Rear Car Seat and Occupant Safety Question

PotatoRanger

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6L V8 4x4, 2003 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L V6 4x4 5-Speed (Currently dead)
Hi everyone,

I've been reading up on this forum for several months now, finally decided to register an account and post.

I've been watching reviews for the new Ranger and heard a lot about how the back seats were adequate for most adult occupants. My first question is - How is the rear room for rearward facing car seats? Does anyone currently have this setup and have any pictures? I currently drive a 2008 Ford Explorer (4th Gen) and with my son in a rearward facing car seat the front passenger seat gets a tad cramped. We just switched him to forward facing which frees up so much more room but my wife is talking about having another... so I'm just trying to keep this in mind for a future purchase.

2nd question - Does anyone know anything about the safety ratings for these? I've seen some of the older foreign crash tests (didn't really seem to perform very well) but that doesn't tell me anything about this updated model. What kind of airbag setup does this come with, like does it come standard with side curtain airbags and such? I tried searching for the crash ratings and it doesn't appear that they have that information currently available. I would love to know if it's scheduled sometime soon to also help with determining a future purchase. Safety of my occupants is definitely a top priority for me.

Thanks for any help on this matter,
PotatoRanger
Sponsored

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Hi everyone,

I've been reading up on this forum for several months now, finally decided to register an account and post.

I've been watching reviews for the new Ranger and heard a lot about how the back seats were adequate for most adult occupants. My first question is - How is the rear room for rearward facing car seats? Does anyone currently have this setup and have any pictures? I currently drive a 2008 Ford Explorer (4th Gen) and with my son in a rearward facing car seat the front passenger seat gets a tad cramped. We just switched him to forward facing which frees up so much more room but my wife is talking about having another... so I'm just trying to keep this in mind for a future purchase.

Thanks for any help on this matter,
PotatoRanger
Any rear facing seat in the Ranger is going to make things uncomfortable. Those car seats take up so much space! That is a holdup for me currently as I have a rear facing seat and I know it won't fit in the rear well after a few test drives. I should say that it will fit, but the front passenger seat space will be pretty cramped. The only way to know if your specific seat will work in the Ranger for you is to find a dealer that will let you test it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I can't say for the Ranger, but I know it's larger than my Focus ST which I did have to get creative with the driver/front passenger seating position in order to properly and safely fit a rear facing seat. My son was 4 when I took a direct drivers side impact from an Oldsmobile 88. We were crossing traffic, and the lady hit us at full speed, no brakes. The airbags all did their job, and my son was on the passenger side in a forward facing seat, he was completely fine. The cabin of the Ranger feels remarkably similar to the Focus, so I'd suspect it would take the hit about as well, or better considering the increased height of the truck. The focus took the hit direct center of the drivers door in a 55mph speed zone, and the door still opened with a decent push.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
My first question is - How is the rear room for rearward facing car seats? Does anyone currently have this setup and have any pictures?
I second the request for pictures with carseats, both rear-facing and forward-facing. Also wondering if there's any chance forward-facing carseats would fit in the back seat of the Supercab, though I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might have a rear facing carseat around still, but I'm not sure. Both of my boys are out of them, and I'll have to wait to see if my wife is hoarding one around the house somewhere. If so, I'll get some pictures for you.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I can post some photos if and when my truck is delivered.
Are you still "Awaiting Shipment" Can your Dealer get the regional Rep to shake it loose?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Are you still "Awaiting Shipment" Can your Dealer get the regional Rep to shake it loose?
Without going too off topic the answer is yes. I'll follow up in the main thread.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In the middle was the only place I could put a rear facing car seat in a extended cab Chevy Silverado 1500. Anyone that’s been in both the Ranger and a full-size extended cab knows the Ranger has more rear seat legroom.

https://www.nuna.eu/rava

979ED948-6104-4AF2-8917-8EE9A4E56EC4.jpeg

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Google-fu hint. If you can't find what you are looking for online, try prefixing your Ranger search terms with either T6 or PX. That will bring up the last 7 years of Ranger stuff from around the world. However, even with that, I only found one crash test image for a car seat.

OP
OP
PotatoRanger

PotatoRanger

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6L V8 4x4, 2003 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L V6 4x4 5-Speed (Currently dead)
I can't say for the Ranger, but I know it's larger than my Focus ST which I did have to get creative with the driver/front passenger seating position in order to properly and safely fit a rear facing seat. My son was 4 when I took a direct drivers side impact from an Oldsmobile 88. We were crossing traffic, and the lady hit us at full speed, no brakes. The airbags all did their job, and my son was on the passenger side in a forward facing seat, he was completely fine. The cabin of the Ranger feels remarkably similar to the Focus, so I'd suspect it would take the hit about as well, or better considering the increased height of the truck. The focus took the hit direct center of the drivers door in a 55mph speed zone, and the door still opened with a decent push.
That's crazy t4thfavor. I'm glad you and your son were able to make it out with little to no injury. As a father that is definitely my biggest concern!!

I fell like my Graco car seat takes up a crazy amount of room, especially when it's rearward facing but does seem to provide a lot of safety. I'm trying to avoid trading off the safety of my rear passenger for the safety of the front passenger by having them smashed up against the front airbag.

And thanks in advance rangerdanger!

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's crazy t4thfavor. I'm glad you and your son were able to make it out with little to no injury. As a father that is definitely my biggest concern!!

I fell like my Graco car seat takes up a crazy amount of room, especially when it's rearward facing but does seem to provide a lot of safety. I'm trying to avoid trading off the safety of my rear passenger for the safety of the front passenger by having them smashed up against the front airbag.

And thanks in advance rangerdanger!
What's the rear legroom in your 2008 Ford Explorer? By comparison the 2019 Ranger SuperCrew has 34.5 in.

Edit: Just checked and it's 36.9 in of rear legroom in the 2008 Explorer.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This guy does a good job at showing the rear seat. He's not showing a carseat, but it will help to get a feel for the size.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I have a rear-facing carseat I can throw in to test for you. However, I no longer have an infant car seat with a removable base, which is by far the worst. Are you after photos of a rear-facing toddler seat like is shown in the above Silverado photo? If so I can help.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have a rear-facing carseat I can throw in to test for you. However, I no longer have an infant car seat with a removable base, which is by far the worst. Are you after photos of a rear-facing toddler seat like is shown in the above Silverado photo? If so I can help.
I actually have an infant car seat with a removable base, if no one gets to it first, I'll throw it in and take a pic.
Sponsored