Fuel in oil

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Well add another to the list. 1800 miles on the truck.

Was told this was normal by the dealer?

Asked to see any documentation starting the oil level above top hole was a normal operating level.

They then told me to bring it in Saturday morning to do their oil change and seal her up for a 1k run and check it again.

PXL_20210322_145154829.PORTRAIT (1).jpg
Update about 600 miles in my 1000 run

Picture1.png

The mark is the level at the oil change 600 miles ago just a tad bit over 1/2 way to full now..

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I would like to know where the oil measures on the dipstick immediately after an oil change. I seem to recall that someone posted that somewhere and that 6.2 quarts measures slightly above the hashmarks on the dipstick. Anybody know?
Yeah about an eighth of an inch over hash marks if the 6.2 quarts are added!! I do not worry about the .2 part having fuel dilution, I put in 6 quarts.

Last edited:

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Yeah about an eighth of an inch over hash marks if the 6.2 quarts are added!! I do not worry about the .2 part having fuel dilution, I put in 6 quarts.
Are most people adding 6.2, or is there an issue with doing eg 6 to be safe?

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Are most people adding 6.2, or is there an issue with doing eg 6 to be safe?
If your going up to the top hole from the top of the hash mark in a few hundred miles I really don't think 5 or 6 less ounces of oil is going to matter. Just going to bring the level up more!

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
There will always be some amount oil left remaining inside the engine after it is drained for an oil change. I plan to just add the 6 quarts and not worry about the extra .2 quart. If it looks like it really needs it when I check later then I will add the .2.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I sent a sample off to Blackstone 4/6/21. I've been running 5/40 for 3100 miles now. I'll let you guys know what the test results are when I get them!
I considered this as well. I got 5 qts of 5/40 sitting here. Keep us updated.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
Mine was that bad before the HPFP change but that improved it quite a bit. But did not fix the problem, I've been trying to improve it further. It seems like the change to 5/40 has helped also, now I've been staying right around the top hole. Before the 5/40 oil change I was going about a quarter to five eights over the top hole. A few guys have said the 5/40 wouldn't help with the rising level but it seems it helped mine!!
Not saying you're wrong Jim, but my current experience is that my level was steady for a few hundred miles after the second repair (#4 injector), then climbed a solid 1/4" or so, but has since stabilized for now anyway. Before that it seemed to stabilize once it got to about halfway between top hole and twist. All of my oil changes have been done by the dealer. The one that tells me they aren't really putting 5w20 in, regardless what the paperwork says. My advisor wants me to believe that they have a competent oil tech. \_(ツ)_/¯
My question is: have people tried checking oil after sitting longer than 15 minutes, eg after a day or few days?
Not in my experience, but I've not turned it into a science project.

Last edited:

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
Not saying you're wrong Jim, but my current experience is that my level was steady for a few hundred miles after the second repair (#4 injector), then climbed a solid 1/4" or so, but has since stabilized for now anyway. Before that it seemed to stabilize once it got to about halfway between top hole and twist. All of my oil changes have been done by the dealer. The one that tells me they aren't really putting 10w20 in, regardless what the paperwork says. My advisor wants me to believe that they have a competent oil tech. \_(ツ)_/¯

You are not alone last oil change at the dealer paper work showed 5w20. When questioned they said it was just accounting making a typo. I don't think anyone can tell the difference between 5w20 or 5w30 by looking at it, if it is indeed 5w20 I might see a slight gain in mpg not going to waste my time checking. I have enough ford points for 1 more oil change and tire rotation then I won't have to worry about someone else messing up oil viscosity. By the way for those contemplating 5w40 because of fuel dilution I would run 10w40 just my opinion.

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer
I may have missed good info as I have only read about the first 15 pages and then skipped to page 107 and read to the end.
Just too much reading, been doing lots already.
Just wondering what everyone thought were on this issue if it's a continuing issue on even the 21 model Rangers or is it just an issue on the first year or two of the Rangers?
Looking to buy a new ranger this week,
Thanks.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I may have missed good info as I have only read about the first 15 pages and then skipped to page 107 and read to the end.
Just too much reading, been doing lots already.
Just wondering what everyone thought were on this issue if it's a continuing issue on even the 21 model Rangers or is it just an issue on the first year or two of the Rangers?
Looking to buy a new ranger this week,
Thanks.
Seems to be random for the most part. I find with mine short drives multiple times without a highway drive for a 100 miles or more seems to contribute to it. Cold weather I think plays into to it too. It is random for sure though. I look at it this way, no one has reported a blown motor or had failures directly related to it that I have heard or read.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Not saying you're wrong Jim, but my current experience is that my level was steady for a few hundred miles after the second repair (#4 injector), then climbed a solid 1/4" or so, but has since stabilized for now anyway. Before that it seemed to stabilize once it got to about halfway between top hole and twist. All of my oil changes have been done by the dealer. The one that tells me they aren't really putting 5w20 in, regardless what the paperwork says. My advisor wants me to believe that they have a competent oil tech. \_(ツ)_/¯

You have to do what you can to try to make things improve when you have limited help from the manufacturer!!!

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Well, I will be making my third trip to the dealer this coming week. My complaint simply started with 4.3% fuel dilution (Blackstone first change at 860 miles) and now (3500 miles) the oil level is about 1/4” below the twist! They said to bring it in and they will perform an “oil consumption test”. I’m obviously not consuming oil with an above full level on the dipstick, but we will see.
For my first two visits and complaints(Customer and Warranty Complaints), they said everything working per normal and no repairs needed.??

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I did my first oil change at around 3300 miles an the gas smell went away. I haven't gotten an official lab report though