift.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
@MotoWojo it's time. Ford Corporate isn't going to help you. You've got to act on your own to protect your interests.

https://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/motor-vehicle-defects/wisconsin
Unfortunately, that’s going to cost your more than you are likely to recover. It sounds like you don‘t have a legal lemon law claim and technically you have not incurred any actual damages to recover. Your damages are speculative at this point. You may have to drive it until it breaks and then make your claim. Of course, it may not break.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Factory stock except for aftermarket wheels and tires, no lift.
Carvana might be good option. Life is to short to have to deal with this kind of shit.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Well, I just got home from having the truck in for the 14th time. It did not go well. The dealership told me they were unable to reproduce the "stalling" situation after taking the truck out on 2 separate test drives. That sounded plausible, as it has only done it 4 times over the past 1000 miles or so. They recorded (pictures) the high oil level on the dipstick to give to Ford in order for Ford to authorize any more warranty work on the truck. They have already been told by Ford, that Ford will not authorize any more work related to fuel dilution, as it is an inherent condition of all of the Ford DI engines and has been determined not to be harmful to the engine. In my case. we're not talking about a little fuel dilution, 3 oil samples, taken by my dealership, were all double digit fuel contamination, in as little as 500 miles. Two other oil samples were taken, but Ford will not allow them to be shared with me. The earlier samples are posted somewhere in this thread. Anyway, the dealership told me they will pursue the issue based on the high crankcase oil levels and will also pursue the "stalling" issue separately, although they may be related . I told them, I just picked up a dash cam, so when it happens again, I can have a recording, hopefully without anyone getting hurt or killed. They said they would keep me up on the progress with Ford. This all sounded plausible and I thanked them and got in my truck to head home and that is when all hell broke loose.

I started very early on recording each of my visits to the dealer, taking pictures of the odometer while in the dealership drop off bay as well as when I picked up the truck. So what happened was, when I got in the truck to leave, I went to take a pic of my odometer and I noticed there was only .6 miles put on the truck since when I dropped it off. I may have raised my voice a couple times, voicing my displeasure, as I was just told, a few minutes earlier, that they could not reproduce the issue during 2 test drives? 2 test drives that totaled a whopping 6/10s of one mile? The manager came out and hurried me into his office, as there were plenty of other customers waiting to pick up their own vehicles, many of which who were standing in line right behind me when I was being fed a boat load of bullshit. In the end, they blamed it on the technician, who would be disciplined for falsifying the work he had done. The dealership told me that if Ford does not approve anymore work on my truck, that I need to lawyer up. Ford Customer Service also recommended that I should contact the BBB. Geesh, is this what Ford has become?
I am not sure what your lemon laws are in WI, but here in ca one if the things to make it qualify as a lemon is being in the shop for a cumulative total of 30 days since you took possession. Another is any safety issue. A vehicle stalling at a bad time is a serious safety issue.

It might be different where you are, but the California lemon law statue requires the manufacturer to pay for your legal fees if your vehicle is deemed a lemon. This is separate from any settlement you receive, so a lawyer is completely free. They dont get paid unless they win, if they dont think they will win they wont take your case.

Point being, it may not cost you a dime to get a lawyer. Check into it.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired

55F100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST

Yikes! If that really is Ford's official position on excessive fuel dilution (and not some dealer BS) I'll never buy another car from them...having dealt with the issue as a diesel generator tech it is NOT normal and is a serious problem.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I got my report from blackstone off their site today. I do 5K change intervals but this one is 4,500 because I was leaving on a trip an did it a little early.

Recap: I checked the oil for the first time at 1,200 miles an it was above the second hole. Took it to the dealership, they checked it out an corrected the level. I kept an eye on it an it went up slightly. I did the first oil an filter change at 3,400. I keep an eye on it an don't notice any problems an the report seems to support that.

Fuel oil level was 1.5% I'm relieved.

I just wish Ford would replace the complete motors for you few guys having nightmare levels.

Screenshot (928).png

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
I'm new here. I recently just bought the 2021 Ranger velocity blue 4x4. I noticed people were having issues with the gas in the oil, I thought maybe it was a 2019 problem but I checked mine and mine smells like gas too. So I'm a little concerned. But I bought certified preowned with 1499 miles on it so it came with extended warranty. So at least I'm covered if it develop issues. Now I'm kinda wondering if the last person sold it because of that lol. Overall, I love the truck.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
with 1,500 miles I wouldn't worry about it. I'm a believer in break in miles. Change the oil at 3K. I just got a good oil analysis on mine at 18K an I had the odor an high oil level on the initial oil. The reason I say 3K is to give the rings a chance to seat an seal. I've seen people do it at 500 or 1K but to me that's too early to switch to a full synthetic, not giving the rings time to seat.
Sponsored