First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Business owner
I see you also removed your sway bar link - that really makes things much easier. I went one step further and took off the caliper and rotor so I didn't have all that weight fighting me while I attached the upper ball joint. An extra step, but worth it.
Yeah, pretty easy job with the correct tools and taking the proper steps.
Sponsored

winmag4582001

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
I thought I was smart. LOL
Driver's side went easy, passenger side knuckle came apart. Spent 5hrs trying to get it back together before I said "F it" and went to the dealership. $329 later, the passenger side was done.
If I were to do it again, I'd just take off the axle nut and remove it to give plenty of wiggle room.
r1.jpg

r2.jpg

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I followed this video and had no issues. I was nervous but it was pretty simple. You'll do fine!
Thanks but I ended up having the local dealer do the front struts. They quoted me 3 hours labor ($420) for the job. I used all the Rewards points I got from purchase of the Ranger so it only cost me $168. For me well worth it as it maintains the warranty and if there are any problems it will be on them.

Oddly enough they could not do the alignment. Told me their machine wasn't set up for Rangers yet. I'll be getting that done at the local Goodyear dealer this week.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I just did my driverside. Mostly. I thought I had the axle completely free, but it came apart from the engine side. Boot is fine. It's just pulled out. Can I fix that?

OP
OP
RangerFD

RangerFD

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Firefighter
I just did my driverside. Mostly. I thought I had the axle completely free, but it came apart from the engine side. Boot is fine. It's just pulled out. Can I fix that?
You can try. Look up a couple videos. You need to align it and start rotating the rotor. I couldn’t get mine

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
See this link for a picture: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/cv-axle-shaft-damaged-after-installing-fox-stage-1-lift.4942/

Apparently those bearings can fall off into the boot when over extended. That is the inner side BTW.

Edit: If there is no clip that broke or fell off, then you might be able to finnagle bearing back on and get it all back together without taking boot off. Maybe even pull axle off the truck as one last ditch effort.
Im starting to think there isnt a housing clip to hold the balls in, because of how easy its sounds to separate.

Last edited:

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
See this link for a picture: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/cv-axle-shaft-damaged-after-installing-fox-stage-1-lift.4942/

Apparently those bearings can fall off into the boot when over extended. That is the inner side BTW.

Edit: If there is no clip that broke or fell off, then you might be able to finnagle bearing back on and get it all back together without taking boot off. Maybe even pull axle off the truck as one last ditch effort.
Im starting to think there isnt a housing clip to hold the balls in, because of how easy its sounds to separate.
My boot is fine and all. Feels okay. I'm gonna try and ram it back in and hope for the best I guess.

austinb324

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
My boot is fine and all. Feels okay. I'm gonna try and ram it back in and hope for the best I guess.
How'd it go for you?
I just did mine yesterday and as I mentioned in another thread, the primary reason I could not get my axle to pop back into the joint was that the boot had an air tight seal so when the axle was pulled out of the joint and extended away, it created a vacuum effect in the boot which caused the boot to collapse inward. This effect was keeping pressure on the bearings in ways that wouldn't allow them to align to the joint when trying to push it back in. All I did was lift up carefully on the main boot clamp and heard air rush into the boot and it immediately poofed back out to a normal shape. After that, I got it popped back in within 5 minutes of carefully trying.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
How'd it go for you?
I just did mine yesterday and as I mentioned in another thread, the primary reason I could not get my axle to pop back into the joint was that the boot had an air tight seal so when the axle was pulled out of the joint and extended away, it created a vacuum effect in the boot which caused the boot to collapse inward. This effect was keeping pressure on the bearings in ways that wouldn't allow them to align to the joint when trying to push it back in. All I did was lift up carefully on the main boot clamp and heard air rush into the boot and it immediately poofed back out to a normal shape. After that, I got it popped back in within 5 minutes of carefully trying.
I'm great. Muscled it in with no problem and been harsh AF on the truck since.

veloci1

First Name
andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4wd XLT Ionic Silver.
I'm great. Muscled it in with no problem and been harsh AF on the truck since.
quick question for you guys: i have read that if you remove the cam bolts (bolts attaching the lower control arm to the frame, also, you need to place marks on where the alignment cams are, ) then, there are no issues removing the struts and there is no risk of the axle coming off. there is a video of one member doing this and it seems so much easier and safer. how come no one is trying that methodology? just asking since i am next to do this project. see below:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+remove+front+a-arms+2019+ford+ranger+4wd&&view=detail&mid=6A10E7E169D6AF9AD01F6A10E7E169D6AF9AD01F&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=how+to+remove+front+a-arms+2019+ford+ranger+4wd&qpvt=how+to+remove+front+a-arms+2019+ford+ranger+4wd&FORM=VDRE

Last edited:

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
quick question for you guys: i have read that if you remove the cam bolts (bolts attaching the lower control arm to the frame, also, you need to place marks on where the alignment cams are, ) then, there are no issues removing the struts and there is no risk of the axle coming off. there is a video of one member doing this and it seems so much easier and safer. how come no one is trying that methodology? just asking since i am next to do this project. see below:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+remove+front+a-arms+2019+ford+ranger+4wd&&view=detail&mid=6A10E7E169D6AF9AD01F6A10E7E169D6AF9AD01F&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=how+to+remove+front+a-arms+2019+ford+ranger+4wd&qpvt=how+to+remove+front+a-arms+2019+ford+ranger+4wd&FORM=VDRE
Never saw that.

veloci1

First Name
andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4wd XLT Ionic Silver.
Never saw that.
i did exactly that today. never a concern with the axle. it took me 3 hours. driver side 2 hours, the passenger side was much faster. i am getting an alignment tomorrow and saved myself some $. around here all shops i spoke with wanted $500 plus for the install.

i will post pictures tomorrow.
Sponsored