You have 0 km to empty

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
That's an old wives tail. As long as the pump is pumping fuel it gets all the cooling it needs.

I have removed the pump/sender unit from tanks over the years that would require you to keep the tank above 1/2 full to keep it submerged, not to mention all the efi conversions where the fuel pump is mounted outside the tank.

And I have had just the opposite experience while working on vehicles over the years. I have had to replace fuel pumps on vehicles where the drivers are constantly running the tank down to empty.

So no it isn't just an old wive's tail. There actually is some truth to it. Though you have to run the tank down to empty on every fill up and it takes a while to happen.
Sponsored

Freqz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-450, 1977 Scout II
With my F450, you’d better be ready to push or walk at 30 miles to empty.

at least you don’t have to hand prime each injector…

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
With my F450, you’d better be ready to push or walk at 30 miles to empty.

at least you don’t have to hand prime each injector…
I've had to respond to older diesels run dry, and get them going on site. I wouldn't risk it if I were driving a diesel.

Reactions: Doc

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
There's a guy on YouTube that ran out on purpose while filming it to see how many miles past empty you can go. We all know they have a margin of error for people that like to push it. His fusion went like 30 miles an his F150 went 40. Your mileage may warry.

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
So no it isn't just an old wive's tail. There actually is some truth to it. Though you have to run the tank down to empty on every fill up and it takes a while to happen.
That's me. I hate stopping for gas. I push the limit ALL the time. In 50 years of driving, I've only ever replaced two fuels pumps. 67 chevelle and 76 monte carlo. I had a frontier I drove for 11 years landscaping, and ran that sucker out of gas at least once a month or so. Carrying multiple gas cans only managed to encourage my bad behavior. That truck never seen a shop other than for regular maintenance.

I had 12 mi to empty when I stopped today, and it only took 17 gallons to fill up. Kind of wondering how further I could have gone. It's like a game to me.

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
How much farther did you have in reserve?
I left the house with 9 km to empty and 17km to the gas station. I had 10L in a Gerry can, just in case.

Edit: I made it to the gas station without running out, so I don't know how far I had remaining. I wasn't paying attention to how much I put in, but looking at the credit card account I think it was only 73L or so which would suggest 5-10 liters in the tank still for another ~30km.

Last edited:

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
My 2016 Corolla is empty when it says empty. My 1998 Chevy 2500 runs just fine on the wrong side of empty. My 2021 Ranger, I don’t know yet. When we take long trips towing, I carry 5 gallons in the back for the generator and just in case.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
My 1st truck was a 1982 Datsun/Nissan. When the needle just touched the white line by E it was empty...luckily I was not far from a gas station when the pushing started.

My 1990 Bronco had a 32 gal tank, the manual said that if you ran it empty it would take at least 5 gallons on flat land to start so I never tempted fate.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I top off the tank when it goes below 3/4’s. That way I don’t get murderEd at the price of a fillup. btw, Walmart here dropped to $3.89.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
You do know it's not good to run this low as you risk sucking in junk from the bottom on th tank
Actually the pump is always drawing in fuel from the bottom of the tank, that is why there is a filter on the end of the pickup that lays on the bottom so you can use all the fuel in the tank and not suck up junk. Granted if the tank is full a lot of that junk will be in suspension but it will all be in the bottom everytime you start your vehicle and a large percentage of it will settle to the bottom during steady state cruise.

Besides the filter sock inside the tank vehicles used to have a filter external to the tank that you changed periodically. Manufacturers have found that they are not necessary and you seldom see a vehicle with an external fuel filter.
Sponsored