CV shaft dislocated when installing leveling kit

Dean Rogers

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Man I wish I'd have read this thread before I did my install. My CV shaft came apart too. 2020 FX4. I've levelled a lot of trucks, including my 2019 Ranger and had no issues. I've been lucky in the past. So I ended up pulling the shaft, fixing the C ring and repacking the grease. I've learned my lesson. That one 35 mm axle bolt could have saved me hours if I'd have loosened if up. If anyone is considering doing the level themselves (which I still highly recommend) loosen the CV bolt. It's pretty easy and will save you a headache.
Sponsored

WhtRanger

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger lariat
Yikes this thread kinda scared me to do the 2.5 rc level myself, shop quoted me around 500 to do it..

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Remove axle nut and push the axle out of the hub and you will be fine. I personally would also recommend getting a good pitman arm puller. I found a cheap set on Amazon that came with a bunch of sizes that made short work of pushing axle out of wheel as well as tie rod end and uca ball joint. Easier than beating the hell out of stuff with a hammer.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Yikes this thread kinda scared me to do the 2.5 rc level myself, shop quoted me around 500 to do it..
Not too bad of a deal if it includes the alignment afterwards .

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
It’s doable if you remove the axle nut and push it through and out of the way. If you have aluminum knuckles, ball joint and tie rod removal are a breeze. Raise and support both sides - not one at a time. You need some decent wrenching skills and proper tools but it can be done. You can also make it a bit easier to manage if you remove the calliper and rotor.

But, as @rydfree says, if that quote includes the alignment that will be needed after the level, ($120-$150), it’s worth serious consideration.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
It took me 30 minutes a corner for a level kit.

You absolutely have to remove the axle nut and break free the knuckle side of the CV.

Loosely thread the axle nut back on the CV and tap it with a soft hammer. If you don't do that, the splines could be "seized" in the knuckle and behave like you never removed the axle nut.

Bravohook

First Name
Addame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Sheepdog
Just did the Fox 2.0 today. Got it down to 20 min a side now. Popping the axle nut off and pushing axle out is a must. I also removed the sway bar from the truck frame and that made it way easier then trying to get it off the knuckle. I popped the link off the lower ball socket but was able to get it back together with a big set of channel locks.

Jthomp19

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger fx4
Occupation
Trophy husband
Same story here. I removed the axle nuts. Driver side super easy. Passenger side still pooped inner cv out. Still can’t get it back in. I removed the caliper and rotor. Wiggle twist turn push to no avail. My worries are growing.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Push in and twist until the axle 'binds' then smack it with a rubber mallet. Make sure you have the axle nut on so you don't damage the threads.

Jthomp19

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger fx4
Occupation
Trophy husband
That was a task for sure. Tedious and frustrating but finally all done. I miss live axles in the front. Awe the good old days.