Ford warns that Active Cruise Control can NOT be used with an aftermarket trailer brake controller

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
One last comment to [hopefully] clear things up from my end.

It may be a theory as to why the user manual has a warning not to use adaptive brakes when towing a trailer with electric brakes. Unless Ford comes clean as to the reasons they put that warning in the manual we will never be 100% sure why it's in there.

BUT, the scenario where adaptive cruise causes a transmission downshift to slow the truck down, while NOT engaging the brakes, is NOT a theory. That's real. That'll happen. Is that a real issue? I dunno but it's a handicap I'm not willing to take. For that reason alone I would not use adaptive cruise when towing a trailer with electric brakes.
The transmission will downshift to control speed using both normal and adaptive cruise so I don’t agree that this is the issue. I think Ford did a poor job of providing signal and ground wiring for the after market electronic brake control and the trailer brakes will not engage in an emergency automated braking event that is initiated by adaptive cruise and the collision control system. This is why I turn those systems off when towing.
Sponsored

Phish806

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
It’s not because of cruise, it’s because of emergency braking. Cruise too, but at least you have control over that turning on and off.

but yes, the adaptive cruise will straight slam the brakes if it needs to.

As for the brake lights, yes, they come on under all circumstances, but the factory installed purple wire does not know it unless your foot is on the brake pedal. This is the ford screwup.
So long story short, if adaptive cruise is turned off, you only need to worry about EAB. And if the EAB is kicking on, hopefully you are already in the process of pressing the brake pedal which would activate the trailer brakes anyway. If you are not hitting the brake then you most likely will have bigger problems then the trailer brakes not coming on. I see how its an issue on paper and in theory. But i think real world, its not a huge deal.

If AEB comes on, you are doing something wrong already.

Phish806

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
The transmission will downshift to control speed using both normal and adaptive cruise so I don’t agree that this is the issue. I think Ford did a poor job of providing signal and ground wiring for the after market electronic brake control and the trailer brakes will not engage in an emergency automated braking event that is initiated by adaptive cruise and the collision control system. This is why I turn those systems off when towing.
Can you turn off EAB? I was lead to believe that is not a feature that can be turned off.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Can you turn off EAB? I was lead to believe that is not a feature that can be turned off.
Not sure on EAB. I know that the pre-collision system can be managed. It has freaked out a couple of times while towing so that is one that I always turn off while towing along with the adaptive cruise. I am considering changing the signal and ground sources to mirror the Ford installation instructions that have been posted in another forum string. Signal is taken from the center brake light (top of cab) and the ground is a chassis ground.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I agree with everyone, I’m only pissed off because we towed half a year before they thought to mention we could be towing dangerously. Any sane person would expect that the factory purple wire would indicate all occurrences of braking and not just user initiated ones.

Phish806

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I agree with everyone, I’m only pissed off because we towed half a year before they thought to mention we could be towing dangerously. Any sane person would expect that the factory purple wire would indicate all occurrences of braking and not just user initiated ones.
Has anyone confirmed that the purple wire does not get signal under Emergency braking or even adaptive cruise. I dont think i know of anyone who has verified this. I have only seen the assumption that this is the issue they were trying to avoid.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone confirmed that the purple wire does not get signal under Emergency braking or even adaptive cruise. I dont think i know of anyone who has verified this. I have only seen the assumption that this is the issue they were trying to avoid.
it’s a hard thing to test, but ford wouldn’t go to the trouble of tearing into the headliner if it was usable.

Phish806

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Maybe im crazy, but i am 100% ok with the aftermareket Redarc installed to the 4 wires under the dash (like i have) and turing off the AEB and not using cruise when towing a trailer. People rely on to many computers and other aids wehn driving a vehicle. This is coming from someone who would like to consider himself young still at the age of 35 lol.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe im crazy, but i am 100% ok with the aftermareket Redarc installed to the 4 wires under the dash (like i have) and turing off the AEB and not using cruise when towing a trailer. People rely on to many computers and other aids wehn driving a vehicle. This is coming from someone who would like to consider himself young still at the age of 35 lol.
i am the same age, and almost like you I’d be ok just disabling it. As long as we get definitive answers as to why the existing ground isn’t good enough, and whether or not we can rely on “off” really being off. I’ve had the collision alert come on when I’m the only car in the area and I’m going around a sharp corner. Can you imagine if the computer decided to jam the brakes under that circumstance? I admit it’s probably not likely, but I’d like an official statement.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
So, Ford is saying you can safely tow their advertised towing capacities without trailer brakes? And no cabover campers. Their best in class ad needs a big asterisk.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do you folks mean Adaptive Cruise Control? I have no idea what Active Cruise Control is.... I believe you can use non adaptive cruise control for trailer tow, Correct?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
It is confirmed by a Ford Engineer that posted in the Brake Controller Availability thread above. Here is a link to post #63 in that thread and you can then read the subsequent posts about the purple wire and brake pedal activation.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ontroller-availability.3562/page-5#post-69675

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
So, Ford is saying you can safely tow their advertised towing capacities without trailer brakes? And no cabover campers. Their best in class ad needs a big asterisk.
You're ignoring surge brakes and several other options.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I haven't read every post so sorry if this has been mentioned,..
Any good modern brake control is not entirely dependent upon brake application to activate the trailer brakes.
It also responds proportionally to deceleration with an inertia sensor.
The trailer brakes will activate upon rapid deceleration even if it is caused by AEB .

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you folks mean Adaptive Cruise Control? I have no idea what Active Cruise Control is.... I believe you can use non adaptive cruise control for trailer tow, Correct?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Active emergency braking is the feature people are trying to comment on.
Sponsored