Fuel Gauge/miles to empty

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Today the "50miles to empty" message came on the dash.
I then drove another 23 miles before stopping for gas.
The truck was carefully topped off with 16 gallons of fuel with 358 miles on the tank.
The mileage was accurate for the miles driven (22.4 MPG).
This left 2.8 gallons in the tank... subtract another 1.2 gallons for the remaining predicted 27 miles.
This leaves 1.6 gallons in reserve if the tank is rated at 18.8 gallons, or 8/10th of a gallon if you count the tank as 18 gallons even.
Sponsored

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I love my Ranger, but I find the distance to empty notice almost ridiculous. Mine also comes on just barely past 1/4 tank. And it says 80 Kms (50 miles to empty)

Today I filled up and it said 608 kms (378 miles) to empty. So if a 1/4 of a gas tank is a 1/4 of your remaining kms/miles, then it should read more like that you have 152 kms ( 94.5 miles) to empty at that point.

I guess Ford really doesn’t want you to run out of gas! ?

Viscerol

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Mortician
Mine read 50 till empty last night. I drive another 20 miles and topped off. It took 17 gallons, so by my math I only had 20-25 miles left in the tank. I have been getting 23 mpg’s so fairly accurate I’d say.
I’m sure there’s some room for error (reserve) so someone doesn’t run it out of gas.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Mine read 50 till empty last night. I drive another 20 miles and topped off. It took 17 gallons, so by my math I only had 20-25 miles left in the tank. I have been getting 23 mpg’s so fairly accurate I’d say.
I’m sure there’s some room for error (reserve) so someone doesn’t run it out of gas.
An easy way to log you mpg is download the Fuelly app and add your fill ups. It updates your average mpg and keeps them all on file for you along with any other maintenance. IIRC the fuel pump is in the lower part of the tank and it's a good idea to not run it so low because the gas will keep it cooler.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Mine just popped up this morning, I usually don't go below 1/2 tank before filling up. This time, I was below 1/4, but I don't remember exactly what the needle was pointing at. Just happened to be one my way to gas up anyway, so I was not concerned.

Unfortunately, I ran across this thread later (no help huh :crazy:)

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Unless I'm mistaken, the fuel gauge is NOT a linear reading. You can go lots farther on the first 1/4 tank than the last quarter tank. In the past they used a float to measure fuel level, not sure how it's done now, but sound like it still is the old float system.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Unless I'm mistaken, the fuel gauge is NOT a linear reading. You can go lots farther on the first 1/4 tank than the last quarter tank. In the past they used a float to measure fuel level, not sure how it's done now, but sound like it still is the old float system.
I habe yet to run into a vehicle that doesn't use a float system but then again Mercedes apparently uses a digital sensor built in the fuel pump hanger assembly.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I love my Ranger, but I find the distance to empty notice almost ridiculous. Mine also comes on just barely past 1/4 tank. And it says 80 Kms (50 miles to empty)

Today I filled up and it said 608 kms (378 miles) to empty. So if a 1/4 of a gas tank is a 1/4 of your remaining kms/miles, then it should read more like that you have 152 kms ( 94.5 miles) to empty at that point.

I guess Ford really doesn’t want you to run out of gas! ?
Better safe than sorry....

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Adjusting the AFE multiplier in the engineering screen changed where my gauge and DTE light come on in relation to 50 miles to empty. I wish there was a way to display total hours the engine has run, not just on the trip meters.

I burned a fuel pump up in my escape always running it down to the light so now on ranger I fill up between 1/2 and 1/4 tank or unless a hurricane is coming then I fill it everyday lol

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Same. Not necessarily because of my dad, but because of experiences, both my own and others'. No less than 1/4 tank in the summer, and no less than 1/2 tank in the winter.
Yep, those of us who live in the areas with brutal cold winter weather know better to go below half a tank. There's nothing good about frozen gas lines.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yep, those of us who live in the areas with brutal cold winter weather know better to go below half a tank. There's nothing good about frozen gas lines.
That's funny, I have been in negative temperature weather with close to a 1/4 tank and never had my fuel freeze.

Raynerboy934

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Hi guys I have been following this page ever since I got my 2020 Ford ranger. I have Method rims on 285/75r16 Kenda M/T. I went from getting 335 til empty to 265 til empty. Has anyone ever used a performance chip to see if it goes back to normal?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi guys I have been following this page ever since I got my 2020 Ford ranger. I have Method rims on 285/75r16 Kenda M/T. I went from getting 335 til empty to 265 til empty. Has anyone ever used a performance chip to see if it goes back to normal?
Mud terrains will do that. Heavy and not fuel efficient tire tread compound.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Living back east I always used HEET when it got brutally cold. We'd go up to northern Maine snowmobiling and it would be -20 in the morning and daytime highs in the single digits. ? In over 30 years of driving there I never had any frozen lines using this stuff. Plus it's good to use to get the water out of the gas to prevent corrosion.

HEET-Gas-Line-Antifreeze_12oz.jpg
Sponsored