Fuel in oil

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Sum-bich, 3000 mile intervals may be too long. I just changed my oil, I measured what I drained out....about 7.7qts, not counting what splashed on the floor, it was very thin, WTF. My records show 3076 miles since my last oil change and about a month since I checked the level the last time. When I reset the oil monitor, it claimed I had 69% oil life left. This thread had me checking it regularly in the past, but it always looked good, level and color, and I relaxed on it a bit. Probably the only reason I checked it yesterday was because I had read updates to this thread. This really bums me out, I find it hard to believe some type of damage hasn't already happened, not to mention the run-around I am sure to get at the dealer trying to get it situated. My Ranger smile is fading quickly.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Sum-bich, 3000 mile intervals may be too long. I just changed my oil, I measured what I drained out....about 7.7qts, not counting what splashed on the floor, it was very thin, WTF. My records show 3076 miles since my last oil change and about a month since I checked the level the last time. When I reset the oil monitor, it claimed I had 69% oil life left. This thread had me checking it regularly in the past, but it always looked good, level and color, and I relaxed on it a bit. Probably the only reason I checked it yesterday was because I had read updates to this thread. This really bums me out, I find it hard to believe some type of damage hasn't already happened, not to mention the run-around I am sure to get at the dealer trying to get it situated. My Ranger smile is fading quickly.
Bummer...
Regards

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I didn't read all 27 pages so I'm sorry if I'm covering something that's already been covered but if I had a new vehicle where I was seeing excessive fuel in my oil, I would first try draining the oil and replacing with 30wt non-syn break-in oil and running it hard for a few hundred miles and see if that helps. It would, if nothing else, at least rule out rings that are struggling to seat.

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my dip stick after 765 miles with my oil life percentage. Smells of fuel, but not an overpowering smell. Just slight hint of gas. Like 2-stroke engine. Thank God, my level has stayed the same, but I really haven't put many miles on her.
DC718E0C-1319-4E5F-89BB-DDD884DD2500.png
70BFB22D-C057-4103-9F68-85C0F839A6FE.jpeg

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
That's about what my oil looks like at about the same mileage (808 miles) but my oil life reads 92%

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
That's about what my oil looks like at about the same mileage (808 miles) but my oil life reads 92%
Don't know why my oil life drops so fast. I guess I could chalk it up to a few pulls/passes on the interstate.

Truck is super smooth at 90mph lol.

Does yours smell like fuel? I haven't been reading all of the posts. Just page 27.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know why my oil life drops so fast. I guess I could chalk it up to a few pulls/passes on the interstate.

Truck is super smooth at 90mph lol.

Does yours smell like fuel? I haven't been reading all of the posts. Just page 27.
not really...it smells like oil, no different than my wife's VW Jetta SE (she has the 1.5 DI turbo), or the dinosaur oil in my 32 year old BMW. I was using the shceduled app start thingie for a while (like two weeks), but now I just start it 1-2 minutes before heading out the door and just make sure that I take the longer way to work so the engine runs at least 15 minutes. Long idling and short trips are oil life killers.

On that, I wonder how many that tested their oil pre-warmed their engines by idling on their driveway rather than taking the truck for a spin...might not visibly increase the oil level but might sway the %fuel content results some

Last edited:

Da Ranger

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Just got back from the dealer. They opened a case with Ford. Ford wants to see 7.5k to 10k on the last oil change. Also let them know how the truck jumps into gear slamming me back in the seat during first trip of the morning. They said they may be related.

Ford is saying that the oil should correct itself and that changing it too often isnā€™t giving it that chance. Dealership said they will start tearing into the engine after the recommendation on oil life if there is still a problem.

Dealership said that now everything is documented incase Ford finds an issue and puts out a TSB.

MarkC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Scab, 2012 Toyota Rav4
I checked mine today for the first time (800 miles, Sept 2019 engine build), and the oil level was almost to the full tick but looked "clean" and I couldn't smell any gasoline-like smell (although I do have allergies). For the record, I have been babying it so far, which I guess may not be the right thing to do. Anyway, I'll be checking the oil more often now.

Reactions: Doc

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Performed the oil blotter test over night last night on Chromatography paper. The dealer wonā€™t let me change my own oil the first time as it will ā€˜voidā€™ my extended warranty - although, Iā€™d probably be a whole lot more thorough than my dealer. Whatever. Anyway,

A colorless spot or slight yellow outer ring - "good" oil.
A dense, dark deposit zone - Dispersancy failure
A black, pasty zone - Glycol (Antifreeze) in your oil
A dark center with distinct outer ring - Severely oxidized oil
A dark center with surrounding rings - Fuel in oil
Information for the blotter spot test can be found in:
Fitch, J.C., "The Lubrication Field Test and Inspection Guide" Noria Corporation 2000

Do you all see anything I donā€™t?

E70C70F5-849B-4F60-B7C3-D4BB8DB6A685.jpeg

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
And the "Senior Tech" at the dealer doesn't think it smells like fuel ? I convinced the service advisor to keep the truck so they can monitor. I'm torn between two outcomes. Do I hope for the level to stay put and that I was losing my mind over this or do I hope it goes up to restore my sanity? To be continued...

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
Performed the oil blotter test over night last night on Chromatography paper. The dealer wonā€™t let me change my own oil the first time as it will ā€˜voidā€™ my extended warranty - although, Iā€™d probably be a whole lot more thorough than my dealer. Whatever. Anyway,

A colorless spot or slight yellow outer ring - "good" oil.
A dense, dark deposit zone - Dispersancy failure
A black, pasty zone - Glycol (Antifreeze) in your oil
A dark center with distinct outer ring - Severely oxidized oil
A dark center with surrounding rings - Fuel in oil
Information for the blotter spot test can be found in:
Fitch, J.C., "The Lubrication Field Test and Inspection Guide" Noria Corporation 2000

Do you all see anything I donā€™t?

E70C70F5-849B-4F60-B7C3-D4BB8DB6A685.jpeg
looks good from here!!

Lone Ranger

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew, 2019 Ford Flex
When I first brought my Ranger home and had 600 miles on it, I noticed a strong oder on the dipstick and the oil was above the top dot. It wasn't gasoline, it was something else. I changed the oil and filter. A few weeks later, I noticed the oil again was near the top dot and I started with oil just below top full line. I have read on other posts that there is a check valve on the oil filter that is supposed to keep its oil from flowing back into the crankcase. I think the issue is that the oil filter is horizontal instead of vertical and there will always be a tendency for oil to flow back. The pickup now has over 11000 miles on it and has had three oil changes. I have not seen any evidence of leakage or even weapage. The oder on the dipstick is normal. I had expressed concern about the oil level and one of the contributors on Ranger5G pointed out the oil filter check valve issue and to check the oil when the engine is cold. Checking with a cold engine shows a significantly more normal result, but the oil level is still showing higher than the level that I started with. I have learned to observe and recognize that this behavior is normal for this pickup.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The dealer wonā€™t let me change my own oil the first time as it will ā€˜voidā€™ my extended warranty
Say what? Does it say that in the extended warranty papers you signed?

Sounds like the dealer is making up shit as they go along.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Say what? Does it say that in the extended warranty papers you signed?

Sounds like the dealer is making up shit as they go along.
it may be...I bought not a Ford extended warranty but a "dealer" extended warranty...the fine print indicates that they would prefer that you brought your vehicle in for maintenance, otherwise to keep records/receipts if you DIY (like me). I have no idea what the difference in price for a Ford extended warranty is compared to my dealer's (they also sell Toyotas), or what the difference in conditions, but as a CYA I'd suggest reading your extended warranty and at least save your oil receipts
Sponsored