Colorado bent frame

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I guess my point was that since this failure has happened so infrequently, and that we both agree that overloading happens more frequently, then something else besides just overloading is the cause. Simply overloading it wouldn't result in this type of failure, unless you went crazy beyond the limits which is extremely unlikely to happen with a little 2100lb trailer in normally designed for conditions. I'm also not saying the engineers missed something or screwed up the loading either. Frame bending is pretty basic and one of the first things considered, so I don't doubt the analysis is correct there. I was just saying you can't engineer for everything.

And I think you said exactly what I'm saying, it can't be proven. But my take on that is that we shouldn't be outright blaming the driver as the default. Things happen, and sometimes there's no one to blame and that's all there is to it.
I think people just get used to getting away with overloading their vehicles because there is so much safety factor built in, but eventually you reach the point that your luck runs out. The truck in question is a ZR2 Colorado, which only has 1100 pounds payload. Let's say you're right and it's a properly loaded 2100lb trailer. That means 210lb tongue weight and 890lb left for passengers + anything in the bed. What are the odds the bed is empty and there are no passengers? But wait--the pictures show at least 3 jerry cans strapped onto the front of the trailer (that's 120lbs right there) plus either a generator or storage box, and then something else in front of that. Regardless of what else is in the trailer, that's probably over 200lb just of stuff sitting on the front of that trailer and it's probably significantly unbalanced forward. Max tow rating for a Colorado ZR2 is 5000lb trailer/500lb tongue, and at 500lb on the tongue you'd only have 600lb for passengers and stuff in the bed. And how likely is it that someone would tow a trailer around with a pickup that has a cap and an empty bed? Wait! I forgot to even think of the weight of the cap...that's another couple hundred pounds right there! I think it's more likely than not that he was over both the trailer rating and the payload rating. Add in joyriding off-road or at least off pavement at immoderate speeds and the dynamic load was probably huge. So yeah, someone can probably get away with overloading their truck, or with not configuring their trailer properly, or with going too fast for load & conditions, etc., but if they do all of those things there's a good chance it might bite them in the behind. I guess you can say it's just one of those things, but a more conservative approach would have probably prevented the problem. Whether buying a new truck is worth the fun of not being more careful is a decision everybody has to make for themselves.
Sponsored

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
The interesting part is the Colorado's that failed. They are all the same trim, ZR2. Hmmmmm...

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The interesting part is the Colorado's that failed. They are all the same trim, ZR2. Hmmmmm...
The ZR2 presents itself as a "Rough and Tough" off-roader.

The problem apparently shows up when people get "Rough and Tough" with it off road :)

Believing the hype that goes with their uber truck can lead to questionable decisions, like the Space-X imitation done by this Raptor.

giphy.gif

If you figure the truck is roughly 20ft long, he was easily 20+ft in the air.

I'll bet that landing hurt.

Deleted member 1634

I think people just get used to getting away with overloading their vehicles because there is so much safety factor built in, but eventually you reach the point that your luck runs out. The truck in question is a ZR2 Colorado, which only has 1100 pounds payload. Let's say you're right and it's a properly loaded 2100lb trailer. That means 210lb tongue weight and 890lb left for passengers + anything in the bed. What are the odds the bed is empty and there are no passengers? But wait--the pictures show at least 3 jerry cans strapped onto the front of the trailer (that's 120lbs right there) plus either a generator or storage box, and then something else in front of that. Regardless of what else is in the trailer, that's probably over 200lb just of stuff sitting on the front of that trailer and it's probably significantly unbalanced forward. Max tow rating for a Colorado ZR2 is 5000lb trailer/500lb tongue, and at 500lb on the tongue you'd only have 600lb for passengers and stuff in the bed. And how likely is it that someone would tow a trailer around with a pickup that has a cap and an empty bed? Wait! I forgot to even think of the weight of the cap...that's another couple hundred pounds right there! I think it's more likely than not that he was over both the trailer rating and the payload rating. Add in joyriding off-road or at least off pavement at immoderate speeds and the dynamic load was probably huge. So yeah, someone can probably get away with overloading their truck, or with not configuring their trailer properly, or with going too fast for load & conditions, etc., but if they do all of those things there's a good chance it might bite them in the behind. I guess you can say it's just one of those things, but a more conservative approach would have probably prevented the problem. Whether buying a new truck is worth the fun of not being more careful is a decision everybody has to make for themselves.
The scenario you're positing is plenty likely. And maybe in fact what happened. I'm not denying that. There are plenty of stupid and overly confident people out there, we all know that. I would consider myself one of them from time to time, we all have our moments.

Last edited by a moderator:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 has roughly 1/3 lower payload rating than baseline colorado. It's clearly a tradeoff between off-road capability and hauling ability.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
ZR2 has roughly 1/3 lower payload rating than baseline colorado. It's clearly a tradeoff between off-road capability and hauling ability.
True, but the reason the payload is lowered is those fancy shocks. Structurally, there's no difference.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, but the reason the payload is lowered is those fancy shocks. Structurally, there's no difference.
It's got a taller suspension and a wider track. How does that affect how the truck behaves with a load? I don't know...but chevy seems to think it matters.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Bigger diameter tires changes the structural loading of the suspension points and thus the loading on the frame. Think lever arm in relation to torque.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Different era. Engineering and manufacturing today are able to design these trucks so precise, compared to previous years, that they have very little excess capacity.
That is it right there. ?
These companies are trying to push to the limits so they can out do each other. I think sometimes they are rated way to close. Just because you can does not mean you should do.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I was amazed when I installed the Shrockworks Rocksliders on my truck how easily the 1/2" dia. through the frame bolts would crush the frame if you didn't take care not to do so.
Don't overload the truck, no worries.
I hear you, I made sure to only use the specified torque on the bolts, would have been easy to over torque and dent in the frame.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
That crumple zone is strategically placed for safety though. I haven't looked at my Ranger to see if it has a similar crumple zone where my former Colorado ZR2 had one.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
"After going through a dip and bouncing back"

I am guessing this is the understatement of the year

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That crumple zone is strategically placed for safety though. I haven't looked at my Ranger to see if it has a similar crumple zone where my former Colorado ZR2 had one.
Crumple zone in the Ranger is the rear wheel arch. Some photos on 5G that show rear end collisions and that’s where they yield
Sponsored