Miles to Empty

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I haven’t had mine anywhere near that low, I think it was 42km or 26 miles. The weather can get too nasty around here to risk going lower!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
How far have you gone? I don’t do that normally When I filled up I want to say it was something like 18.8 gallons.

B132653C-7965-462A-BF52-14DF78BFA85E.jpeg
Not that low lol. I usually fill up around a 1/4 tank but sometimes (rarely) I'll go to the 50 mile warning light. I think the lowest was something around 17.6 gals when I first got the truck and I wanted to see how accurate the gas gauge was.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Base on my other vehicles. after after fillup when light comes up. I estimate there is about 2 gallons remaining. but sometimes I filled up right after the light came on and I ended up putting in 17.8 gallons. not sure if the 18 gallons takes into account the filler neck or not.

OP
OP
treimche

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I haven’t had mine anywhere near that low, I think it was 42km or 26 miles. The weather can get too nasty around here to risk going lower!
Its horrible here too. Temp is currently sitting at -4 degrees F.

Deleted member 1634

In the summer I'll let it go down around a 1/4 tank, sometimes slightly past the 50mi warning chime if I know I'm going to be stopping soon anyways. But in the winter, I rarely let it go below 1/2 tank. I drive on too many roads where there is no one coming around for a long time. So if I get stuck or stranded, I'd like to have plenty of fuel to keep me warm in the cold while I wait many many hours for rescue. But then again, I am a bit of an over-preparer. haha

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I have read on another forum that you shouldn't let you fuel level go much below a quarter of a tank. The reason given is that the gas helps to keep the fuel pump cool. Apparently, this only applies to vehicles with the pump inside the tank, and I don't know if this would apply to the Ranger.

Deleted member 1634

on one of the jobs i used to do for work, sitting in the bush all day during the cold winter, or the hot summer....we idled the truck all day long after an hours drive out and another hour back and still had gas to spare.
you would need to be in one heck of an Armageddon snowstorm to be worried about having less than a half tank of gas.
at that point, i would channel my inner Eskimo and make a snow fort and hunt polar bears to survive.
There have been many stories of people being stranded for days on end on sparsely traveled roads around here. And the only way most of them survive is by walking miles and miles for help once things get desperate. I'm also the kind of person who doesn't always stick to the main roads when traveling. Though some of the main roads you'd be hard pressed to see another vehicle for many hours, especially at night and during a storm. A lot of places around here also get some measurable amount of snow every day in the winter, and a heavy snow storm happens usually once a month, if not more often. And there is very sporadic cell service as well, so calling for help is usually not an option. So the scenario you described is not as far-fetched as you might think. It's the reason I also have plenty of other survival gear in my truck too. Coveralls, extra blankets, metal shovel, snowshoes, ax/hatchet, saw, tow straps, water, dehydrated food, backpacking cook stove, headlamp, jump pack w/ included air compressor, tool kit, come-along winch, NOAA weather radio, PLB, etc. Like I said, I do tend to over-prepare, but only because I've known plenty of people who didn't prepare the way I do and have suffered because of it. Is 1/2 tank of gas a lot for that type of scenario? Maybe, but I'd rather have that much and not have to find out what would happen if I didn't.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
When we picked up our brand spanking shiny new 2019 Ranger SuperCab at the dealership the "Miles To E " display showed "0 " miles of fuel remaining, and the out of fuel chime was ringing.

We drove about 3 blocks and filled up the tank with 91 Octane Top Tier gasoline.

It took 18.524 gallons before it shut off the pump. Fuel capacity per page 319 of the owners manual is 18.8 gallons.

18.8 - 18.524 = 0.276 gallons remaining.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
When we picked up our brand spanking shiny new 2019 Ranger SuperCab at the dealership the "Miles To E " display showed "0 " miles of fuel remaining, and the out of fuel chime was ringing.

We drove about 3 blocks and filled up the tank with 91 Octane Top Tier gasoline.

It took 18.524 gallons before it shut off the pump. Fuel capacity per page 319 of the owners manual is 18.8 gallons.

18.8 - 18.524 = 0.276 gallons remaining.
I thought it was an unwritten rule that all new vehicles are delivered with a full tank.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I thought it was an unwritten rule that all new vehicles are delivered with a full tank.
Every vehicle that I've purchased new I always had a full tank of gas upon delivery of them. These were from many different dealers and in 4 different states too.

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
I am near 60 and have been through quite a few auto purchases in my life. I have never taken delivery of a new or used vehicle and the tank wasn't on full. That is until I picked up this Ranger. Worst. Dealer. Ever. I actually sputtered into the nearest station a couple blocks away from the stealership when I picked the truck up and noticed it was on E.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
In the summer I'll let it go down around a 1/4 tank, sometimes slightly past the 50mi warning chime if I know I'm going to be stopping soon anyways. But in the winter, I rarely let it go below 1/2 tank. I drive on too many roads where there is no one coming around for a long time. So if I get stuck or stranded, I'd like to have plenty of fuel to keep me warm in the cold while I wait many many hours for rescue. But then again, I am a bit of an over-preparer. haha
It’s a smart thing to do, you never know what can happen when the weather changes so fast.
Sponsored