Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Got almost 1200 miles on mine. Check the level at 500 miles and was just above the hash marks on the stick but below the top hole. Also it smelled like fuel. I was getting ready to do the first oil change this weekend (to get the brake in oil out)and checked the oil last night and it was almost to where the twist starts on the stick, I checked it again before leaving work today(after setting for 5 hour) and it checked the same as last night. So decided to stop by dealership And have them check it. I have to go back after lunch and see what they have to say. He wanted it to set for a hour on level ground before the tech checks it. I thought it would be best to get it documented now with the dealer then doing a oil change and waiting till 5000 mile oil change to say something. I hope they at least acknowledge there is a issue.

Update:. They did acknowledge it was overfull, but said it didn't smell like fuel. Change the oil and documented the level and said keep a eye on it and if it starts going up again to bring it back and would go from there. Guess that's a start.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Update:. They did acknowledge it was overfull, but said it didn't smell like fuel. Change the oil and documented the level and said keep a eye on it and if it starts going up again to bring it back and would go from there. Guess that's a start.
Suggestion: Take a photo of the oil on the dipstick now... and as you check it each time in the future take a photo.

That will document the increase.

Good luck.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Time to pull the plugs and start taking a baseline of the cylinder compressions. That much fuel in the oil surprised yall haven't went BOOM yet. Plot the compression at each oil change and you'll get your answer and proof for Ford. Hell it wouldn't hurt, your already high and dizzy from smelling the oil for gas. Taking a butt load of photos and spending a ton on oil analysis that Ford will toss out anyway wont cut it. It really sounds like yall have some really Sh@tty dealerships. They must get an Engineer involved, but yet to hear anyone of you that have this issue press the problem with Ford. Again it took me three dealerships before Ford sent an engineer for my new 03gt that had bucking issues under light acceleration. Turned out to be a mass air that was intermittent that the crappy techs missed at each of those dealerships. Go speak to an attorney and file for a lemon claim. You'll have to follow that to a T to get any where with Ford. It only took me three trips to three different dealerships and an attorney and presto magico and Enginer appeared. When that happens then come back to this post and update us on those results. Following this thread since day one, Noooo one has posted any parts change or significant work performed by any dealer other than analysis, marking the oil levels, sniffing, or conjecture of what it could be. Yes, we all have heard the fuel pump theory so there's that, but not from Ford. Okay... I feel better now. Let's go work hard and press Ford for your FIX... Ready.... Break.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I think you can add me to the list. I changed the oil a little while ago (still had 40% remaining on the oil life monitor) and was careful to top off correctly. Not my first oil change. Checked it today and it's definitely overfull (well past the top dot) and had a slight gas smell. Going to take it for a good drive next week and check again. Fack. This is the last thing I need right now.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I think you can add me to the list. I changed the oil a little while ago (still had 40% remaining on the oil life monitor) and was careful to top off correctly. Not my first oil change. Checked it today and it's definitely overfull (well past the top dot) and had a slight gas smell. Going to take it for a good drive next week and check again. Fack. This is the last thing I need right now.
I'm curious if the issue may be from a lot of short drives such that the engine doesn't have sufficient time to get up to temperature and thus does not burn off the excess fuel?

I'm not saying there isn't an issue.. just trying to drill down and see if there is some common thread between the folks that are having these issues.

What's a typical day / week like for weasel1's Ranger?

Last edited:

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I'm curious if the issue may be from a lot of short drives such that the engine doesn't have sufficient time to get up to temperature and thus does not burn off the excess fuel?

I'm not saying there isn't an issue.. just trying to drill down and see if there is some common thread between the folks that are having these issues.

What's a typical day / week like for weasell's Ranger?
Wife's work was about 20 minute drive 5 days a week, so ya, short trips. I know everytime I'm in it, I disable the ASS. We typically use the auto start to warm things up for a few minutes and then we're on our way.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Wife's work was about 20 minute drive 5 days a week, so ya, short trips. I know everytime I'm in it, I disable the ASS. We typically use the auto start to warm things up for a few minutes and then we're on our way.
Any chance you could pull the dipstick, take a picture, put the dipstick back and then do a 1 hour highway trip with the truck on cruise control? (and keep your foot out of it to minimize boost) Then let the engine cool down, pull the dipstick, take a picture, and then compare the two photo's?

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Don't have anything like that planned in the near future, but if I do, I'll report back here. Sounds like a solid plan to see if there is any correlation between short/long trips.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Forgive me for saying this but for the ones who don't know. When you pull the dipstick out always wipe off the oil. The first reading will be inaccurate as oil will creep up the stick from normal operation. Place the stick back in count to 30 and pull it back out for the most accurate reading. You will be surprised how many people check the oil without doing this. Best to check the fill level when cold as this will provide a more accurate level. The oil has had time to properly drain back down from the head and back into the pan. Again just info for the most novice and most inexperienced people who check their oil. Hope this helps, bawaaaaa

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well this sucks, when this thread was first started, I checked mine without any issue, oil level was fine and looked good. I changed my oil last, back in January, about 3400 miles since then and I have checked the oil level several times without issue. I realized I hadn't checked the level in a few weeks and I just checked it and it is up to the twist, well above the top hole and reeks of gasoline. I drive 50mi round trip to work and I have been using the "nightlite" method for keeping the auto start/stop disengaged. The truck has been sitting in my garage since I parked it on Friday, so the oil is pretty settled. Oil looks very thin and more reddish brown than I have seen, I am running Mobil 1 oil. My truck is nearing 14000mi on the odometer. This sucks.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I agree with that. It's been 1200 miles since I had mine in an they corrected the oil level. It hasn't gone up any. In my case I'm hoping it was just the overfill an ring break in

Reactions: Doc

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
For those like me that are having this problem, Better be changing this oil at 3000 miles...
Regards
Yes, I will be picking up oil on my way home from work tomorrow and changing it when I get home. Definitely something going on here, hopefully I can mange it until I get a chance to take it in to get looked at.

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have had this problem early on and like others, thought it was due to break-in time, excessive cold starts during the manufacturing/shipping/ dealer lot processes, etc. I am a oil level check purest and check mine often. During one of my morning oil level checks, I found the level up on the twisty portion on the stick and reeking of raw fuel. I removed over a quart of oil using a vacuum suction tank. I had the oil changed by the dealer early, 4000 mile range and started to really monitor levels. I returned to dealer with the oil level complaint and all they did was change oil again and mark the dipstick and seal the oil fill cap as if I was going to add oil. No one at the dealership could explain the markings on the dipstick as the just drain and fill with prescribed amount! I still haven't found a reasonable explanation for the holes and hatch marks.
All this said, I still monitor oil and photograph levels, and while it has risen slightly, not as much as before. This leads me to think that this problem is a common one for this engine in Rangers, it may also be an intermittent one. A leaking injector or injectors could leak off pressure into combustion chamber during could be the long sit times and seep past the piston rings, adding raw fuel to the crankcase without a detectable rich start. The other possibility is the High Pressure Fuel Pump leaking pressure during stops into crankcase. Neither of these scenarios would trigger a "Check Engine" light, but could damage the engine in the long run either by oil viscosity or overfilled condition.
Ford will eventually find the problem and correct it via a bulletin, until then keep supplying them with data and complaints, have them warranty oil changes and document the problem, let them foot the bill for additional oil changes.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Most people would hide this in a dark corner, but I had a revelation reading through this thread again yesterday. I saw the magic number of 6.2. "Oh shit". I went to the garage and checked the oil jugs I used. I apparently added a full EXTRA quart! I swear I gave it enough time to settle while topping off after the last oil change. Obviously not. I've never had oil hang up in the top end like this before. I guess I'll have to have an extra beer handy while changing the oil, waiting for the oil to settle before adding. Weather sucks right now, but I guess tomorrow's job is to try out my Fumoto valve and draw off some oil. FFS, I can't believe I did that ?
Sponsored