Fuel in oil

Da Ranger

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
No that’s what they pulled that was extra. But you figure if it is 2 ounces in 1.5k, and the first time it was 1/2 a quart in 5k, it could possibly be a whole quart in the 10k recommendation.
Sponsored

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
Sorry for the crappy picture of a printout but this is the back and forth between the tech and Ford on my Ranger. They basically concluded it was fine and reasonable and that it was "doing its job" since I have no drive-ability concerns. So me being me said "F" it im just gonna send it. Filled up with 93 octane and re flashed my 93 octane tune from Torrie @ Unleashed and im just going to keep an eye on the oil level and go to 3-4k mile intervals on the oil changes.

RANGER REPORT.jpg
So I dont see any mention of high pressure fuel pump leakage, They pretty much isolated the problem to the fuel pump since all the other tests were okay.

fordman89

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCab, 2014 Ford Mustang GT
As an update: got my Blackstone results back. Fuel dilution was slightly high, 2.8 compared to the 2.0 or less baseline. All else checked out good. When they drained the oil at the dealer for the oil change, they drained a little over 6 quarts (spec is 6.2, so not too concerning). Blackstone said to keep an eye on it, but didn't really throw up any red flags. The report said the slightly higher fuel dillution could be due to short distance trips and or idling a lot, especially in cold weather. Not too many short trips, but I do take advantage of remote start, especially on cold mornings/days. For reference, I had 5,000 miles on the oil, 10,700 on the truck. I'm still under 1,000 since the oil change and have noticed no increase in oil level, but will continue to watch it.

Hot Pepper Red Zeppelin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I finally decided to check out this thread. I read all 25 pages. Yikes. Here's my data.

Truck has a little over 8000 miles on it.
Engine build date is Mar 27 19
Truck build date is Apr 4 19
On original oil
Never checked oil until last night
Level is about 1/8" below the max hole (checked multiple times)
Smells a little of gas I guess but not excessively so

I was a little anxious after reading the thread but I seem to be good on this. A well worded poll might be a good idea. Seems pretty isolated?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
a little update.....not much of one....Took my ranger in to the dealership today. They looked it over an couldn't find any problems other than it was 1.5 qts overfilled! I drove it home an checked the oil an it didn't have the strong gas smell like before, but did have a faint smell of it....they didn't change the oil just corrected the level. Could too much oil have caused some of this? Too much oil to boil the contamination out or something? I might change the oil myself an use the motorcraft syn blend an after another 5K or so switch to full syn

Reactions: Doc

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
You had 2400 miles on your ranger when you noticed the over fill and gas smell. I would bet the dealer changed your oil so I would keep close eye on crankcase level. Check it after an additional 1k miles and see if the level has increased. Good luck

Reactions: Doc

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I noticed it was overfilled around 1200 but couldn't get in to the dealership until I could get a day off during the week. It wasn't dirty but it wasn't clear like it was new either. They might have have drained a few out an added quart or two of clean fresh oil. That would explain the reduction of gas smell. I'm not clueless on engines I know what fresh oil looks like. Leaving the filter on an that oil mixing in might have been enough to darken it up I guess.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks for the info. Im thinking the stop/start feature contributes to the fuel in the oil. Just a hunch, but when mine stops even after the restart feels like it kinda flooded acting for about a block and doesn't do that when i have it shut off. Going to change the oil at 1000 mile and keep the feature off and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again for the info.
I always have the start stop feature deactivated, and 99% of my driving is highway anyway. But that was definitely a thought I had as well.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I've noticed a lot of people who got the Blackstone test done showed 2.8% fuel dilution. Is that the max that their testing will register or something? I can't imagine that the odds of everyone getting that exact same number are very high...
The amsoil test maxes out at 5%, which is what I was getting, but the viscosity is a better measure of how bad it really is. In my case the true fuel dilution is around 10% after every 2000 miles.

I just got here to my new duty station, and was supposed to quick turn into a TDY (no longer happening thanks to the coronavirus....), so I went ahead and had my oil changed at a shop for the first time (I've always been a DIY guy) and the tech told me he had just changed the oil on his 2 stroke motorcycle, and there was no discernable difference between the two. That is just unacceptable and I don't see how Ford can just write us all off. Especially when changing the oil 5x more frequently than the owner's manual recommends. We need some sort of news or media outlet to get a hold of this thread as they have others in the past, then maybe they will do something...

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I've noticed a lot of people who got the Blackstone test done showed 2.8% fuel dilution. Is that the max that their testing will register or something? I can't imagine that the odds of everyone getting that exact same number are very high...
The amsoil test maxes out at 5%, which is what I was getting, but the viscosity is a better measure of how bad it really is. In my case the true fuel dilution is around 10% after every 2000 miles.

I just got here to my new duty station, and was supposed to quick turn into a TDY (no longer happening thanks to the coronavirus....), so I went ahead and had my oil changed at a shop for the first time (I've always been a DIY guy) and the tech told me he had just changed the oil on his 2 stroke motorcycle, and there was no discernable difference between the two. That is just unacceptable and I don't see how Ford can just write us all off. Especially when changing the oil 5x more frequently than the owner's manual recommends. We need some sort of news or media outlet to get a hold of this thread as they have others in the past, then maybe they will do something...
you needed to get a DEALER to do that oil change.!!one good dealer is all it takes to get at least your truck taken care of.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
you needed to get a DEALER to do that oil change.!!one good dealer is all it takes to get at least your truck taken care of.
Yeah I know.... But it was 6:30 pm and I was supposed to leave the next morning, and I was pretty sure the dealer would either be closed or require an appointment. I'll make them do the next one! I'm just glad I've moved to an area with numerous dealers so I should have a better chance of getting this thing fixed...

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Latest test results. So no Blackstone doesn’t max out at 2.8%.
Thats quite a bit of fuel contamination, wonder how the dealer is going to handle this. Keep us posted, just sent in my sample today.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Latest test results. So no Blackstone doesn’t max out at 2.8%.
Wow! Looks like you have it just as bad as I do. The amsoil analysis I've used maxes out at 5%, so I figure in actuality we are about the same. Hopefully one of us can get this fixed and the other can replicate the solution.

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Got almost 1200 miles on mine. Check the level at 500 miles and was just above the hash marks on the stick but below the top hole. Also it smelled like fuel. I was getting ready to do the first oil change this weekend (to get the brake in oil out)and checked the oil last night and it was almost to where the twist starts on the stick, I checked it again before leaving work today(after setting for 5 hour) and it checked the same as last night. So decided to stop by dealership And have them check it. I have to go back after lunch and see what they have to say. He wanted it to set for a hour on level ground before the tech checks it. I thought it would be best to get it documented now with the dealer then doing a oil change and waiting till 5000 mile oil change to say something. I hope they at least acknowledge there is a issue.
Sponsored