First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
ForScan does not write anything to the ECU so no concerns about it overwriting the tune.
Sponsored

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
ForScan does not write anything to the ECU so no concerns about it overwriting the tune.
I was in a hurry this morning, so that's not entirely how I meant for it to sound. Here's what they told me last week, "from Adam @ 5-Star Tuning, Forescan will override the tunes so any changes you make with that will stay on the truck no matter what tune you put on it."

I told him I just wanted to do the brake bleed issue, maybe change the splash screen to something different like the Raptor or Cobra and I've been reading that the Ranger also makes engine noise come out of the speakers? If that's correct, I want that off too. He had nothing to say in return.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Apologies if this has already been asked, but other than the $50 OBDII cable, what else do I need to get FORScan? I'm also using an 87 Performance tune from 5-Star and they said whatever I change on FORScan, it'll overwrite that area on their tune?
Bsides the cable you need a Windows computer (laptop) and download the program from the forscan web site. You also need an extended license to make changes. You can get free 2month trial license or pay for a longer one. At least wat h the video posted elsewhere on here and make sure to backup you asbuilt modules before you make any changes.

Forscan only lets you change some module settings it does not flash any programing, and the ECU/PCU is off limits so your tune is safe.

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Bsides the cable you need a Windows computer (laptop) and download the program from the forscan web site. You also need an extended license to make changes. You can get free 2month trial license or pay for a longer one. At least wat h the video posted elsewhere on here and make sure to backup you asbuilt modules before you make any changes.

Forscan only lets you change some module settings it does not flash any programing, and the ECU/PCU is off limits so your tune is safe.
Windows 10 laptop here, so that's covered. I haven't downloaded FORScan yet, just no point of doing it, until the cable shows up. How much is the extended license, as I looked the other day and couldn't find it?

Yea, I'll need to find this video you're talking about, since that's the first I've heard about it.

Thanks!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
It's been a while since I did anything with Forscan but all I did was turn off the enhanced engine sound, change the splash screen an maybe one thing I can't remember.

Seems like I had to join the forscan forum for final activation.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Windows 10 laptop here, so that's covered. I haven't downloaded FORScan yet, just no point of doing it, until the cable shows up. How much is the extended license, as I looked the other day and couldn't find it?

Yea, I'll need to find this video you're talking about, since that's the first I've heard about it.

Thanks!
Its on the same page where you download the program, talks about extended licenses. There's the free trial (2 month) a 1 year amd a 3 year. Haven't looked lately but I think they are like $10 or $20. Just remember to backup before you make any changes so you can always go back to the original settings if needed.

If you just google "Forscan video" you'll probably find many.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Its on the same page where you download the program, talks about extended licenses. There's the free trial (2 month) a 1 year amd a 3 year. Haven't looked lately but I think they are like $10 or $20. Just remember to backup before you make any changes so you can always go back to the original settings if needed.

If you just google "Forscan video" you'll probably find many.
Cool, found a 10 minute video from a guy in NC. He's probably here somewhere? He said to put the tune back to stock, before you do the FORScan stuff? Exactly opposite of what 5-Star Tuning told me?

LB357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lightning Blue Ranger
Cool, found a 10 minute video from a guy in NC. He's probably here somewhere? He said to put the tune back to stock, before you do the FORScan stuff? Exactly opposite of what 5-Star Tuning told me?
I can't speak specifically to a 5-Star tune but I've been running different Livernois tunes the entire time I've been using FORScan and have never flashed back to stock to make any changes. Maybe just a recommendation by him as a precaution?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I didn't return mine to the stock tune before making a few minor changes. This may be recommended or it may have changed. If you watch early videos of Forscan use they are changing "codes" in the lines. Now, I assume through software updates, you just check the option you want. So it's possible early on you should have returned to stock but now the software is better an it's not required. Or maybe I got lucky.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I didn't return mine to the stock tune before making a few minor changes. This may be recommended or it may have changed. If you watch early videos of Forscan use they are changing "codes" in the lines. Now, I assume through software updates, you just check the option you want. So it's possible early on you should have returned to stock but now the software is better an it's not required. Or maybe I got lucky.
What you are doing in Forscan hasn't really changed, just how you do it. All Forscan does is to edit what is basically a configuration (setup) file. It does NOT edit any programming code, never has. You would need to reflash the module firmware to do that. You are just making selections of options given to you by the original programmers. Originally you edited the setup file directly, by changing the "code" for the option you wanted to change. The setup file is just a spreadsheet with different cells for different options. It gets read into the module when out it "boots up". Current versions of Forscan have have made it easier to make these edits by giving us menu options to select, rather than editing the HEX "codes" in the actual spreadsheet.

The ECU/PCU is where the engine tuning is kept. Forscan does not give us access to this area, so nothing you do in Forscan should affect the tune. Some people have reported that having a tune loaded has affected their ability to get into their truck with Forscan. Seems to be rather random.

One addition point. When you are working in Forscan, Forscan has read the file out of the module in your truck. You are actual editing a copy on your computer. This is why you need to save it back to the module and "reboot" the module to make the changes take affect. You should also save a new backup file to your computer with your changes for the future. DO NOT overwrite your original backups of your factory Savior files.

Sorry to get long winded, and I know the more computer savvy among us know all this. Just wanted to try and help some of the Forscan newbies understand what they are getting into.

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
What you are doing in Forscan hasn't really changed, just how you do it. All Forscan does is to edit what is basically a configuration (setup) file. It does NOT edit any programming code, never has. You would need to reflash the module firmware to do that. You are just making selections of options given to you by the original programmers. Originally you edited the setup file directly, by changing the "code" for the option you wanted to change. The setup file is just a spreadsheet with different cells for different options. It gets read into the module when out it "boots up". Current versions of Forscan have have made it easier to make these edits by giving us menu options to select, rather than editing the HEX "codes" in the actual spreadsheet.

The ECU/PCU is where the engine tuning is kept. Forscan does not give us access to this area, so nothing you do in Forscan should affect the tune. Some people have reported that having a tune loaded has affected their ability to get into their truck with Forscan. Seems to be rather random.

One addition point. When you are working in Forscan, Forscan has read the file out of the module in your truck. You are actual editing a copy on your computer. This is why you need to save it back to the module and "reboot" the module to make the changes take affect. You should also save a new backup file to your computer with your changes for the future. DO NOT overwrite your original backups of your factory Savior files.

Sorry to get long winded, and I know the more computer savvy among us know all this. Just wanted to try and help some of the Forscan newbies understand what they are getting into.
I might PM you later with some minor questions ?

jvm051

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Sport
It's been a while since I did anything with Forscan but all I did was turn off the enhanced engine sound, change the splash screen an maybe one thing I can't remember.

Seems like I had to join the forscan forum for final activation.
Is the enhanced engine sound just a enable/disable option now or does the code still have to be changed?

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Is the enhanced engine sound just a enable/disable option now or does the code still have to be changed?
It's just a GUI option now, has been for quite a while. You can find it on the wiki.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's an on off setting but I forgot what I changed. I think I also cancelled the noise cancelling
Sponsored