First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
One was a z71, and the other was a zr2. The z71 could be had for 32, and the zr2 was 39 out the door. My ranger was 42 and change out the door with extended warranty.
4x4 Crew Cab

Base Chevy ZR2 = $42,390 https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/previous-year/colorado/build-and-price/trim

Base Ford Ranger Lariat = $39,030 https://shop.ford.com/build/ranger/?vhptid=fv-2722-vhp-ranger-ctrl:billboard:slide0:na:ford ranger#/config/Config[|Ford|Ranger|2019|1|1.|500A.R4F.....99H.CAB.AWD.44U.RETAIL.LAR.]

You paid $42 for an XLT Ranger? It must have had a lot of extra's?

When you look at apples vs apples the numbers clearly show the Chevy's are more $$$ than the Ford's
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fish

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red, 1993 F-150 XLT
Occupation
HVACR
Vehicle Showcase
If they would fill the wheel wells with tires.. it's a good look. I'm at a loss as to why all truck manufacturer's design the Tire / Wheel Well such that a small child can set on the tire and still see out? I guess they want everybody to see the frame?

CamaroOct071_zps6aca0c32.jpg
Very Nice SS John!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
4x4 Crew Cab

Base Chevy ZR2 = $42,390 https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/previous-year/colorado/build-and-price/trim

Base Ford Ranger Lariat = $39,030 https://shop.ford.com/build/ranger/?vhptid=fv-2722-vhp-ranger-ctrl:billboard:slide0:na:ford ranger#/config/Config[|Ford|Ranger|2019|1|1.|500A.R4F.....99H.CAB.AWD.44U.RETAIL.LAR.]

You paid $42 for an XLT Ranger? It must have had a lot of extra's?

When you look at apples vs apples the numbers clearly show the Chevy's are more $$$ than the Ford's

42 is after tax, title, destination charges, and extending the warranty to 125K. The other prices were also my out the door pricing. I don't even bother with the prices they advertise as it's nowhere near what you're actually going to pay.

My dad bought a completely loaded lariat from the same place, and it was almost 49K. Mind you we both got them very early, before any incentives were offered.

Also, if you ever shop a Chevy, note that they price them at 50K so they can make you feel all warm and squishy when you "negotiate" them down 10-15K... It's the name of the game at the bowtie dealerships.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
5k more for a Ranger vs a Colorado? Could you explain that further? Must not be comparing apples to apples. When we were shopping for a truck there was no money "savings" for buying Chevy.

Colorado and Ranger.jpg

Base model Ranger might be cheaper but once you add options there is a price difference.
Problem is the Ranger base model can be a good deal but the minute you add options it gets expensive because you can not just add the option you have too add packages.
A Z71 can be had right now for around 32,000 $ and mainly because of rebates. There is like 4,000 + in rebates.
Add on everything to the Ranger the Z71 has. The Z71 has heated seats and power seats.
Just add them on and you see a difference with just two things, the problem is they only come in more expensive packages and not just a option on the Ranger.
Also Z71 is also a off road package which means you need to add FX4 too. I think the FX4 package is better though than the Z71 package . This should change over time and probably easier for ford to make the truck this way.

When I priced the Ranger out with all the options I have now it was almost 38,000 and now there is a rebate so it would be less. I paid around 31,000 for my Colorado but that was several years ago and i could get the same truck now around 32,000.
This is the reason i have not pulled the trigger on a Ranger yet. I think next year will be cheaper. Also the 2020 Ranger comes with a few things I want standard. So even if the price does not come down I can save a couple of thousands by not buying packages I do not need to get the items I want. I think next year there is a price war too..

Now the ZR2 that is expensive but it is one of the best off road midsized because of dual lockers.
I just am not a fan of it and it is way way to expensive to me.

Edit:
I just checked and a few of the rebates expired but a Z71 can still be had for 33,000 and those rebates come back every few months.

https://www.heiserchevrolet.com/Veh...ox_4_Wheel_Drive_Z71-West_Allis-WI/3502245973

The Colorado has been around a bit and one of the reasons it is discounted more.

I think they will be more comparable in price latter on when those that had to have the Ranger right away do..

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Base model Ranger might be cheaper but once you add options there is a price difference.
Problem is the Ranger base model can be a good deal but the minute you add options it gets expensive because you can not just add the option you have too add packages.
A Z71 can be had right now for around 32,000 $ and mainly because of rebates. There is like 4,000 + in rebates.
Add on everything to the Ranger the Z71 has. The Z71 has heated seats and power seats.
Just add them on and you see a difference with just two things, the problem is they only come in more expensive packages and not just a option on the Ranger.
Also Z71 is also a off road package which means you need to add FX4 too. I think the FX4 package is better though than the Z71 package . This should change over time and probably easier for ford to make the truck this way.

When I priced the Ranger out with all the options I have now it was almost 38,000 and now there is a rebate so it would be less. I paid around 31,000 for my Colorado but that was several years ago and i could get the same truck now around 32,000.
This is the reason i have not pulled the trigger on a Ranger yet. I think next year will be cheaper. Also the 2020 Ranger comes with a few things I want standard. So even if the price does not come down I can save a couple of thousands by not buying packages I do not need to get the items I want. I think next year there is a price war too..

Now the ZR2 that is expensive but it is one of the best off road midsized because of dual lockers.
I just am not a fan of it and it is way way to expensive to me.

Edit:
I just checked and a few of the rebates expired but a Z71 can still be had for 33,000 and those rebates come back every few months.

https://www.heiserchevrolet.com/Veh...ox_4_Wheel_Drive_Z71-West_Allis-WI/3502245973

The Colorado has been around a bit and one of the reasons it is discounted more.

I think they will be more comparable in price latter on when those that had to have the Ranger right away do..

I have a family full of GM employees who are constantly showing me stickers for 10-15K more than their out the door price. Worst offense I've seen is the Silverado "Allstar" package which is stickered $48K and sells for $25K (The GM discount is only $2K)

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Appearance is so subjective. I find it interesting that they're announcing so early that nothing will really change in 2021 except appearance.
And the appearance isn't really even changing all that much. This market experiences a lot of small tweaks, but major body style updates seem a lot less frequent than other vehicles. Not sure if the increased competition from Ford and Jeep will change that or not.