Miles to Empty

Deleted member 1634

I am not heavy or light on the gas pedal. The last tank was showing and average mpg of 16.6. I was really looking forward to the 21-26 mpg promised, but didn't think I would have to drive like an old lady going to church on Sunday to get it.
There are a lot of factors involved outside of driving habits with this engine. The 21-26+mpg some of us are getting is not necessarily because we're driving like "old ladies". The variables are just aligning for us sometimes. I'll tell you that my mpgs are all over the map depending on speed, elevation change, wind direction, brand of fuel, tire pressure, any mods done, etc. Driving habits do affect it as well, but it's not the only thing.
Sponsored

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
@Troy. Yes, I'm retired but I'm also 50 miles away from the nearest gas station. It's a habit and doesn't take but a minute when you are only adding 5-7 gallons. Glad of that quick fill, because being from Fargo, ND you can certainly understand standing outside in below zero temperatures (and the wind) as we do in WY - the shorter the time, the better. When I was working I did the same, Filled up when passing a station. Like I said It's just a habit and to everyone, do as you like, it's just something to consider..

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I let mine get down to 75 miles to empty once, but usually I am filling up by 1/4.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
While I don't like to make a habit out of such things, it happened more than once (with this but also other cars) that I'm at 0 miles left lol

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
While I don't like to make a habit out of such things, it happened more than once (with this but also other cars) that I'm at 0 miles left lol
Have Full Gascan...will travel...Not!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
This morning's fill up I had 9 miles to empty. After a second trigger to round it to the next dollar, it read 18.0 gallons even. 18.3mpg and 314miles. I didn't mean to get that low as I screwed up leaving work yesterday and completely forgot.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
All new cars for the past 40 years come from the factory with about 5 gallons of gas and then at purchase all the dealers fill the tank up one time at delivery, however I was told by one of my dealers recently that is not a requirement from the factory that they do that, and that it is up to the dealer if they provide that service with a new vehicle purchase. Now used cars never has the dealer filled the tank at delivery. That is my Eastern Oregon experience though, never lived any other place in Conus.
I keep my gas tank full, only once since October 18th has it hit 1/2 tank.
Smile , be happy.

0917135828.jpg

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
its also fair to say you just spent $40g's and are complaining about $50 bucks in gas. who's scrimping there?? Both sides of the fence are cheap ass'

I'm pretty sure I got lambasted in a different thread in a similar way.
Hm, I bought a 2013 Ram 2500 new that the dealer gave me two tanks of Diesel and when I went back in to get my 2nd tank the salesman griped about it; are you a car salesman or a dealer or just someone who thinks customer care is hogwash?
Smile be happy; oh and I also received 5 years of oil changes for free and 5 years of bumper to bumper warranty for cheap too. Been buying from the same dealer for 20 years. The manufacturer also pays the dealers extra money on each new car sold by the dealers around the country and one of those is called hold back. So they are not always losing on the good deals they make to customers but are instead getting paid to make those good deals.
Just saying, smile and be happy Ranger Pride, I am.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
I only drive my truck on weekends, on my first tank of gas. The 50 miles to empty warning light came on but it shows 1/4 on the fuel gauge. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet? I will fill it up next weekend sometime.

scubalizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I only drive my truck on weekends, on my first tank of gas. The 50 miles to empty warning light came on but it shows 1/4 on the fuel gauge. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet? I will fill it up next weekend sometime.
That appears to be the point that mine comes on. I average 21mpg with my drives. 1/4 of the 18.5 gallon tank is just over 4.5 gallons which should last about 90miles. I drove mine well past 50miles that the computer told me on a test of the gauge. I think the fuel gauge float is a bit high in the gas tank of our trucks. As others have pointed out is likely due to the file pump being located inside the tank and it uses fuel as a lubricant and coolant for the pump. I try not to go past 1/4 tank as much as I can. My previous truck was a Nissan Xterra and I always ran that to fumes with not issues.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
That appears to be the point that mine comes on. I average 21mpg with my drives. 1/4 of the 18.5 gallon tank is just over 4.5 gallons which should last about 90miles. I drove mine well past 50miles that the computer told me on a test of the gauge. I think the fuel gauge float is a bit high in the gas tank of our trucks. As others have pointed out is likely due to the file pump being located inside the tank and it uses fuel as a lubricant and coolant for the pump. I try not to go past 1/4 tank as much as I can. My previous truck was a Nissan Xterra and I always ran that to fumes with not issues.
My Ford Escape’s low fuel warning light comes on at 35 miles to empty and is right at empty mark on the gauge, so this will take some getting used to. Thanks for the information

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
That is mine as well. It's about 3 gallons.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I was at zero miles to empty, drove for a few more and pumped in 19 gallons, which really means I had a couple gallons few left I think, by the time you include the filler neck, it certinally was the most dollars I have poured in the tank.

And yes I know it's not good to run it down so low, I normally never do that, just a odd exception.

What got me worried a little bit, I read a article that rated Ford the best in calculating miles to empty, the older Fords were good for 15-20 more miles past zero, my son in his 2019 Ranger said he has gone 10-15 past zero.

Just curious how many have run it down low and if they completely filled it, how much.

IMG_2877.jpeg