Dead on road after auto stoo

Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Has anyone had issues with the truck totally dying when the auto stop starts back? I have 15k on my truck with no issues. Was sitting in traffic using the auto stop, the. When it tried to start, everything went black. My local Ford came and charged the battery. I got it to the garage and the battery was totally dead again. They put a new battery in it and going to run the diagnostics tomorrow. Another odd thing is I noticed is after this my auto up/down driver window doesn’t work now.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Depending on when you got the truck will depend on when the battery will take a dump. I have had mine for about 7 months now and I won't be suprized if it goes later this year. Also on any vehicle nowadays when you replace the battery you have to reinitialize a lot of accessories like with power windows. And unless you are in heavy stop and go traffic a lot I would recommend not using the auto start stop. It becomes a pain and I already disabled mine thanks to Livernois.

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger FX2
Auto window functions are tied to volatile memory, when the battery dies or is disconnected it needs to be relearned.

Just sounds like a faulty battery. Ive seen OE batteries last 10 years, others less than 1. The fact that it basically died while driving and wasnt gradual would seem to indicate a shorted battery. If the alternator was acting up you should have gotten other warning indicators long before then.

Deleted member 1634

Depending on when you got the truck will depend on when the battery will take a dump. I have had mine for about 7 months now and I won't be suprized if it goes later this year. Also on any vehicle nowadays when you replace the battery you have to reinitialize a lot of accessories like with power windows. And unless you are in heavy stop and go traffic a lot I would recommend not using the auto start stop. It becomes a pain and I already disabled mine thanks to Livernois.
Why does every thread that even comes close to the topic have to turn into a "disable your auto start stop" thread.................

I would recommend leaving auto start stop on because it saves gas and thereby money. It has never been a pain and I don't know it's even happening anymore.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Why does every thread that even comes close to the topic have to turn into a "disable your auto start stop" thread.................

I would recommend leaving auto start stop on because it saves gas and thereby money. It has never been a pain and I don't know it's even happening anymore.
It only saves money to an extent. How you might ask? Simple, 1 start up uses the same amount of fuel if you are to idle for 10 seconds. Now it doesn't sound like much but I can add up if you are always hitting all the red lights possible. A down side to it is if you hit a stop sign and it activates but then you start moving so it starts again without being stoped so therefore you used more fuel. That is why i don't like it.

OP
OP
Willis

Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Thanks for the replies. I very rarely use this feature and just used it this week to see a gas mileage difference. I didn’t have any warnings before so I am hoping it was just a battery.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Thanks for the replies. I very rarely use this feature and just used it this week to see a gas mileage difference. I didn’t have any warnings before so I am hoping it was just a battery.
Hopefully the battery is al it was, but one of the perameters for Auto Start/Stop is the voltage needs to be at a certain factory set level to operate. Less than that and it won't shut off. There could be a hiccup in the Battery Maintenance System that allowed the truck to shut down with insufficient voltage. Be sure the shop resets the BMS after installing the battery or you may have a bunch of error messages pop up.

AS/S I think is more of a emissions thing than an economy thing.
Interesting Question: If Auto Start/Stop is part of the emissions control components of the vehicle, then the battery and starter be subject to the 8 year/100,000 mile emissions control warranty?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

It only saves money to an extent. How you might ask? Simple, 1 start up uses the same amount of fuel if you are to idle for 10 seconds. Now it doesn't sound like much but I can add up if you are always hitting all the red lights possible. A down side to it is if you hit a stop sign and it activates but then you start moving so it starts again without being stopped so therefore you used more fuel. That is why i don't like it.
It saves more money than buying something to disable it (whether it's the eliminator module or a nightlight or whatever), which actually costs you money. I understand that it is a minuscule amount of money. But if at the end of the year I have $5 more than you would because I used the system, just by doing nothing, then that's a win for me in my mind. Especially when most of the time it kicks in I'm sitting for 30seconds to 1mins, sometimes upwards of 5-6mins especially at a train crossing.

I'm fine with you, and others, not liking it and not wanting to use it. That's not my issue. Everyone can do what they want with their truck. My issue is most of those who have disabled the system in one way or another feel the need to try and convince everyone else to disable it too. You telling people like me who use it to turn it off is the same as me telling people like you to turn it on, which I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It saves more money than buying something to disable it (whether it's the eliminator module or a nightlight or whatever), which actually costs you money. I understand that it is a minuscule amount of money. But if at the end of the year I have $5 more than you would because I used the system, just by doing nothing, then that's a win for me in my mind. Especially when most of the time it kicks in I'm sitting for 30seconds to 1mins, sometimes upwards of 5-6mins especially at a train crossing.

I'm fine with you, and others, not liking it and not wanting to use it. That's not my issue. Everyone can do what they want with their truck. My issue is most of those who have disabled the system in one way or another feel the need to try and convince everyone else to disable it too. You telling people like me who use it to turn it off is the same as me telling people like you to turn it on, which I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate.
With the fact that you are sitting at stop lights or train crossings for periods of time like such then I have to agree and say that is benefiting for you. It's for that exact reason as to why the system was created. I myself wouldn't really benefit from it since I know where in places that require me to be at a stop for that long including train crossing since there's none where I live. She just going to work and back I hardly ever stop to begin with since it's primarily highway driving with no stop whatsoever.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
that has always been my fear / anxiety whatever.... that the stupid thing would shut down and not restart. - glad it happened under warranty and didnt cause an accident. its not an "I hate stop start thread" its a " the engine shut off and didn't start back up what's wrong and has it happened to you thread" --its your truck drive it as you like but for those of us who don't like it, its good to be aware that it can be disabled. I get a stupid amount of anxiety when the thing shuts off and I just can't get used to it.......just seems like needless complexity.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
that has always been my fear / anxiety whatever.... that the stupid thing would shut down and not restart. - glad it happened under warranty and didnt cause an accident. its not an "I hate stop start thread" its a " the engine shut off and didn't start back up what's wrong and has it happened to you thread" --its your truck drive it as you like but for those of us who don't like it, its good to be aware that it can be disabled. I get a stupid amount of anxiety when the thing shuts off and I just can't get used to it.......just seems like needless complexity.
There were problems with the 2017 Escapes not restarting. An error message would come up in the Driver Info Display telling you to put the car in Park and restart it with the key. Lotsa fun when you are stopped in traffic halfway thru an intersection waiting to turn.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
i just turn it off whenever i start the truck and turn it on if i'm sitting for a little at long lights or RR crossing. it's not that difficult... just push a button

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
A friend of mine, also on this board, bought a Ranger and had his start/stop do the same thing. I need to get off my butt and disable mine for good.

Deleted member 1634

I'd like to read up on this assertion; do you have a link for me?
There's someone in a different thread on here who actually went through and calculated it all out based on data. I'm not sure what the numbers are or if the 1 start = 10 seconds ratio is correct, but I know there is a number of seconds which is not worth it. He also went on to figure how much money would be saved if you stuck with it. Again, I'm not sure on the exact figures, but they're out there. It was many months ago so it might be hard to find given how often hating on start/stop comes up around here...

UPDATE: Found it
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/im-impressed-with.5167/post-83210
Sponsored