Ford warns that Active Cruise Control can NOT be used with an aftermarket trailer brake controller

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I should try and see what the P3 does if I turn on adaptive cruise and drive slowly around a back road with a hill. I'll let you know if it detects the brake applications or not, (I'm just going to plug in the trailer plug tester so it thinks there's a trailer).
Sponsored

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Looking into it some more, it seems that language was lifted from the f150 manual. On the 150, the integrated controller does work with adaptive cruise. Where does that leave the ranger, with no integrated controller? No idea. I haven't found anything that says why it's a problem, or what happens if you do it anyway.
As I stated earlier, adaptive cruise may try to slow your vehicle down without applying the brakes (this has a significant advantage actually - in congested traffic the constant braking by adaptive cruise is sometimes unwarranted and drives the drivers behind you nut-so). With a tow spec of 7500 Lb, that would mean the vehicle has to slow down 7500 more pounds if it doesn't activate the trailer brakes (ie, by downshifting). That could be okay most of the time but I don't want to be the sucker that loses the 1:10000 (or whatever) odds.

I love Adaptive cruise control and have used it for many miles. But it would likely drive me nuts if I were towing a heavy trailer, in traffic, where I don't have full control over when and how much braking to apply.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
As I stated earlier, adaptive cruise may try to slow your vehicle down without applying the brakes (this has a significant advantage actually - in congested traffic the constant braking by adaptive cruise is sometimes unwarranted and drives the drivers behind you nut-so). With a tow spec of 7500 Lb, that would mean the vehicle has to slow down 7500 more pounds if it doesn't activate the trailer brakes (ie, by downshifting). That could be okay most of the time but I don't want to be the sucker that loses the 1:10000 (or whatever) odds.

I love Adaptive cruise control and have used it for many miles. But it would likely drive me nuts if I were towing a heavy trailer, in traffic, where I don't have full control over when and how much braking to apply.
AMEN

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
As I stated earlier, adaptive cruise may
yeah, there's any number of theories. bottom line is that we don't actually know what the issue is.

it is noteworthy that they only forbid electric brakes--trailers with no brakes or with surge brakes are apparently ok with adaptive cruise.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
yeah, there's any number of theories. bottom line is that we don't actually know what the issue is.

it is noteworthy that they only forbid electric brakes--trailers with no brakes or with surge brakes are apparently ok with adaptive cruise.
because the surge brakes will activate, the electric will not

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a theory. Today my adaptive cruise slowed me down by downshifting from 10th to 8th without applying brakes.
sigh. I know the active cruise control does that, but you missed the point.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
sigh. I know the active cruise control does that, but you missed the point.
No, I didn't miss the point. If you don't see that as a potential problem then nothing I can say is going to change your mind.

/now back to our regular programming.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I didn't miss the point. If you don't see that as a potential problem then nothing I can say is going to change your mind.
Again, it's a theory for why the warning is in the manual. In fact, you'll see that I suggested the same thing in a post a few above yours! Is it the entire reason for the warning in the manual? I have no idea. If it's just that, then using adaptive cruise with a brake controller running flat on the interstate with the distance maxed in order to match speeds that are already pretty close is probably no problem at all as long as you take over braking when necessary. (That is, just use some common sense.) But is that the entire reason for the warning or is there another issue that would make it unsafe under any conditions? I don't think either of us know, so I'll continue to call it a theory without some clearer explanation of the issue from Ford.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't see that potential problem as being a theory. That's my point.
Let's just move on.

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 1932 Ford High Boy, 1927 Ford Model T.

Why would you use any type of cruise control in heavy traffic. What type of trailer do you tow and what controller have you installed on your Ranger.

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 1932 Ford High Boy, 1927 Ford Model T.
When I searched etrailer.com for aftermarket trailer brake controllers for the 2019 Ranger, the only two they recommended are Wireless units that pick up the braking signal from the 7-pin connector itself. They do not currently recommend any controler that is directly connected to the Ranger Electronics.

I am resigned to installing an inexpensive aftermarket controller and hope that Ford will release a US version of the Australian controller they are already selling. That controller is displayed in the Ford Ranger accessories catalog on the Ford Australia website.

My problem installing an aftermarket unit is that, as far as I've been able to determine, Ford has not provided the wire color codes for those controllers. If someone knows where that information is please let me know.

It would be helpful if members posting to this discussion would describe what research they have done and, if they have installed a controller, let us know what controller they used and where they picked up the brake signal.

I think VAMIKE appears to have a handle on this.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
When I searched etrailer.com for aftermarket trailer brake controllers for the 2019 Ranger, the only two they recommended are Wireless units that pick up the braking signal from the 7-pin connector itself. They do not currently recommend any controler that is directly connected to the Ranger Electronics.

I am resigned to installing an inexpensive aftermarket controller and hope that Ford will release a US version of the Australian controller they are already selling. That controller is displayed in the Ford Ranger accessories catalog on the Ford Australia website.

My problem installing an aftermarket unit is that, as far as I've been able to determine, Ford has not provided the wire color codes for those controllers. If someone knows where that information is please let me know.

It would be helpful if members posting to this discussion would describe what research they have done and, if they have installed a controller, let us know what controller they used and where they picked up the brake signal.
Umm, have you not read the threads?

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/redarc-tow-pro-elite-install.1924/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tuson-direclink-brake-controller-installed.2831/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tekonsha-brake-controller-install-super-easy.2559/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/reese-compact-brake-controller-install.2193/

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
There are already too many people driving rigs that they cant handle. Giving them another auto system so that they can go to sleep is not better. Inattention at the wheel while driving is a real problem. If the Ford engineers say dont do it then dont do it. This is a new truck and there will be things that will need to be changed after real world operation. For right now dont use adaptive cruise when towing, how hard is that. If you cant do it then dont tow. A man must know his limitations. :fingerscrossed:
Sponsored