Ford warns that Active Cruise Control can NOT be used with an aftermarket trailer brake controller

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Alby, May 8, 2019.

1. P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2016 Lincoln MKX, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
    Engineer Retired
    Garage Profiles:
    HI Chance,

Duh....brain fart on my part...Thanks!

Best,
    Phil Schilke
    Ranger Vehicle Engineering
    Ford Motor Co. Retired

2. THLONE

THLONE Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Thom
    Vehicle(s):
    68 Chev C-20, 1996 Ford 1t Powerstroke 4X4, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
    Garage Profiles:
    That makes more asterisks.

t4thfavor likes this.
  3. Floyd

Floyd Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
  4. Phish806

Phish806 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT

I hope the brake controller works better then that zoom feature on that picture...

But on a serious note, its a Redarc that is going to install how it was previously mentioned. Its going to get the signal from the upper brake light wth the new box inline and a different ground.

If you want to use AEB and adaptive cruise while towing a trailer with brakes then yes, this controller is a must. If you want to pull a trailer with brakes and shut off AEB and not use adaptive cruise, then a Redarc unit (or any aftermarket unit) hooked to the four wires under the dash will work perfectly.

Snorebaby likes this.
  5. ausable

ausable Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
    Garage Profiles:

Exactly. We have no intention of running either AEB or Adaptive Cruise while towing. The four wires supplied and an aftermarket controller is working just fine for us, and at a 30% of the cost. It's all good.

Phish806 likes this.
  6. Floyd

Floyd Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
    #81 Jan 15, 2020 at 10:28 AM
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 10:37 AM
    So what is difference between the commercially available Redarc and the Ford endorsed version?
    Modern brake controllers like Redarc, Insight and Prodigy have inertial activation circuitry which work proportional to deceleration even without tow vehicle brake activation....so where is the danger?

I have an Insight and AEB , but not Adaptive cruise control and I don't see the problem with leaving it on.
    If there is a good explanation I wold love to here it.

If the Ford/Redarc brake controller is necessary for safe towing with the Ranger then Ford has been negligent for at least a year by selling an incomplete and dangerous tow package.
    Why would Ford supply the harness to hook up an aftermarket .brake controller and intentionally endanger the buyer?

Actually the text in the Ford Ad may contain the answer, it says.
    " the only Ford Approved brake controller compatible with all vehicle safety systems"..
    The implication may well be that it is not the only brake controller which is compatible.

Lastly... did Ford intend for Ranger buyers to buy a truck with a tow package then wait a year to actually use it, or did they intentionally endanger the buyer?

7. dmeyer302

dmeyer302 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle(s):
    1991 F-150, couple of Escapes
    Mechanical Engineer
    Garage Profiles:
    The Ford kit is adding that "SST-4000G trailer lamp ECU", but I really can't find much documentation about it. I'm GUESSING it is reading CAN-bus to send the proper brake signal out.

vkb3z-2c006-a-20191211181457.jpg

8. Phish806

Phish806 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT
    I messaged Redarc a couple of days go and asked if the Redarc would still apply the trailer breakes if the unit saw rapid deceleration but no brake input. Here is his reply:

"Thank you for the enquiry.

You are 99% correct Steven. The Tow Pro will only activate the brakes when the pedal is depressed, or if the override button is pressed. These are the only two situations where the Tow Pro will send power to the trailers brakes.

When you say “truck was decelerating via emergency braking” can I ask what you are referring to? If the vehicle has a “emergency braking feature” then it will apply the brake lights to inform drivers behind you are braking. If this is the case, you can wire the Tow Pro brake signal to the trailer plug brake wire and capture ALL braking situations.

I hope this helps Steven, if you want to chat more about this please feel free to reply to this email.

For any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask either by reply email or contact our technical support line on (08) 8322 4848.

Best regards,

Todd Simpson
    Customer Service Technician
    REDARC Electronics"

Charles A Hoover and Floyd like this.
  9. Floyd

Floyd Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    #84 Jan 15, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 10:55 AM
    Thanks, good start on unravelling this issue!:like:

Now, are we to assume that the Tow vehicle wiring harness supplied by Ford is the equivalent to the "trailer plug" which would be a reasonable assumption.

What do you conclude from your conversation with Redarc?

Can we assume that the AEB does activate the brake lights and therefore the trailer brakes, per Redarc's response?

10. Phish806

Phish806 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT
    Yes, from talking to them i gather that it would basically be the same thing. I believe ford is just trying to make it more plug and play and wrapping it up in a nice neat package.

Floyd likes this.
  11. Floyd

Floyd Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Did I miss something?
    Is the issue about trailer brake activation or only about trailer brake light activation?

12. FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 F150 FX4
    So I just sent this to my dealer and asked if the sell it and how much installed.

He said it's not offered.

Screenshot_20200115-113949.png

Floyd likes this.
  13. dmeyer302

dmeyer302 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle(s):
    1991 F-150, couple of Escapes
    Mechanical Engineer
    Garage Profiles:
    No, they think there's a "trailer plug brake wire" which simply isn't true. There is so much misinformation on this it's ridiculous.

I think it's time to hang a bed sheet across the driveway and test out this AEB thing once and for all.

treimche and Floyd like this.
  14. Floyd

Floyd Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    WOW!:crazy:

15. Phish806

Phish806 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT
    Yes he said trailer plug wire, however i just took it as if you wire it into the upper brake light like ford said, it would activate with AEB without issue. I ignored his suggestion of the trailer plug wire.