Dead on road after auto stoo

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
It also supposedly cuts greenhouse gasses; obviously when the engine is stopped, but when restarted, aren't the initial first revs use a richer fuel mixture until the engine is up to idle speed?
Yes that initial start is richer.

The gain is very little unless cars are sitting in traffic for long periods. I can see the benefits if all cars sitting in traffic do start/stop.

I'm in that camp where if people REALLY want to cut down on greehouse gasses or "carbon footprint", or if the politically correct elites of America really wants to cut down on emissions, then why are all these companies forcing office people to drive back to the office? When we had COVID lockdown, the air was so crisp and clear! All those vehicles were off the road. Only essential vehicles were usually out on weekdays. Now that would REALLY make a difference. But now we're all back to driving to the office daily, sitting in traffic, wasting fuel and emitting exhaust. WTF.....we learned nothing.
Sponsored

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Did anyone ever do a study of all the short lived batteries maybe as a result of all of the repeated high current draws imposed by the ASS?? Just a thought.

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
This just happened to me this morning. Driving to work in slow traffic and Ranger died. Motor stopped, all lights went out. 14,000mi 2020. Needless to say not impressed and tow truck driver raped me for $485 to tow me 18mi. While I was waiting for tow, guy tried giving me jump start. Lights came on, but could not start truck. Furthermore, I was jamming up traffic on an already busy road cause I couldn't figure out how to get truck into neutral. Called Ford and was able to do it and get truck on flatbed. Hopefully it's just a bad battery, but shouldn't the truck have started with jumper cables?
Update. Ford called and said my battery terminal wire was loose. Hopefully that's all it is. This should be covered by warranty right?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Did anyone ever do a study of all the short lived batteries maybe as a result of all of the repeated high current draws imposed by the ASS?? Just a thought.
Ford says that their ASS vehicles have higher capacity batteries and starters designed for more frequent starts. Credible, seeing as they are the guts of UPS vehicles.

Volvo experimented with a system called KERS, or Kinetic Energy Recovery System. It used a small auxiliary flywheelspinning at ~6000rpm to restart the car, and provide motive help moving off the line and in passing situations. The aim was to get by with a much smaller ICE engine-400cc twin and about 35-50 hp, which more than enough to keep a compact car moving at highway speeds. It was able to run on flywheel only for short distances, and didn't require a separate electric drive train to achieve hybrid-like milage. The downside was that it was a rather loud system.

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
It saves more money than buying something to disable it (whether it's the eliminator module or a nightlight or whatever), which actually costs you money. I understand that it is a minuscule amount of money. But if at the end of the year I have $5 more than you would because I used the system, just by doing nothing, then that's a win for me in my mind. Especially when most of the time it kicks in I'm sitting for 30seconds to 1mins, sometimes upwards of 5-6mins especially at a train crossing.

I'm fine with you, and others, not liking it and not wanting to use it. That's not my issue. Everyone can do what they want with their truck. My issue is most of those who have disabled the system in one way or another feel the need to try and convince everyone else to disable it too. You telling people like me who use it to turn it off is the same as me telling people like you to turn it on, which I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate.
just plug in a night light behind the console,it’s disabled then

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Ford says that their ASS vehicles have higher capacity batteries and starters designed for more frequent starts. Credible, seeing as they are the guts of UPS vehicles.

Volvo experimented with a system called KERS, or Kinetic Energy Recovery System. It used a small auxiliary flywheelspinning at ~6000rpm to restart the car, and provide motive help moving off the line and in passing situations. The aim was to get by with a much smaller ICE engine-400cc twin and about 35-50 hp, which more than enough to keep a compact car moving at highway speeds. It was able to run on flywheel only for short distances, and didn't require a separate electric drive train to achieve hybrid-like milage. The downside was that it was a rather loud system.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
So you trust using the auto stop start?
It was designed to work as it works. I have 40k miles. Never turned it off.

Wifes car has 75k with Auto Stop activated.

What do you think will happen?

Thats like asking if i trust the air conditioner.

OP
OP
Willis

Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
I just know what happened to me.
It was designed to work as it works. I have 40k miles. Never turned it off.

Wifes car has 75k with Auto Stop activated.

What do you think will happen?

Thats like asking if i trust the air conditioner.
This just happened to me this morning. Driving to work in slow traffic and Ranger died. Motor stopped, all lights went out. 14,000mi 2020. Needless to say not impressed and tow truck driver raped me for $485 to tow me 18mi. While I was waiting for tow, guy tried giving me jump start. Lights came on, but could not start truck. Furthermore, I was jamming up traffic on an already busy road cause I couldn't figure out how to get truck into neutral. Called Ford and was able to do it and get truck on flatbed. Hopefully it's just a bad battery, but shouldn't the truck have started with jumper cables? I know it’s a bad feeling.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Update. Ford called and said my battery terminal wire was loose. Hopefully that's all it is. This should be covered by warranty right?
If the terminal on the battery is defective, then it is covered. If it was just a loose cable on the battery, hopefully the dealer wouldn't charge you for turning a wrench half a turn. But, some have a minimum $25-$75 charge for any non-warranty work.

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
If the terminal on the battery is defective, then it is covered. If it was just a loose cable on the battery, hopefully the dealer wouldn't charge you for turning a wrench half a turn. But, some have a minimum $25-$75 charge for any non-warranty work.
there was no charge.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
There were problems with the 2017 Escapes not restarting. An error message would come up in the Driver Info Display telling you to put the car in Park and restart it with the key. Lotsa fun when you are stopped in traffic halfway thru an intersection waiting to turn.
it is BS technology that adds nothing of value to my life - and I seriously just cannot get used to it, and I tried for a week right after I bought the truck.... cant do it.
Sponsored