First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
And I have had just the opposite experience while working on vehicles over the years. I have had to replace fuel pumps on vehicles where the drivers are constantly running the tank down to empty.

So no it isn't just an old wive's tail. There actually is some truth to it. Though you have to run the tank down to empty on every fill up and it takes a while to happen.
Well all manufactured items can and do fail. I doubt very much the ones you have experienced failed because they were not adequately cooled.

In my 50+ years of driving I have never thought about filling the tank before it got to 1/8 or the low fuel warning light came on. My first efi vehicle with an in tank pump was a 1985 and have accumulated about a million miles on vehicles with in tank pumps. I have had one failure. One thing I can say for sure electric fuel pumps are orders of magnitude more reliable than the mechanical pumps that were driven off the cam or crank.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I top off the tank when it goes below 3/4’s. That way I don’t get murderEd at the price of a fillup. btw, Walmart here dropped to $3.89.
What? It's better to pay $20 every 3 days, than $60 every 9 days? LOL

Even if the gas station is directly on the route, just truning into the gas station and stopping at the pump 3x as often will be using more gas than going less frequently, and the extra start-up will use more fuel than doing it less frequently. Also carrying a full tank all the time will lower your MPG.

I've heard funny stories about Floridians before, but wasn't sure they were true until now ;)

Reactions: Doc

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Well all manufactured items can and do fail. I doubt very much the ones you have experienced failed because they were not adequately cooled.
The ones I had to replace were definitely burned up and the owners admitted to running the tank dry every time. I hardly had to mess with fuel pumps when the owners always filled up when they were at a 1/4 tank.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
What? It's better to pay $20 every 3 days, than $60 every 9 days? LOL

Even if the gas station is directly on the route, just truning into the gas station and stopping at the pump 3x as often will be using more gas than going less frequently, and the extra start-up will use more fuel than doing it less frequently. Also carrying a full tank all the time will lower your MPG.

I've heard funny stories about Floridians before, but wasn't sure they were true until now ;)
My truck is not a daily driver …it’s a 2019 with 14,000 miles…
my daily driver is an 06 sportster which I sold and bought it back…It was too much bike for the buyer.

20180624_064835.jpg

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
The ones I had to replace were definitely burned up and the owners admitted to running the tank dry every time. I hardly had to mess with fuel pumps when the owners always filled up when they were at a 1/4 tank.
Running the tank dry is a completely different than running the tank below 1/4. As I said in my original post on this topic if the pump is pumping fluid it is getting all the cooling it needs.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Running the tank dry is a completely different than running the tank below 1/4. As I said in my original post on this topic if the pump is pumping fluid it is getting all the cooling it needs.
And in my original reply I specifically mentioned running the tank it until the needle is on empty.. Which is some case is bone dry or less than 1 gallon .

I know a lot of people that run their vehicles until the tank is at "E" all of the time then wonder why they have to replace burned out fuel pumps.
And yes I have had to replace burned up fuel pumps because people run the tanks down to E every singe tank full. It doesn't matter if there is a gallon in the tank or it is completely empty. Doing this IS bad for fuel pumps that are mounted inside the fuel tank and use the fuel as coolant.

Freqz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-450, 1977 Scout II
I've had to respond to older diesels run dry, and get them going on site. I wouldn't risk it if I were driving a diesel.
Definetly not recommended. I ran a tractor dry when I was a kid— my grandfather made me prime the thing which left a lasting impression.

I got in a bind one morning out here at work— the power was out to the two stations I normally use and the next fuel is nearly 50 miles from there. I carry a 5 gallon can in the bed now. Working in the boonies has its disadvantages. Fortunately, the procedure is the same as changing a fuel filter so it’s easy on the super duties.

twk

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 22 Ranger Lariat.
Occupation
Flight Simulator Engineer, retired.
I live on the edge kids. Danger is my middle name.

tJidsp0.jpg
Ah, pfth. Once the engine starts to sputter, you'll still have an easy 100 more yards.
Sponsored