Ford warns that Active Cruise Control can NOT be used with an aftermarket trailer brake controller

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Again, it's a theory for why the warning is in the manual. In fact, you'll see that I suggested the same thing in a post a few above yours! Is it the entire reason for the warning in the manual? I have no idea. If it's just that, then using adaptive cruise with a brake controller running flat on the interstate with the distance maxed in order to match speeds that are already pretty close is probably no problem at all as long as you take over braking when necessary. (That is, just use some common sense.) But is that the entire reason for the warning or is there another issue that would make it unsafe under any conditions? I don't think either of us know, so I'll continue to call it a theory without some clearer explanation of the issue from Ford.
One last comment to [hopefully] clear things up from my end.

It may be a theory as to why the user manual has a warning not to use adaptive brakes when towing a trailer with electric brakes. Unless Ford comes clean as to the reasons they put that warning in the manual we will never be 100% sure why it's in there.

BUT, the scenario where adaptive cruise causes a transmission downshift to slow the truck down, while NOT engaging the brakes, is NOT a theory. That's real. That'll happen. Is that a real issue? I dunno but it's a handicap I'm not willing to take. For that reason alone I would not use adaptive cruise when towing a trailer with electric brakes.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 1932 Ford High Boy, 1927 Ford Model T.
My local dealership said that is all they can do , said truck possibly was not made for an aftermarket controller, so they said they call corporate waiting on an answer. My selling dealership (90 miles away) told me to take it to an aftermarket installer , they won’t check wires because there is no controller offered from Ford at this point. That’s when I called corporate and put a complaint against both dealerships, I told them everything that was said from dealers and to top that off, I was stupid and paid my local Ford dealership $ 125 to do nothing but connect the controller I put in the truck ( redarc )
Great post. At least someone one from Ford acknowledged that there may be no good option for installing an after-market controller. I also filed a complaint. If anyone is as concerned about this issue as I am, I hope you will also file a complaint. Apparently it's going to take a lot more than just a couple complaints to get somebody's attention. Ford Australia has a Redarc based controller available for the Australian Ranger. I will try to post a copy of the Australian Ranger accessory catalog.

There really are only two questions that Ford needs to answer:

1. Is Ford going to release an OEM controller and if so when.​

2. Are they going to Provide a simple wiring diagram so that we may install an aftermarket controller properly.​

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There are already too many people driving rigs that they cant handle. Giving them another auto system so that they can go to sleep is not better. Inattention at the wheel while driving is a real problem. If the Ford engineers say dont do it then dont do it. This is a new truck and there will be things that will need to be changed after real world operation. For right now dont use adaptive cruise when towing, how hard is that. If you cant do it then dont tow. A man must know his limitations. :fingerscrossed:
It actually doesn't say not to do it when towing. If it was that much of a blanket prohibition they would have just turned it off when a trailer was connected.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
One last comment to [hopefully] clear things up from my end.

It may be a theory as to why the user manual has a warning not to use adaptive brakes when towing a trailer with electric brakes. Unless Ford comes clean as to the reasons they put that warning in the manual we will never be 100% sure why it's in there.

BUT, the scenario where adaptive cruise causes a transmission downshift to slow the truck down, while NOT engaging the brakes, is NOT a theory. That's real. That'll happen. Is that a real issue? I dunno but it's a handicap I'm not willing to take. For that reason alone I would not use adaptive cruise when towing a trailer with electric brakes.
THANK YOU
Hope this issue is put to rest.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I will make it clear. The Ford people think that if you use a aftermarket electric brake controller and activate the adaptive cruise it may cause a situation that could cause the vehicle to weird things. You could die as a result. Now I know that we all want to know why so if one of you would like to take it to a test track and test it and report back we would appreciate it. A suggestion would be to test in snow and ice.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Maybe one of the reasons Ford has not yet provided an integrated brake controller is that they have not yet worked out the integration required between the adoptive cruse control and the brake controller. To be successful, the brake controller needs to be able to apply the trailer brakes WITHOUT THE TRUCK BRAKE PEDDLE BEING APPLIED. After marked controllers (to the best of my knowledge) do NOT do that.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 1932 Ford High Boy, 1927 Ford Model T.
This is the page from the Australian Ranger Accessories Catalog showing their Trailer Brake Controller

Brake Controller Page 1AU.jpg

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
I have a Prodigy P3 installed currently. It works perfectly. ...
Hi Chance, can you post a photo of where you mounted the Takonsha Prodigy? I need to mount mine too, but it is difficult to find a place where it is visible, within reach and mounted square to the front.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hi Chance, can you post a photo of where you mounted the Takonsha Prodigy? I need to mount mine too, but it is difficult to find a place where it is visible, within reach and mounted square to the front.
I may have already replied to this, but I posted pics in another thread where I used big magnets from amazon to stick it to the fuse panel handle. It hasn’t moved in a year, and it’s been completely fine.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe one of the reasons Ford has not yet provided an integrated brake controller is that they have not yet worked out the integration required between the adoptive cruse control and the brake controller. To be successful, the brake controller needs to be able to apply the trailer brakes WITHOUT THE TRUCK BRAKE PEDDLE BEING APPLIED. After marked controllers (to the best of my knowledge) do NOT do that.
lawsuit time... i and tons of others have towed thousands of seemingly dangerous as f miles. Can’t wait for the piss poor foresight of ford to pay off for them.

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
That may be why the Ford installed "Redarc" controller uses the brake light rather than the 4th error in the side panel? Is that what we should doing? I expect the brake lights come on during adaptive cruise control.

Can anyone confirm if the fourth "braking" wire only indicates brake pedal application or the equivalent of brake lights on?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That may be why the Ford installed "Redarc" controller uses the brake light rather than the 4th error in the side panel? Is that what we should doing? I expect the brake lights come on during adaptive cruise control.
Of course, but it’s too little too late for those of us who’ve been towing for a year. And I’m not about to be cutting into my wiring harness and removing all my trim to install something that they literally provided 4 wires for and said “here, hook to these”

Phish806

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I guess i am not seeing the huge issue. 1. I dont have adaptive cruise on mine. 2. I usually dont use cruise control when towing with other traffic around. Its just something that i have never felt right about. However for the guys that do use the adaptive cruise, i can see how this would be a pretty large concern. Someone needs to strap a go pro on their tail lights and confirm that they do not illuminate when adaptive cruise slows you down.

But lets talk adaptive cruise. If you are on a flat surface and arriving at the rear of a car, does it merely just coast the truck and not apply the breaks at all?

Second question. If you are going down a hill will cruise control active and it slows you down, does it apply the brakes to do so there and if it does, you would need brake lights for pure safety and the car behind you. I would like to think that regulations would not let the vehicle brakes be applied under any circumstances by user or computer without the lights coming on.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess i am not seeing the huge issue. 1. I dont have adaptive cruise on mine. 2. I usually dont use cruise control when towing with other traffic around. Its just something that i have never felt right about. However for the guys that do use the adaptive cruise, i can see how this would be a pretty large concern. Someone needs to strap a go pro on their tail lights and confirm that they do not illuminate when adaptive cruise slows you down.

But lets talk adaptive cruise. If you are on a flat surface and arriving at the rear of a car, does it merely just coast the truck and not apply the breaks at all?

Second question. If you are going down a hill will cruise control active and it slows you down, does it apply the brakes to do so there and if it does, you would need brake lights for pure safety and the car behind you. I would like to think that regulations would not let the vehicle brakes be applied under any circumstances by user or computer without the lights coming on.

It’s not because of cruise, it’s because of emergency braking. Cruise too, but at least you have control over that turning on and off.

but yes, the adaptive cruise will straight slam the brakes if it needs to.

As for the brake lights, yes, they come on under all circumstances, but the factory installed purple wire does not know it unless your foot is on the brake pedal. This is the ford screwup.

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I may have already replied to this, but I posted pics in another thread where I used big magnets from amazon to stick it to the fuse panel handle. It hasn’t moved in a year, and it’s been completely fine.
Thanks Chance, I found it. That's a good alternative to drilling holes that I will pursue. 3M tape was not working well because of the textured dash finish.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tekonsha-brake-controller-install-super-easy.2559/#post-33066
Sponsored