Front Seat Headrests - Question

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
Why not see if it is covered under warranty rather than trying to fix it first? It seems yours has some kind of defect as no one else so far has said they have had same issue. Mine lock in place and do not slide down. But of course I have to check if they tilt or not as it never crossed my mind. Not sure I would use it as I don’t in my wife’s escape but I want it to be in the special club of those who have tilting head rests? Damn the pencil pushers for deleting items!
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Why not see if it is covered under warranty rather than trying to fix it first? It seems yours has some kind of defect as no one else so far has said they have had same issue. Mine lock in place and do not slide down. But of course I have to check if they tilt or not as it never crossed my mind. Not sure I would use it as I don’t in my wife’s escape but I want it to be in the special club of those who have tilting head rests? Damn the pencil pushers for deleting items!
I’m not sure you’re missing that much. Here’s what you get when you’re in that special club.

btw - I’ve tilted my front seat headrest forward twice in three years - once by accident and once for this video. ?

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I don't ever rest my head on them. but they are tilted forward as much as I can without head contact.
Most important part of a headrest in my opinion is to prevent/reduce the amount of whiplash you're going to get when rear ended at a stop light when the ASS is slow to respond and the guy behind me accelerates into me. An inch or two fwd or back isn't going to make a huge difference.
I would trade with someone, but I feel my 2019 is a goldmine of extras that has no limit on value now. Its becoming that coin collection Gramps kept in a box under the stairs in the cellar.
People will all want to touch and talk about the interesting things they find, some will envy you, some will pocket what ever they can.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not sure you’re missing that much. Here’s what you get when you’re in that special club.

btw - I’ve tilted my front seat headrest forward twice in three years - once by accident and once for this video. ?

Went and checked. Nope. The headrest doesn’t tilt. So I am out of the club. I would rather be in the 6 tie down hooks or the aluminum UCA club anyways then tilting headrests club?

Reactions: EJH

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Went and checked. Nope. The headrest doesn’t tilt. So I am out of the club. I would rather be in the 6 tie down hooks or the aluminum UCA club anyways then tilting headrests club?
I guess, but then there’s also that tilting headrest, six tie-downs, aluminum knuckle, engine cover, passenger side floor mat anchor, EcoBoost badge, hood strut, rocker panel plug club that only a select few can join.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I guess, but then there’s also that tilting headrest, six tie-downs, aluminum knuckle, engine cover, passenger side floor mat anchor, EcoBoost badge, hood strut, rocker panel plug club that only a select few can join.
I think there was something else removed on the seats too, maybe passenger lumbar adjust. And heated wipers. And definitely don't forget the pencil tray.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
That hack works only if the headrest already has the internal tilt mechanism (my 6/2020 build does). The internal tilt mechanism was later removed.
That hack works only if the headrest already has the internal tilt mechanism (my 6/2020 build does). The internal tilt mechanism was later removed.
yup…that’s why I included my build date so others can compare.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think there was something else removed on the seats too, maybe passenger lumbar adjust. And heated wipers. And definitely don't forget the pencil tray.
Okay at least I got the hood struts, have adjustable lumber support, chrome rings around the 12V plug caps, aluminum front fenders and managed to get my hands on engine cover early last year, managed to get rocker panel plugs from Amazon. No ecoboost badge. Crap. I am just a poser! I am not worthy!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Mine has all that, plus, PLUS, PLUS....... :sunglasses:

I'm sure there's something else...

If only I could store my memory on a flash drive, I'd remember the other things.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like me :sunglasses:.

Mine has all that, plus, PLUS, PLUS.......

I'm sure there's something else...

If only I could store my memory on a flash drive, I'd remember the other things.

Oh yeah, the passenger lumbar adjust!
I figured this is some kind of penance for me -cause I did flirt with buying a ….. Ram last year. The Ford gods looked down and said - you shall not receive (fill in the blank) on your ranger for you have sinned by test driving a Dodge.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I figured this is some kind of penance for me -cause I did flirt with buying a ….. Ram last year. The Ford gods looked down and said - you shall not receive (fill in the blank) on your ranger for you have sinned by test driving a Dodge.
Ah, you quoted me before I changed it.

When I reread my post I thought the "Like Me" part sounded more like an a**hole than funny so I removed it.

And concerning the Dodge, it's OK.

Owning a Chrysler product is like dating a psycho super model.

Pretty to look at, fun to be with, but can be a royal PITA to actually live with.

They do look nice, but I'll never buy another new one.

OP
OP
airline tech

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I did a small mod to the front headrest rods, I added (1) layer of Black Elec Tape to the rods that do not have the detents, it creates just enough tension on the guide to hold it in place.
The tape is hidden from view plus you can still move them up and down, it just takes a tad more effort. There was no adjustment screw - like I had hoped. I just hope that the tape will hold up during the hot summer months., at least I should never have to move them and that's a plus.

If anyone tries this little (mod) only use (1) layer - as any more than (1) layer, it's too thick and won't go into the guide without forcing it

I noted that there was not anything wrong with the headrest, it just took minimal effort to move them - Design (Grrr). I could possibly get new guides under warranty but that would require going to incompetent dealer techs (x2) who stated that my Mushy Brakes was normal and there was nothing they could do.
Well, I did the Brake Bleed myself and got a line full of air out of the R-Rear. Mushy Brakes - FIXED
I'm a former ASE Cert Brake Tech, I knew it had air, but they have to follow FORD's Rules and will not touch it unless they can CONFIRM problem. I was told they all feel this way
Sorry for my short little rant

Thanks

Skit hjälm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hilux, Ranger, Landcruiser,
FWIW
MY headrests dont tilt. I sit up straight and bugged me constantly brushing back of my head.
I simply turned headrests 180°.
There’s still plenty of cushion and the distance away from my head is still adequate to prevent injury.
The detriment is the latch thingys don’t engage but the headrest friction fit snugly in the low position where I like it anyway.
Eventually I’ll see if I can move those latch thingys too.

Last edited:

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, you quoted me before I changed it.

When I reread my post I thought the "Like Me" part sounded more like an a**hole than funny so I removed it.

And concerning the Dodge, it's OK.

Owning a Chrysler product is like dating a psycho super model.

Pretty to look at, fun to be with, but can be a royal PITA to actually live with.

They do look nice, but I'll never buy another new one.
I don’t think anyone took it the wrong way - I certainly didn’t.
I like the comparison of owning a Dodge to dating a psycho super model ?. There was Canadian band - The Northern Pikes - had a great song back in the 90’s. She ain’t pretty (she just looks that way). That would be a fitting song. Pretty good music video. Typical Canadian humour.
Sponsored