Dead on road after auto stoo

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
And if the two were related, which I doubt they were, then 1 data point does not indicate a trend. Especially in a pool of 120,000 or so. There will always be outliers who have crazy things happen. That's just statistics.

Again, I don't care if anyone uses it or not. I just want everyone to understand why. I hate people making decisions based on bad data, or even no data. Learn everything you can, then decide. Even if your reason is "I don't like it", that's fine, as long as you've tried it and/or given it a fair shot.
Well, it's not splitting hairs,it's just Murphy's Law: "if it can break, it will"; so, in the OP's case it was the battery, but next time it could be a computer glitch, a bad sensor, a bad BCM, etc. I fix man-made machines with electronic "brains" for a living, and I've watch brand new machines fail right out of the box. We're human and what we make isn't perfect so I am merely eliminating one more possible source of error/failure, that's all. And it's not that "I don't like/care about saving the planet, etc", because I do...I just go about it differently, like planning my route: avoid frequent stops/red lights, or finding the most direct route from point A-B...stuff like that. If traffic lights=bad fuel economy, then drive an alternate route. Sometimes lo tech is just as good or even better than hightech gizmos
Sponsored

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I've got ASS on both of our vehicles. Tried it, don't like, turn it off as soon as I remember to. Although sometimes I don't shut it off untill after the ASS stops, then turn it off. Just my opinion.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Postal managers would come up with the idea to shut down the delivery vehicles at every stop
to look good to their regional managers in hopes of big fat bonus checks while the vehicles are getting new fly wheels and starters on a frequent basis. I retired from the Postal Service back in 94 with 20 years.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Well they ran a diagnostic test and the only conclusion was a bad battery. I will not be using the auto stop/start again. I got help quick by living in a small town but would it would have been a terrible feeling if I was traveling through a big city. I would’ve rather it died at the gas station I was going to rather than the road. As for the auto window after the garage checked my truck out it started working like normal.
So the problem is a faulty battery. Nothing to do with auto start_stop.

I mean you can go on thinking 1+1 is 14, but common sense says bad battery.

Like many others have seen.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
glad its just a battery issue. and I am glad ford includes an off switch for stop start, I cannot get used to it, tried for a week after I bought it and got rid of it (many threads on this) and love my truck a lot more without it. it just causes a panic feeling for me when it shuts down - ya I know, its me.

glad youre back on the road! I really do wish they'd enable a volt / amp meter and other gauges in the info center or on the radio screen so we can keep an eye on things. that was one feature I liked about the '20 gmc I looked at before getting the ranger, it was on the info screen if you wanted to see it. why can't ford enable it on ours????? might spot a problem before the tow truck was needed.

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
This just happened to me this morning. Driving to work in slow traffic and Ranger died. Motor stopped, all lights went out. 14,000mi 2020. Needless to say not impressed and tow truck driver raped me for $485 to tow me 18mi. While I was waiting for tow, guy tried giving me jump start. Lights came on, but could not start truck. Furthermore, I was jamming up traffic on an already busy road cause I couldn't figure out how to get truck into neutral. Called Ford and was able to do it and get truck on flatbed. Hopefully it's just a bad battery, but shouldn't the truck have started with jumper cables?

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
I would recommend leaving auto start stop on because it saves gas and thereby money. It has never been a pain and I don't know it's even happening anymore.
I don't mind it in heavy traffic where the truck sits idling for long periods. But I hate it in light traffic where it's constantly cycling back on/off and only staying off for short intervals.

It saves money only in the long run. And you won't notice the savings unless you put it in a spreadsheet and track it. You'd be lucky to get 1 mpg more versus one without Start/Stop. Anyone who wants to save money running a truck, should get a Maverick with the hybrid or even the 2.0 turbo. That's where you will notice the savings at every fill up. You will notice a savings on your Ranger only if you feed it 87 octane and rarely use the turbo especially around town. Then you might be in the 21 mpg range and not 19 mpg.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
This just happened to me this morning. Driving to work in slow traffic and Ranger died. Motor stopped, all lights went out. 14,000mi 2020. Needless to say not impressed and tow truck driver raped me for $485 to tow me 18mi. While I was waiting for tow, guy tried giving me jump start. Lights came on, but could not start truck. Furthermore, I was jamming up traffic on an already busy road cause I couldn't figure out how to get truck into neutral. Called Ford and was able to do it and get truck on flatbed. Hopefully it's just a bad battery, but shouldn't the truck have started with jumper cables?
If it is a warranty repair, you should get reimbursed for the tow. present the bill to the service advisor showing it was paid by you.

You did the right thing by calling Ford to get the truck out of park; actually the tow driver should've been able to do it, it's basically the same procedure on all cars with brake shift interlock.

Anyone can download an Owners Manual for any Ford product going back to 1996 free of charge here. During halftime or hockey intermission, I can use the time to peruse my OM.
"Anality" and senility go hand in hand, I guess

It's real easy for me to sit here in my living room, fresh coffee in hand and look up stuff in my owner's manual, rather than while on the road in an emergency situation.

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
If it is a warranty repair, you should get reimbursed for the tow. present the bill to the service advisor showing it was paid by you.

You did the right thing by calling Ford to get the truck out of park; actually the tow driver should've been able to do it, it's basically the same procedure on all cars with brake shift interlock.

Anyone can download an Owners Manual for any Ford product going back to 1996 free of charge here. During halftime or hockey intermission, I can use the time to peruse my OM.
"Anality" and senility go hand in hand, I guess

It's real easy for me to sit here in my living room, fresh coffee in hand and look up stuff in my owner's manual, rather than while on the road in an emergency situation.
Somehow I doubt it. I called Ford Road side assistance and they said I'm only eligible for $100 reimbursement. No way is the local Ford dealer paying the difference.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
I don't mind it in heavy traffic where the truck sits idling for long periods. But I hate it in light traffic where it's constantly cycling back on/off and only staying off for short intervals.

It saves money only in the long run. And you won't notice the savings unless you put it in a spreadsheet and track it. You'd be lucky to get 1 mpg more versus one without Start/Stop. Anyone who wants to save money running a truck, should get a Maverick with the hybrid or even the 2.0 turbo. That's where you will notice the savings at every fill up. You will notice a savings on your Ranger only if you feed it 87 octane and rarely use the turbo especially around town. Then you might be in the 21 mpg range and not 19 mpg.
It also supposedly cuts greenhouse gasses; obviously when the engine is stopped, but when restarted, aren't the initial first revs use a richer fuel mixture until the engine is up to idle speed?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Somehow I doubt it. I called Ford Road side assistance and they said I'm only eligible for $100 reimbursement. No way is the local Ford dealer paying the difference.
Hmmm... That's not what my 2021 Owners Manual says. Maybe 2020 is different, but I wouldn't think so.

Attachments

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Hmmm... That's not what my 2021 Owners Manual says. Maybe 2020 is different, but I wouldn't think so.
Thanks. I left out an important detail. I actually used my auto insurance (Allstate) to dispatch for the tow since I couldn't find the Ford # and was in a pinch with the traffic, sheriff, etc. Unless Ford contracts with this same tow driver my assumption is I'd only get $100 from Ford and $150 from Allstate. The tow guy's reviews are horible and borderline scam artist. Under no circumstances should an 18mi tow cost $485. They guy had the gall to charge a credit card fee of $35 to boot.

OP
OP
Willis

Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
So you trust using the auto stop start?
So the problem is a faulty battery. Nothing to do with auto start_stop.

I mean you can go on thinking 1+1 is 14, but common sense says bad battery.

Like many others have seen.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
This is a pointless argument, turn it off if you don't like it, or leave it on, simple. I turned mine off because I don't like it, if it costs me a few extra bucks a year so what, it's my money, and besides, I lose more than that in change to the damn couch every year. Enjoy your Truck your way! And yes, I am STILL looking for that stupid nut!!
Sponsored