Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Hi,

I am going to get a BC for my new 2021 Ranger and would love to hear what folks use.

Tell us which brake controller you installed and, are you happy with it?
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Hi,

I am going to get a BC for my new 2021 Ranger and would love to hear what folks use.

Tell us which brake controller you installed and, are you happy with it?
Rob,
Since you are new to the forum I will be as kind as I can with this. This subject has been to DEATH on multiple other threads. You can search trailer brake controller and find them.

In a nut shell there is the Ford branded brake controller available for install by the dealer or you can do it yourself. It is the only one that is Ford approved and ties into all the safety features of the truck.

Any other aftermarket brake controller will work with the truck just fine and tie into the four wires provided under the dash. They will not work with the automatic emergency braking system or the adaptive cruise control if you have it. Your choice if that is important to you.

There is also a wireless brake controller by Curt that some are using with success. it does seem to work with AEB and ASS because it is triggered by the trailer brake lights being activated. If you don't mind using a Bluetooth connection to monitor your brakes or manually apply them, this may work for you.

In the future use the search function or do a search in Google and look for the Ranger5G results to see if there are already threads on the subject before starting a new one.

OP
OP

albireo13

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Thx. I have been searching on brake controllers but, to be honest, I haven't found a lot of information about brake controller models themselves. Most has been about wiring issues, complaining about Ford, etc.

I will continue my quest ...

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Thx. I have been searching on brake controllers but, to be honest, I haven't found a lot of information about brake controller models themselves. Most has been about wiring issues, complaining about Ford, etc.

I will continue my quest ...
The Redarc unit, which is the basic unit the Ford package uses, is probably the most popular unit being used. It's the one I use. Ford uses it with an additional module to tie in the brake light at the back of the cab to activate the brakes. It has a very minimum impact to the cab and is simple to use. Works very well. Any of the main aftermarket units will work fine, just a matter of finding mounting location/space that works for you.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this thread you will find a list of related threads. Same for any threads. Sometimes easier than using search.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Really like the Curt Spectrum one enough to buy a second when we got the Ranger.
Sponsored