First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Can you remove the shaft until you can get it fixed?
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I got away with it...my splines had disconnected on both sides during my install but I did manage to get them aligned without the CV blowing up...not something I'd want to do again lol...
fmxvi0y-jpg.jpg

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I got away with it...my splines had disconnected on both sides during my install but I did manage to get them aligned without the CV blowing up...not something I'd want to do again lol...
fmxvi0y-jpg.jpg
This is exactly what happened to me, on both sides! Some patience and it went back in. It was actually pretty easy to get back in once we lifted up on the suspension and held everything in place close to where it was supposed to be geometry wise.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly what happened to me, on both sides! Some patience and it went back in. It was actually pretty easy to get back in once we lifted up on the suspension and held everything in place close to where it was supposed to be geometry wise.
I had the whole thing bungeed up to keep it from dropping and slowly jacked the suspension up while I rocked the hub until it lined up and back in...it was a heart attack moment for both sides :crazy:

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had the whole thing bungeed up to keep it from dropping and slowly jacked the suspension up while I rocked the hub until it lined up and back in...it was a heart attack moment for both sides :crazy:
Heart attack here too! We kept everything all nice and lined up. It went sideways when we went to install the new Eibach strut and spring (very much taller!). Pushing down on the lower control arm caused it to pop out and my butt-hole to pucker! :crackup:

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
You can drive without it?

I think you can drive without the front drive shaft (not certain) You can’t put it into 4-wheel drive, but you can’t do that anyway.

Dhass68

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Brake and Suspension mechanic
you definitely can NOT drive it without the axle in place, not only would you destroy the hub bearing(likely quite quickly) but all of the front diff oil would come out as there is nothing in the diff hole where the axle goes in

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
This happened to us as well but we didn't catch it in time and it tore the CV boot. Backed it out if the bay, heard a KUCHUNK and looked at each other and said, uh, that sounded expensive. Pulled it back in and this is what we saw.

20200905_093922.jpg

CV boot ($60) is on national backorder with no ship date due to pandemic (aka Galactic Backorder). Ended up having to buy a whole new axle ($197) which has the boots.

20200902_093938.jpg

Drove it for a week with torn boot until part arrived (undesirable but it was fine) and we could get back into the shop. Could have been worse I suppose but wasn't thrilled in the moment. But my guy is great, we got through it, no harm no foul, lesson learned.
I'm guessing you didn't have the axle nut removed when doing the installation?

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing you didn't have the axle nut removed when doing the installation?
We didn't, no. We followed along with the Stage 3 video and like others, ended up like this.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
We didn't, no. We followed along with the Stage 3 video and like others, ended up like this.
Thanks! My Ford/Fox kit arrived yesterday. I have the space, tools and knowledge to do the install. I've done plenty of lifts on JK and JL Wranglers and even a Nissan Frontier but this axle shaft thing on the Ranger is my biggest concern.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Thanks! My Ford/Fox kit arrived yesterday. I have the space, tools and knowledge to do the install. I've done plenty of lifts on JK and JL Wranglers and even a Nissan Frontier but this axle shaft thing on the Ranger is my biggest concern.

Watch that video and DO NOT watch the Stage 3 Video. It's pretty simple if you remove the axle nut!

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation

Watch that video and DO NOT watch the Stage 3 Video. It's pretty simple if you remove the axle nut!
Great video. I like how he removed the brake caliper and disc too. I've also downloaded the Ford directions.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Great video. I like how he removed the brake caliper and disc too. I've also downloaded the Ford directions.
I followed this video and had no issues. I was nervous but it was pretty simple. You'll do fine!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Just did my Fox 2.0 kit, axle nuts come off, see pic.

20200902_114246.jpg
I see you also removed your sway bar link - that really makes things much easier. I went one step further and took off the caliper and rotor so I didn't have all that weight fighting me while I attached the upper ball joint. An extra step, but worth it.
Sponsored