Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Self Employed
Hello everyone this is my first post
However I just purchased my new Ford Ranger and I love it. when I fill up the miles to empty is 352 365. So when the tank gets to a quarter of a tank it shows 50 miles to empty. If that where the case that means I’m only getting 200 miles to a tank. I’ve read some forums but I’m still confused. Can anyone explain thanks in advance. .
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
The owner’s manual says

“Your vehicle calculates fuel economy figures through the trip computer average fuel function. See Information Displays (page 95).
The first 1,000 mi (1,500 km) of driving is the break-in period of the engine. A more accurate measurement is obtained after 2,000 mi (3,000 km).”

Ranger Chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I have 10,700 miles on my truck and it still does the same thing. I've not had it to zero but I go off the guage rather than the miles left. There is a video on YouTube of a guy in a newer F-150 and he shows how many miles he went past zero.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
As mentioned befor the truck does the calculations for how far you have on a full tank. What I do myself is reset both the trip an average MPG every fill up so I get an odea on how well I'm going to do on each tank. Some are better and some are worse. Can you get good range out of the truck? In the right conditions and as long as you dont have much of a lead foot then yes. Have a lead foot or have a headwind because life hates you that trip then you will have non existent MPG. Just how it works.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I'm just shy of 9k miles on mine now, and i get the 50 miles warning light just under a 1/4, closer to 1/8 a tank now. I do not run it that low just out of habit though. On my '00 Expedition, we went 45 miles with it showing "0 miles til empty" when trying to drain the tank for engine work.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm just shy of 9k miles on mine now, and i get the 50 miles warning light just under a 1/4, closer to 1/8 a tank now. I do not run it that low just out of habit though. On my '00 Expedition, we went 45 miles with it showing "0 miles til empty" when trying to drain the tank for engine work.
Mines the same. I'm at 8900 miles and it comes on around 1/8 left. OP the miles to empty will change on each fill up too based on your last tank used. There are times when I'm light on the gas and it'll say 440 miles left and others it'll say 365 miles left. It's hard to have a light foot when this truck is so much fun to drive. ?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Its the number of actual gallons used and actual gallons left in the tank.
Mine is accurate on gallons used but way pessimistic on the warning to empty.
I just figure that Ford just wants to prevent you from actually running out of gas.
My truck reflects accurate mileage, but it still has some fuel left when the warning says "0"

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
When your truck says it is out of fuel.... how much fuel is really left?

When we picked up our brand spanking shiny new 2019 Ranger SuperCab at the dealership the "Miles To E " display showed "0 " miles of fuel remaining, and the out of fuel chime was ringing.

We drove about 3 blocks and filled up the tank with 91 Octane Top Tier gasoline.

It took 18.524 gallons before it shut off the pump. Fuel capacity per page 319 of the owners manual is 18.8 gallons.

18.8 - 18.524 = 0.276 gallons remaining.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
When your truck says it is out of fuel.... how much fuel is really left?

When we picked up our brand spanking shiny new 2019 Ranger SuperCab at the dealership the "Miles To E " display showed "0 " miles of fuel remaining, and the out of fuel chime was ringing.

We drove about 3 blocks and filled up the tank with 91 Octane Top Tier gasoline.

It took 18.524 gallons before it shut off the pump. Fuel capacity per page 319 of the owners manual is 18.8 gallons.

18.8 - 18.524 = 0.276 gallons remaining.
The dealer wouldn’t fill it up for you?

Deleted member 1634

The light doesn't come on at 1/4 tank, it comes on at 50 miles to empty. If it comes on at 1/4 tank then that's purely a coincidence, or you're really hammering on it.

The distance to empty is purely a guideline and reference, not an accurate number. I would use it only as a guideline, not a hardset cutoff. Another reason I recommend not going below 1/4 tank as often as you can help it.

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
This isn't something I normally do.....combination of work, errands etc. but I let mine get down to 11 miles to empty. Took 18.53 gals to fill it back up.

Deleted member 1634

I find it easier to fill it with a half tank left. Call me old school, but it was ingrained in me by my Dad to always have gas in it incase of an emergency.
Same. Not necessarily because of my dad, but because of experiences, both my own and others'. No less than 1/4 tank in the summer, and no less than 1/2 tank in the winter.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer wouldn’t fill it up for you?
Yeah, my dealer tops off the tank before you take delivery, which I took to be the standard, and smart, practice. But not all dealers are alike....
Sponsored