Ford warns that Active Cruise Control can NOT be used with an aftermarket trailer brake controller

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Why would you use any type of cruise control in heavy traffic. What type of trailer do you tow and what controller have you installed on your Ranger.
I wouldn't.
And I wouldn't use adaptive cruise while pulling a trailer with electric brakes in any traffic. You can do as you want of course, and I wish you well.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 1932 Ford High Boy, 1927 Ford Model T.

I have read those posts. And in them I cannot find anyone who has sourced a wire code from the Ford Motor Company. There are a lot of people looking for various wires with multimeters a lot of people or having problems getting there system to work.

What kind of trailer do you have what controller do you.use where did you pick up the brake signal

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I have read those posts. And in them I cannot find anyone who has sourced a wire code from the Ford Motor Company. There are a lot of people looking for various wires with multimeters a lot of people or having problems getting there system to work.

What kind of trailer do you have what controller do you.use where did you pick up the brake signal
I've tested on a two axel box trailer 7 pin and did the Redarc install w/ my posts for reference in there. Used the 4 wires that are a part of the tow package under the dash.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/redarc-tow-pro-elite-install.1924/page-3#post-37414

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The pertinent wiring diagrams are shown on page 5 of this thread.

EDIT: This one in particular shows the four wires that connect to the brake controller (see lower left). The wire colors comply with the standard color codes. However, some folks have found a Green/Black wire instead of the Blue wire. It was heavy gauge as expected and there was (in one case) continuity established from it to pin 2 of the Round trailer connector. Others have found the blue wire (I presume the Grn/Blk wire was used in some cases because there was a shortage of the Blue wire). In any event I would personally establish continuity between it (whatever its color) and Trailer Connector pin 2 just to make damn sure. The only other "catch" most have found is that the brake wire (Violet w/White stripe) is not 'bundled' with the other three but is nearby.

Wiring Diagram - Towing 7pin pg4.png
I appreciate the information. However I would like to have it come from Ford Motor Company. Things that concern me in most of those posts are comments like:

: "The wire colors comply with the standard color codes. However, some folks have found a Green/Black wire instead of the Blue wire. * * * (I presume the Grn/Blk wire was used in some cases because there was a shortage of the Blue wire)"

I hate to think that Ford ran out to the ACE Hardware Store to grab any old wire so they could keep the assembly line going.

I do not see why it so hard to get this simple piece of information from Ford. I am waiting until I do.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate the information. However I would like to have it come from Ford Motor Company. Things that concern me in most of those posts are comments like:

: "The wire colors comply with the standard color codes. However, some folks have found a Green/Black wire instead of the Blue wire. * * * (I presume the Grn/Blk wire was used in some cases because there was a shortage of the Blue wire)"

I hate to think that Ford ran out to the ACE Hardware Store to grab any old wire so they could keep the assembly line going.

I do not see why it so hard to get this simple piece of information from Ford. I am waiting until I do.
Those wire diagrams are from FORD if you look on the side and the web address printed on them.
This forum is not run by FORD and you won't get a direct answer from them on here.
I'd contact FORD customer service for answers or even try the BlueOval Forum which has a lot of FORD employees as members and they might be able to give you a better answer. https://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/forum/62-ranger-forum/

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Well fine then. As mentioned by MT19Ranger, you're not going to get a Ford answer here.
As to the Ace hardware comment, geeze. Get real.
Sorry I tried to help. I'll delete that post as it does you no good.

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well fine then. As mentioned by MT19Ranger, you're not going to get a Ford answer here.
As to the Ace hardware comment, geeze. Get real.
Sorry I tried to help. I'll delete that post as it does you no good.

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried to get the information from Ford in Dearborn and my local dealer a couple dealers while I was wandering the country. The only people who will talk about this seems to be the people at Redarc. They say that Ford Motor Company Australia is developing a controller using their technology. It is available in Australia. One technician said there is some concern about line conditioning. I don't know why I can't get this information from Ford or the wire codes.

And actually I started this discussion by merely trying to point out that Ford has raised a safety issue with aftermarket trailer brake controllers.

srgredranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Setup tech / Goodyear
Vehicle Showcase
Like it was said the wire diagram is Ford ( Ford local dealership gave me those same diagrams). The blue wire changes to black/green stripe at the second harness on frame rail below drivers door. My redarc was connected by my local dealership and still no power to brake pin in trailer plug on truck. They could not give me an answer as why it’s not working. I have power on both sides of but connection ( blue wire from redarc) when you push in controller. Dealership said they are waiting to hear from Ford Corporate on what to do. I called Ford Corporate and put a complaint in because I bought the truck to pull my travel trailer gross weight 3714 lbs and can’t safely pull it without the brake controller. I have not heard anything else yet and this was Monday May 6 . And yes I have tried a different brake controller ( drawtite one I used two times in my F150 )

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like it was said the wire diagram is Ford ( Ford local dealership gave me those same diagrams). The blue wire changes to black/green stripe at the second harness on frame rail below drivers door. My redarc was connected by my local dealership and still no power to brake pin in trailer plug on truck. They could not give me an answer as why it’s not working. I have power on both sides of but connection ( blue wire from redarc) when you push in controller. Dealership said they are waiting to hear from Ford Corporate on what to do. I called Ford Corporate and put a complaint in because I bought the truck to pull my travel trailer gross weight 3714 lbs and can’t safely pull it without the brake controller. I have not heard anything else yet and this was Monday May 6 . And yes I have tried a different brake controller ( drawtite one I used two times in my F150 )
Amen brother. I'm trying to haul my 20 x 8.5 enclosed car hauler

srgredranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Setup tech / Goodyear
Vehicle Showcase
Amen brother. I'm trying to haul my 20 x 8.5 enclosed car hauler
Right, Ford definitely dropped the ball on this one, we planned on taking a trip in June ( about 250 miles) and not sure we can now. I’m not pulling my trailer that far without trailer brakes. Sorry if this is posted in wrong thread

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Did you check both fuses? I'm specifically wondering if Fuse F4 is still good. If the controller isn't seeing the brake signal it could explain your issue maybe?? (I trust you've verified fuse F64 which feeds the 12V power).

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did they bother to do a test wire from the front Blue wire off your brake controller to the back plug in place of the 12v Brake signal? I would think that would be a part of their troubleshooting to see if there's a disconnect in the wire loom from the factory.

srgredranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Setup tech / Goodyear
Vehicle Showcase
Did they bother to do a test wire from the front Blue wire off your brake controller to the back plug in place of the 12v Brake signal? I would think that would be a part of their troubleshooting to see if there's a disconnect in the wire loom from the factory.
My local dealership said that is all they can do , said truck possibly was not made for an aftermarket controller, so they said they call corporate waiting on an answer. My selling dealership (90 miles away) told me to take it to an aftermarket installer , they won’t check wires because there is no controller offered from Ford at this point. That’s when I called corporate and put a complaint against both dealerships, I told them everything that was said from dealers and to top that off, I was stupid and paid my local Ford dealership $ 125 to do nothing but connect the controller I put in the truck ( redarc )

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired

THANKS
Sponsored