Fuel in oil

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Increased crankcase level above the max level...
Unless the "max" mark is located such that it takes into account the possibility of up X% increase due to fuel. Question is then what is "X"?
...fuel dilution changes the oil viscosity...
Unless that decrease in viscosity is anticipated and still stays within the tolerances of the engine. Question is then what are the tolerances of the engine?

These aren't references, they're ideas for potential issues. I agree, I'm concerned about these effects of fuel dilution causing actual issues. What I'm hoping to figure out is at what point do the detrimental effects become issues?
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
You are missing my point I'm talking about raw fuel contamination that increases the crankcase level. I agree that blow by contaniments get trapped in the oil hence the need to change oil periodically
Our ongoing discussion was based on your post, where you stated, twice, that your Buick never had any fuel dilution. My point, ad nauseam,, is that is an incorrect statement.

I never had fuel dilution in my 2011 DI 2.4 buick had 40k on it when I traded it in. I did my oil changes never ever had increased level in oil never any fuel dilution
We're in agreement that raw fuel contamination is the "problem" some folks are having with their Rangers. The question is... what is causing it.

Last edited:

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
Our ongoing discussion was based on your post, where you stated, twice, that your Buick never had any fuel dilution. My point, ad nauseam,, is that is an incorrect statement.

We're in agreement that raw fuel contamination is the "problem" some folks are having with their Rangers. The question is... what is causing it.
My bad I should have been more specific. Lets try this the oil never smelt like gas and consequently the oil level never increased.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I almost have 5k since my last oil change, for curiosity sake i want to get a blackstone analysis now. I had smelled my dipstick the other day and it was slightly over the max and smelled kind of like fuel.

Reactions: Doc

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Quick update. I have 450 miles since the HPFP and injectors were changed. during the first 300 miles, the oil level rose about a 1/4in to just at the bottom edge of the max hole. The past 150 miles it has been holding steady there. I am hoping it stays that way but I am still worried that it might be because it has been much warmer here lately (hot). I will update if anything develops further or not.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Quick update. I have 450 miles since the HPFP and injectors were changed. during the first 300 miles, the oil level rose about a 1/4in to just at the bottom edge of the max hole. The past 150 miles it has been holding steady there. I am hoping it stays that way but I am still worried that it might be because it has been much warmer here lately (hot). I will update if anything develops further or not.
I think there's a pattern starting here . I have about 600 miles since HPFP change, same thing for me oil level rose to just under the upper hole the first few hundred miles. It has stayed at that level for about 300 miles now. Hoping when the oil is changed there will be little or no rise in the oil level.

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I think there's a pattern starting here . I have about 600 miles since HPFP change, same thing for me oil level rose to just under the upper hole the first few hundred miles. It has stayed at that level for about 300 miles now. Hoping when the oil is changed there will be little or no rise in the oil level.
Same results for me. Except i went obout 200 miles with no change then went up to top hole and staying there so far. Will check again this weekend.

Reactions: Doc

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Is there a pattern of people who drive "carefully and with a light foot" experiencing fuel dilution, and people who "drive with copious amounts of skinny pedal" aren't?

I haven't noticed very much fuel smell in the oil, the level stays roughly the same, if not goes down a tiny bit over the 7500 mile change interval I've settled to.

My theory is that the people experiencing this don't get their engine oil hot enough to burn off the excess fuel, so it just stacks up. This engine has a big ol' oil cooler, so it takes a lot of load to get the hot enough for fuel to burn off.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Is there a pattern of people who drive "carefully and with a light foot" experiencing fuel dilution, and people who "drive with copious amounts of skinny pedal" aren't?

I haven't noticed very much fuel smell in the oil, the level stays roughly the same, if not goes down a tiny bit over the 7500 mile change interval I've settled to.

My theory is that the people experiencing this don't get their engine oil hot enough to burn off the excess fuel, so it just stacks up. This engine has a big ol' oil cooler, so it takes a lot of load to get the hot enough for fuel to burn off.
It's interesting. Not claiming causation here at all but I've done 2 things in the last 1k miles: driven more instead of truck sitting in garage and flashed a performance tune.

I don't smell gas at the front of the truck after pulling in the garage anymore. I'll have to check the oil level and report back after I do the next oil change to see if that stays consistent.
To answer your question, even with the performance tune I drive like a grandma most of the time although getting on the freeway feels like going to the moon now ?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

I wondered the same thing.... some long haulers have the oil increasing issue too.

I'm curious if the issue may be from a lot of short drives such that the engine doesn't have sufficient time to get up to temperature and thus does not burn off the excess fuel?

I'm not saying there isn't an issue.. just trying to drill down and see if there is some common thread between the folks that are having these issues.

What's a typical day / week like for weasel1's Ranger?
That oil is a really odd color. Last time I saw that color I was looking at transmission fluid!

Well, I drive my truck home from the dealer and then back to the dealer (my parents live really close to them) and then home again. Next day, I went on that long (ish) drive. 30 minutes at highway speed, let it idle for 15 (picking up stuff from Grandma's) and then home. Left it until today (so it sat 2 days) and checked it again. Damn oil is back perfectly at the top of the hatch marks. Will have to monitor some more.
......For those interested, I just turned over 14,000 miles and have been running Mobil 1 since my first oil change at 4,000 miles. Almost all trips with the truck have been at least 25 miles one way and I never use the start/stop feature. Truck is stock and the fuel in oil problem only started within the last month. Drained well over 7.5 qts during the last oil change 2 weeks ago and the level on the dipstick is approaching similar height. Truck drives well and I have had no other issues. I am hoping the dealer doesn't brush me off as others have apparently been.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

I've had this thought, and I do generally drive pretty conservatively with a light foot. One of the big differences between the 2.3 setup in our engines and in the Mustang/focus is that we have a much more robust cooling system, as you stated. That is the reason why the Honda CR-V has a serious fuel dilution problem across the board, the engine just never really gets up to operating temperature. That is reflected in their gauge though, and I haven't noticed that in mine.

The only thing that really bucks the trend for me is that I do a decent amount of towing, and you would think that would make up for my light foot.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
If it's not reasonably heavy towing, the 47 gears in the 10R80 will keep the engine from working too heavily, could still be the reason if your trailer isn't very big.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
If it's not reasonably heavy towing, the 47 gears in the 10R80 will keep the engine from working too heavily, could still be the reason if your trailer isn't very big.
It's a pretty big trailer for a small truck like the ranger. I've definitely maxed out the legal towing capacity on this truck, but I'll add that it still goes like a champ! I'm sure it could pull a lot more with a longer wheelbase.

Harley_Mane

First Name
Diamante
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'm not sure if it's related or not, but I would fill a catch can every 500 miles with what seemed like unburt fuel. I changed the exhaust and switched to Rotella and barely get anything now. Either the can stopped working, or something else happened. I'm not smelling fuel in the oil either.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I'm not sure if it's related or not, but I would fill a catch can every 500 miles with what seemed like unburt fuel. I changed the exhaust and switched to Rotella and barely get anything now. Either the can stopped working, or something else happened. I'm not smelling fuel in the oil either.
What exhaust did you switch too? I'll have to try using rotella. That is exactly how I first discovered there was a problem, my catch can was filling up with raw fuel. It can't come from anywhere but the crankcase, clearly indicating the oil was contaminated by a very large amount of fuel.
Sponsored